Opinions on car GPS units please

lew

Hey guys, it's getting near to that time of year where I'm starting to make out my wish-list for Santa Claus and I'm thinking a GPS unit would be nice for the truck and thought I'd see what you folks that use them regularily think is a decent one.

I use Lowrance in my boat for both my sonar & GPS units but it seems for a car most folks lean towards Garmin but it doesn't really matter to me.

I don't need fancy and am thinking in the $200-250 range and want at least a 4.3" screen. Just need something where I can type in an address and have that little voice tell me which way to turn and maybe the location of different gas stations and that sorta thing when I'm lost on a dark stormy night and can't find the boat ramp. :Gonefishing:

Also if you could please, I'm in Toronto and wonder who has the best prices ?? I've looked on the websites for Radioworld and The Source and they seem pretty decent :dunno: Also, I don't want to buy from ebay as I much rather have it in my hand before I purchase anything.

Any thoughts ??

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/category.as...um=1&sort=1

Edited by lew

Lew, I like my Lowrance XOG and I got it at Radioworld as BPS was more and was not willing to sell it to me in the store at the same price as on the BPS web site. It's easy to use too. There are a few threads here on that unit as well if you feel like reading up on older posts. BTW, it was just a glitch in my thread... all is well now... ;):D

another vote for garmin lew. i have the nuvi 250 widescreen. does everything you listed and more. the model up will say the street names, this one just tells you turn left, right, etc.

i've considered them a bit of a toy when it comes to travelling around familiar places but i bring it with me when on travel in the states and it is indispensible.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 360 Lew and I really like it. I bought this model for it's Bluetooth capability which gives me hands free cellphone capability. I find the I am using it more and more. Even for silly stuff like finding the closest Timmies.........

I've got a Garmin Nuvi 200 and I love it. I work on the road and use it almost everyday. My girlfriend has the Nuvi 250 and the only difference is hers has complete North America maps (and she could get it in pink), mine only has Canada and the border states.

Both units can be picked up for less than $200.

I think they are not legal in Ont. if they can be seen by the driver, How long before Fantino impounds your car for GPS or dvd player.

They are not illegal. If so, they better start pulling over every other car on the road. To be honest, they make you a much better driver when you're not sure where you are going. Playing with it while driving can be hazardous just like anything. Just set your destination before leaving and you're all set.

Lew, Garmin all the way. I have the Nuvi 250 widescreen, and it does everything you want and more.

Garmin and Rockwell developed the GPS system for the US military first, then Garmin was instrumental in selling the first primitive handheld units. (still have and use mine)

For your own peace of mind giet one for your wife and daughter.

just John

I have the TomTom XL one. Great unit and they just bought out one of the mapping companies so their maps are very accurate. Unit was $129.00

Mount it on the windshield or use the dash mount disc. There is a USB interface to update maps and software...used it on a recent trip and it was very helpful...especially at night with the voice commands. Just avaoid the temptation to drive the same way you do at night with a boat GPS....staring at the screen!

Thanks for all the suggestions boys, it would seem Garmin has the majority vote around here so that's where I'll probably go too.

Lew do you mind a referb model to save $$?

I always prefer to buy new Rob but thanks for the suggestion. I actually saw some refurbished models on one of the websites but they only offer a 30 day warranty where the new units come with a full year.

I think they are not legal in Ont. if they can be seen by the driver, How long before Fantino impounds your car for GPS or dvd player.

I think if Fantino wanted to impound cars because they have GPS screens visible to the drivers, he'd have to start with his own police cars with the computers & screens right beside the driver, wouldn't he ??

Like anything else, I think GPS units are excellent devices for drivers as long as their used with a bit of thought behind their use, and not having drivers punching in addresses while their doing 140 down the hiway.

Thanks for all the suggestions boys, it would seem Garmin has the majority vote around here so that's where I'll probably go too.

I always prefer to buy new Rob but thanks for the suggestion. I actually saw some refurbished models on one of the websites but they only offer a 30 day warranty where the new units come with a full year.

Check your PM this one has the full warranty

Why not hit two birds with one stone. Buy both for auto and marine/outdoor application. Buy a Lowrance XOG or Magellan 2500T (crossover. ) only two models are available as of now.

I bought an older magellan refurbish model, the 2200T at ebay for $55($20 shipping, and uprgade it to the Crossover for another $50. I just need the option of buying the Navigation map in the future. The new crossover or XOg was selling for around $170 on ebay.

Edited by bassfighter

I've got a Garmin Nuvi 200 and I love it. I work on the road and use it almost everyday. My girlfriend has the Nuvi 250 and the only difference is hers has complete North America maps (and she could get it in pink), mine only has Canada and the border states.

Both units can be picked up for less than $200.

That's funny because if you purchase the Nuvi 200 here in the states you only get US mapping and not Canada :wallbash:

If you really like Lowrance equipment I have the cat's meow when it comes to Automotive GPS unit. I have a Lowrance iWay 500c that was recently replaced with the Lowrance iWay 600c unit (basically the same units). It has a built in MP3 player that will hold 10,000 songs, etc....... Here's the unit. BTW it has a large 5" screen. As you get older you appreciate the large screen.

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Automotive/iWAY-600C/

I can remember all kinds of useless crap.

From the Star's Wheels section

A: The provincial Highway Traffic Act prohibits having any object obstructing the driver's view through the windshield or windows.

Section 73(1) HTA states that "no person shall drive a motor vehicle upon a highway, with any sign, poster or other non-transparent material or object placed on the windshield or on any window of such motor vehicle; or with any object placed in, hung on or attached to the motor vehicle, in a manner that will obstruct the driver's view of the highway or any intersecting highway."

To avoid possibly running afoul of the law, it might be best to mount your GPS unit to the front of the dash (not on top) below the level of the windshield.

For safety, motorists should only rely on audio directions from the GPS rather than watching the screen when driving.

Charges under S. 73(1) HTA carry a $110 penalty. And, yes, before you write in, I'm aware that police themselves often have equipment (radar, large strobes etc.) mounted on their cruiser dashboard that blocks the driver's clear view of the road ahead. No exemption for police under this section of the HTA could be located.

Ontario Transportation Ministry spokesperson Bob Nichols adds:

Safe driving requires that you focus your attention on driving .

Navigation devices, when used properly, can make driving safer by helping to guide you to your destination with audio instructions as you drive. The risks associated with these devices typically occur when drivers try to manually reprogram them while driving.

Drivers who fail to pay attention to the driving task can face severe consequences.

For example, a "careless driving" conviction under S. 130 of the Highway Traffic Act carries a fine of up to $1,000, six demerit points, possible jail time, and a driver's licence suspension. Alternatively, a "dangerous driving" conviction under S. 249 of the Criminal Code of Canada carries a maximum $2,000 fine and up to five years in jail. The ministry will further examine this issue to see what next-generation driver distraction legislation could look like.

I remember one of the guys at work having a tiny tv in his truck back in the 70's and a cop told him it could not be in sight of the driver but I might be mistaken as it was a long time ago and this article didn't address video screens visible to the driver but did state more legislation on the way.

I'm not trying to be preachy as I've done far worse than you ever will, I just remembered the article.