Monster Musky Reported

Big5tar

Hi all,

Just got back from Nipissing West Arm. Fishing was great. Pickerel are smoking hot and large. I just thought I'd get all you Musky trollers excited. The MNR was on the Lake on Wednesday and Thursday I believe netting fish for tagging. In their net was a reported 65 lb Musky. This monster was weighed, tagged and released. If this isn't making you lick your chops, I'm not sure what does. I will try to get a picture as I'm sure one exists....

If I had a buck for every lake that I heard about the MNR netting huge fish from, I'd be retired right now. Those stories surface every year in dozens of lakes in the Northwest. Personally, I've never seen the MNR netting fish from any lake that I've ever been on. Nor do I think that they have the funding to do such studies.

If I had a buck for every lake that I heard about the MNR netting huge fish from, I'd be retired right now. Those stories surface every year in dozens of lakes in the Northwest. Personally, I've never seen the MNR netting fish from any lake that I've ever been on. Nor do I think that they have the funding to do such studies.

they do every spring down here on Georgian Bay Dan,we have lots of tagged Muskie and other species around,May and June they have nets out all over the place

they did some tagging of pike in the south bay a couple years ago and netted a 58" and 2 57" all 3 where over 60lbs. im pretty sure nipissing will produce the next ontario record. until last year you havent been able to fish nipissing after oct 15th for musky. now you can get them all fall when they get really fat. just hope the big girl gets released.

Cheers!

Guest Johnny Bass
That Muskie would pale into comparison to the 2 they netted at Rice Lake many years ago, 90 and 101 lbs! Mind you, I don't really doubt this occurrence though, 65 lbs is obviously conceivable.

I heard the same thing about Balsam. Highly doubt it. The 65lber on Nipissing is very believable. I have no doubt there are Musky's over 70 lbs in Nipissing.

Quite true Dan!

Fish studies are done by electro-shocking now... nets would injure the fish!

Two years ago they had a net set up in Fish Bay in Nipissing. It was more like a maze than a net. One of my customers is a CO. I asked him if they caught any big fish in it. He wasn't the one who checked it out but he said there were plenty of large fish.

Guest gbfisher

Guess I'm lucky to have seen the MNR empty box nets each spring out on the bay.. <_< ....its just to bad they put them where they do cause it screws up trolling runs for them dinner fish.. :angry: .. :lol: .

I've also seen them use the same nets out on the Muskokas.

Its all good if it helps. That's if the fry survive being let go. Unlike the last fiasco......... :oops:

I caught a tagged fish this year that was over 50 and very healthy. So the net part and egg taking seems to work anyway. :thumbsup_anim:

Quite true Dan!

Fish studies are done by electro-shocking now... nets would injure the fish!

Hoop nets don't... The MNR used them out on Little Lake and Gloucester Pool this spring to net muskies for the Lake Simcoe muskie rehabilitation project.. I was luckily enough to be able to volunteer for a day and search the nets :) No new muskies when I was out, but man there are some HUGE largemouth bass in Little lake, lol along with bike pike and nasty bowfins!

They did get a 47" a few days later though in one of the same nets...

I have done netting for spring musky using Fyke nets( They have a wing which starts on shore and leads to a box) in Honey Harbour, Byng Inlet,Moon River and Magregor Bay. So yes they do use nets to collect fish. Electro fishing is more efffective in a stream or river although Ive also electrofished the mouth of the Humber River with a boat unit.

To clear things up a bit, I just got off the phone with Scott Kaufman Large Lake Biologist for Nipissing. NO musky was sampled recently in nets by the OMNR and he heard nothing of a 65 pounder. Former MNR biologist Richard Rowe who is now working with the First Nations did some sampling with fyke nets last spring in the West Arm/West Bay sector and the musky collected were mostly in the 35"- 45" range.

At ice-out in the spring of 2001 while assessing Northern Pike, Richard Rowe and fellow fisheries technicians collected several large musky in the fyke nets. I have talked to Richard about what he sampled that spring a few times and never did he mention that even one of those musky were 60lbs. The biggest he thinks may have been a mid-fifty pounder.

I'm not saying there are no 60 pounders in Nipissing/ Upper French because it's my belief there may be a handful of them flying around in those waters, but they are extremely, extremely rare.

That Muskie would pale into comparison to the 2 they netted at Rice Lake many years ago, 90 and 101 lbs! Mind you, I don't really doubt this occurrence though, 65 lbs is obviously conceivable.

I remember 20+ yrs. ago hearing the MNR netted a musky that weighed 100 lbs in Lake Scugog.

The reality is that neither Lake Scugog or Rice Lake have the forage base or type of forage that could produce fish that large.

I read information years ago by musky researchers Lebeau and Dr. Crossman stating that the largest musky they netted in the Kawarthas was a 45 lb. fish from Head Lake.

I believe Slimeball to be correct on this.

I would concur with Slimeball as well.

A 58.5" muskie was caught not too terribly far from where I live a couple of weeks ago. A fish this size is not something that is caught on a regular basis. They are relatively rare. This fish, I believe was probably just shy of 50 lbs. For a 60 lb fish to be caught anywhere would be a happening for sure.

I'll start a new thread sometime today with a pic of the 58.5" muskie.