History

kentooley

Who invented that beautiful sound that gives me goose bumps every time I hear it. ACHH. My backround is Greek /Macedonian and we play it all

the time and I'm wondering if the Greeks taught those Savages how to play?? I spoke to a buddy awhile back( Charlie Fitsimmons) and I

mentioned a guy named Fitsgibbons and Charlie told me he must have been from one of those sot tribes . But what would an Irishman know

anyway. Seriously though , I'd like to know , was me mum playin with the milkman. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyone know the history of the bagpipes????

Cheers

We used to have one of the Worlds Best Pipes and Drums band called the Black Watch. But Alas the Liberals got rid of them, just like our Airborne. Too aggressive and English Canadian. I think maybe the Calgary cops maybe our best now, I could be wrong.

Edited by holdfast

the most amazing instrument produced by man

I remeber as a kid going to tatooes at the CNE grandstand or anywhere else(fergus)

its funny before i read this i had put in a cd of bagpipe bands from around the world i listen to it about once a month at work or in the car

we had a guy on our boat that was a pipe major and he used to pipe us in and out of port for the 2 years he was on board

something very cool about coming into a port as the sun comes up with a piper on the bow and a canadian flag flying high

it will be the last thing playing as they roast me or lay me in the ground

LONG LIVE THE PIPES!!!!!!!!!

We used to have one of the Worlds Best Pipes and Drums band called the Black Watch. But Alas the Liberals got rid of them, just like our Airborne. Too aggressive and English Canadian. I think maybe the Calgary cops maybe our best now, I could be wrong.

Very sad days in canada freaking Liberals!!!!!

There used to be a number of grade #1 pipe bands in Canada. Black Watch, Toronto Scottish, Metro Police, etc.. But that was in the days of the Scottish World Festival in the 1970's. That was a world class tatoo. Nothing like the sound of a thousand pipers marching into the stadium to raise yer hackles. I had the privilege of participating one year. Many brass bands were also in the same class. The 48's ( under drum major Brian Mackinnon), RCR's (under the direction of Capt. Gino Falconi), the GG's ( where my brass instructor was from, home of the Sopers), The Stad band (home of another instructor, Sgt. Llewyn).

Edited by bigugli

I've marched in more than a few parades in my day, mostly military, and I hafta tell ya, there's few things in this world that get the blood pumping better than marching to the beat of the drum and the skirl of the pipes, specially when your stepping out right behind them !!

Makes a feller real proud !!

They originated in the MIddle East.

http://www.bagpipesonly.com/origin.htm

Nemo

I can't produce a cite for it but I'm pretty certain I once read that the bagpipes originated in Persia.

We tend to think of them as a purely Scots thang, but the Irish were big on them way back before they were the Irish. The skirl of the pipes led many a man into battle. The sound goes deep into the soul, a purely visceral thing, and all at one time strikes fear into the enemy and drives fear from the heart of the attacker, far more effectively than any number of drums ever could. To this day I would rather listen to a really good pipe band than any other kind of marching band, although the Guelph Royalaires used to be pretty impressive back in the 60's with their screaming brass. Anybody remember them?

As a side note, do I not detect a hint of piping at the beginning of the new CBC Hockey anthem?

JF

I've marched in more than a few parades in my day, mostly military, and I hafta tell ya, there's few things in this world that get the blood pumping better than marching to the beat of the drum and the skirl of the pipes, specially when your stepping out right behind them !!

Makes a feller real proud !!

AMEN TO THAT!!!!!

I enjoy the sound of bagpipes, but only if the player is very good. When the player is not, it can be the most annoying sound ever produced.

I had a very bad experience at the Memorial Day celebration this year. The player was just awful.

Edited by wallyboss

They originated in the MIddle East.

http://www.bagpipesonly.com/origin.htm

Nemo

Quote from that site:

"It is also important to remember that you are likely to get as many different versions of the history of the bagpipe as there are writings on the subject. The true origin is still cloudy."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A748208: this site states probably in Asia. There are Hittiite carvings as far back as 1000BC showing a bagpipe instrument.

Maybe many peoples came up with the same idea a long, long time ago.

Its like asking: who invented fishing lures?

forrest

Edited by forrest

I enjoy the sound of bagpipes, but only if the player is very good. When the player is not, it can be the most annoying sound ever produced.

I had a very bad experience at the Memorial Day celebration this year. The player was just awful.

LOL Like Bob Dylan live at the rock&roll hall of fame concert?