Musky Grand Slam

fishnsled

The last few weekends haven't be the greatest for me on the water. A day of fish following and a day of watching Cliff hook into 4 beauties. Certainly nice to be there and see Cliff's PB first hand but what's a guy to do to get a fish?? :huh: Sunday started off with my buddies Ken and Gerry meeting at my place for 5:15AM, loaded up and on the road for 5:30am. We were hoping to find some minnows to do some jigging but no one was open. At the lake and fishing by 8am.

First cast a big fish swirls just off the boat. Good or bad sign I think to myself. :dunno: We carry on working the edge and I have a follow of a decent fish. Worked along for about another 500 yards or so and decide to go back to where we started. I changed up to a Brickn'Block special, an inline spinner that Peter made up for me last year on a outting we did. I've used it a few times without any luck but for some reason it was calling to me. Second cast with the Bn'B special and fish on! And a big one to boot! After a couple of good runs we get a luck at her and my jaw hits the floor as I'm thinking it could bring me into the 50" club, I'm a little doubtful.

Barely hooked, one hook in the skin on the outside of the jaw, I guide her into the craddle, nice job on the craddle Ken. A couple of measurements and photos, then back into the water she went. Considering the fight she swam away strongly. 48"x19", not a PB but my 3rd biggest so far.

e26df404.jpg

39677622.jpg

2f134e07.jpg

We kept on working the edge for a while and moved onto spot #2. With my newly found favourite bait, we worked the next edge. Just as we are getting to the end I have a fish on for a couple of seconds then gone. We go back to make another pass and I have a few follows and then bang! Fish #2 for me. Another great fight and into the craddle, thanks Ken. A smaller fish of only 44x16.

fb72d821.jpg

We decide to have some lunch and plan out the rest of the day. At spot #3 I offer up my hot bait to the guys. Neither has got a musky before and I'd like to see it happen. They kindly say no and and make a couple more cast before setting the hook on this beauty. 44.75x17.25.

ea3665f9.jpg

and the release.

c891d86a.jpg

Once again I offer up the bait but no takers. A fire off a dozen casts or so and hook into my 4th of the day. The boat went silent except for me repeatedly saying "Sorry" Great job on the craddle again Ken. This one would be the smallest fish of the day for me at 39".

7856293b.jpg

I once again offer the bait up and it nearly started a fight! :w00t: Not really but Ken didn't turn it down. lol! A few follows for myself but still nothing for the guys. The rain and hail came in and we called it a day. Considering neither Ken or Gerry had seen a musky before they were both very please with what they saw. I could almost call it quits for the season after a day like that but I won't :Gonefishing:

Thanks Ken and Gerry for the good times and laughs. A very special thanks to Brickn'Block for my new favourite bait. Peter, I'll need a few more of those baits. ;)

Thanks for reading!

Hey Will...great job out there but were the voicemails really necessary???

"Hey Cliff, it's Will...just got a 48"er, so put that in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!!" LOL

No...he wasn't bitter about the weekend before was he?? haha.

Great job out there...I bet your buddies were impressed!!

Will,

Congrats on a successful day.....

You sure didnt have this poor luck prior to this day when we have gone out....

I betcha your buddies Ken NGerry will think twice next time and just the fact that they witnessed your catches,

'Me Thinks they'll be turned on to the hunt now.

Cliff shouldnt worry about the messages 'Right Cliff"...better then none.

Hey Bud, when your certain, give me a shout about what setup you'd like in the baits.

Blade colour,Boo/hair, trebsNsingle or all trebs..(I actually prefer having a larger single at the end..plastics attachNlook great and ease in hook removal....

Lately Ive been using 10/0 singles for the last hook with, 8/0-trebs 1st and 7/0 trebs in the middle..........

.........------'KEEPÉM SHARP'------........!

Will,

that 2nd pic with the head shot is awesome.....If its OK with you Im going to enlarge that pic for my wall.

We'll getTOgethernext year........'Perhaps the Opener?

Great Day out Bud,

take care

pete

(Usually, about every 10 casts I bring out the file..for a couple a quick strokes to keep the edge)

Cliff shouldnt worry about the messages 'Right Cliff"...better then none.

Thanks!! Everyone loves to get on my case...LOL

And GCD...yep...Will schools me most times out!!! I had a lucky day...I can admit that....

Oh yeah, there was another reason I maybe outfished him that day, but what happens on the boat stays on the boat.... :whistling:

Again Will....great job out there...that 48 incher was a real beaut!!!