Monster Musky Reported

Big5tar

Guest gbfisher

Here's a 58.5 by 27 cuaght not too far from ya Roy.......I measured it. :o:D

IMG_0062.jpg

It's great to be able to see what one looks and feels like and was something to lift it. :wub:

I woulda let it go myself but it's his deal and I'm just glad I was there to see it.

To clear things up a bit, I just got off the phone with Scott Kaufman Large Lake Biologist for Nipissing. NO musky was sampled recently in nets by the OMNR and he heard nothing of a 65 pounder. Former MNR biologist Richard Rowe who is now working with the First Nations did some sampling with fyke nets last spring in the West Arm/West Bay sector and the musky collected were mostly in the 35"- 45" range.

At ice-out in the spring of 2001 while assessing Northern Pike, Richard Rowe and fellow fisheries technicians collected several large musky in the fyke nets. I have talked to Richard about what he sampled that spring a few times and never did he mention that even one of those musky were 60lbs. The biggest he thinks may have been a mid-fifty pounder.

I'm not saying there are no 60 pounders in Nipissing/ Upper French because it's my belief there may be a handful of them flying around in those waters, but they are extremely, extremely rare.

My point exactly. Stories of the MNR netting huge, world record fish from a multitude of lakes have been around for as long as I can remember. Someone starts such a story and it spreads like wild fire. I'm a little less gullible than some it seems.