Scared the bejezzers out of me

misfish

Finally got to get out for an afternoon hunt for the brown fur animal. Get there and I could only get about 50 yards in due to the snow getting heavy with the warmer temps. I start walking the lane in and there are tracks everywhere. Fresh as fresh could be. It would seem I was probly an hour or so to late to catch them in the field as the tracks went out to the field and they came right back out.

(buddy at work said he,s been finding the same thing were he is,the anmails seem to be hitting the fields in the afternoon)There were about 6 sets of tracks through out the lane that did this.There is a big brute there as this one track was HUGE.

I figured I would set up on the fence line that leads from the thick greens,through an opening which went into the field.Maybe catch the big boy heading out again.

Would like to thank all the replies about the clothing. I was toasty warm.

Anyways,I sat from 2 pm til 5 then thats when I had the bejezzers scared out of me. I heard some rustling going on just inside the bush,so I decided to do some grunting. Holy crapolla,these wild dogs came out a yelpping and hollowing. I took a bead on the biggest one of all. They yelped and hollowed for about 5 minutes. I thought for sure they were going to head for me,but thankfully they ran off. I,ll tell ya,I have never been so close to crapp,n me pants after that.

Anyone else ever have this happen? Would they attack? Is it against the law to shoot them? If not,i,ll be taking them out when I can.

If I was about to be attacked by a wild dog the legality of shooting it wouldnt cross my mind.

I had no issues about shooting if they came close to me. It takes a little longer to reload a crossbow then a shotgun or rifle :whistling: . I took aim on the bigger one as I thought if they did decide to come at me, I would take the bigger one down,they would take off as thier leader was out.

That said, doesn't sound like they were attacking you.

I thought for sure they were going to head for me,but thankfully they ran off. I,ll tell ya,I have never been so close to crapp,n me pants after that.

Really dont want to shoot them,but then again,these dogs are not part of the natural wildlife chain.

Edited by misfish

Very doubtful they would attack but you can legally shoot them if they threaten you or your livestock.

Wild dogs or even domestic dogs left to run will harass and harm wildlife and livestock, owners are responsible for their animals and the animal’s actions.

If you see them around call the township they will get the animal control officer (dog catcher) involved, much less hassle for you.

However if you do need to shoot, remember the three S rule:

Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up.

Dan

Danny boy,these were not house dogs. They were wild dogs. A pack. I also dought the (dog catchers) would get involved as this is a problem out in the country that has been around for along time. First on the property I hunt though.

When I lived in Oro,the farmers lost newborn calfves to them. They just shot them. No questions asked.

Edited by misfish

Pack dogs( domestics gone feral) have attacked people in the past. They do not have the same fear of man that wolves and coyotes have. Yes you can shoot them to protect yourself. There used to be a serious problem north of Toronto, early 80's. There was a 2 year shooting, trapping and poisoning campaign for them. Biggest pack we encountered was 23 dogs.

Man, you golden horseshoe boys really have to stop being terrified of every creature that walks in the woods. We deal with them almost every day and we're all still alive up here. Bears, cougars, and even boars. When I encounter these creatures, I chase after them for the photo op.

Danny boy,these were not house dogs. They were wild dogs. A pack. I also dought the (dog catchers) would get involved as this is a problem out in the country that has been around for along time. First on the property I hunt though.

When I lived in Oro,the farmers lost newborn calfves to them. They just shot them. No questions asked.

Brian if they were that close, I would not hesitate in taking as many as I can out.... for you with the crossbow... one at a time I suppose :canadian:

Man, you golden horseshoe boys really have to stop being terrified of every creature that walks in the woods. We deal with them almost every day and we're all still alive up here. Bears, cougars, and even boars. When I encounter these creatures, I chase after them for the photo op.

It hasn't been that long since they dropped the bounty on wolves and coyotes.

A bear would be quickly dealt with if it showed itself within an urban area. Like the bear at the IGA in Parry Sound. People fear anything they cannot control.

:whistling::wallbash:

coyotes ,,,, coydogs ,,,, same thing 90% are coydogs and they are covered under your small game license so blast away .. when you said a pack of wild dogs i was thinking a german sheppard ,,, a pitbull ,,, and a jack russel haha g/l with the deer .. when i was setting up a ground blind yesterday i seen 2 does at noon in a field .. they are travelling all day now looking for food wit hthe dirty weather ..

Apparently you disagree with my opinion Brian. Can you give me some stats to tell me why?

Ok since you asked.

What yer talking about are natural wild animals. They will at most times, run away at a banging of a pan and pot.

These dogs are mangie and not the same,infected.. They are fearless at most times. In a pack, they are like any gang on the street. They will attack together,one on one,they will run. The main word is PACK Dan. A loner, one on one ,will think of it,s options. Yes/No??

Brian, take your crossbow with you, and bead on the alpha dog. "Nope, i can't take out all of you, just you, Ace". A pump 12 gauge loaded with #4 might be a good backup. With that sort of support, I might try the snort sniff tease, just to see if I could change the order.

I heard a pack of wolves pass by one morning after breakfast in Algonquin Park, about 400 yds away from the camp. All of a sudden, you are not at the top of the food chain, and the hair on the back of your neck really does prickle.

Ok since you asked.

What yer talking about are natural wild animals. They will at most times, run away at a banging of a pan and pot.

These dogs are mangie and not the same,infected.. They are fearless at most times. In a pack, they are like any gang on the street. They will attack together,one on one,they will run. The main word is PACK Dan. A loner, one on one ,will think of it,s options. Yes/No??

That's an opinion, not a stat. I asked for stats. I can probably give you more stats on Pit Bull attacks that you can give me on wild animal attacks in Ontario. I mean, geez. We live in the bush up here. Wild animals are everywhere. I almost hit a deer at 6 am today driving right in the middle of town. I know that we're not talking about deer, but that's just an example of what it's like living in the north. Bears, Wolves, mangie dogs, Cougars... you name it. They're all up here. We encounter them daily (except Cougars, but I have encountered one). But one shows up in Southern Ontario and everyone has to batten down the hatches. Look out everyone. We might all get killed by this wild animal. Front page news. Puleeeeezeee.. Watch out for you neighbors Pit Bull before you worry about any of Ontario's wild animals.

Brian, take your crossbow with you, and bead on the alpha dog. "Nope, i can't take out all of you, just you, Ace". A pump 12 gauge loaded with #4 might be a good backup. With that sort of support, I might try the snort sniff tease, just to see if I could change the order.

I heard a pack of wolves pass by one morning after breakfast in Algonquin Park, about 400 yds away from the camp. All of a sudden, you are not at the top of the food chain, and the hair on the back of your neck really does prickle.

Another misleading example. Do some research of Wolf attacks on man. I'll save you the time. There are none to make it worth your while. I've been within 50 feet of a pack of wolves daily for a few months near Hudson Bay. A few were 4 to 5 feet tall at the shoulders. Beautiful animals. Kill a beautiful animal for what reason? Wish I had a camera back then.