Mutated fish

ohhenrygsr

yea it's gross i hope i never see one in our waters or ever again

Mutated fish alarms delegates at northern Alberta water gathering

Days before a conference on water quality began in Fort Chipewyan, Alta., last week, residents say a strange fish with two mouths was found at the nearby lake.

The deformed fish, which residents say children had caught off the dock at Lake Athabasca, has since been turned over to park wardens at Wood Buffalo National Park. Some residents, including officials from the Mikisew Cree First Nation, took photographs of the fish over the weekend.

It was found just days before the Keepers of the Water conference began Friday in Fort Chipewyan. The conference wrapped up on Sunday.

The event brought together western and northern Canadian aboriginal leaders and environmental activists, all of whom expressed concern with the quality of water in the Athabasca River, downstream from oilsands development in Fort McMurray.

"It's already mutating the animals, the pollution that they're causing. We need to do something quickly," Shaylene Wiley, a 16-year-old Mikisew Cree delegate, told CBC News during the weekend gathering.

"It's scary when you think about it," delegate Lionel Lepine added.

"For me, personally, it does piss me off, you know, knowing that it's not under my control right now. It's the Government of Canada that has the control over it; they have monopoly over our land. But industry … somehow they got the licence to pollute."

north-chip-fish080815.jpg

This kind of thing happens in nature all the time. Same as humans. Extra toe or missing a limb. It just happens. People get to worked up over stuff like this. There is no real proof that it was caused by pollution yet but they are quick to pass judgement on the Government etc before any conclusive evidence.

Doesn't look too abnormal to me, just like a rotten fish with part of its lower jaw torn up and hanging down, could be its tongue with the teeth on it. Sound like Bull to me...

Burt :)

Edited by Burtess

Can't really see the mouth(es) but it looks to me like it is something that was eaten tail first and patially digested then regurgitated....hmm pass the batter.

Only way to confirm the mutation would be to analyze the DNA.

The Oil Sands is a major polluter, even more so than regular oil operations.

Interesting article here Oil Sands Article

Doesn't look too abnormal to me, just like a rotten fish with part of its lower jaw torn up and hanging down, could be its tongue with the teeth on it. Sound like Bull to me...

Oh man!... this is just too weird!!!

... Burtess and GCD on the same side of the fence??? :blink:

I always find it weird when these kinds of things come up and there is only a single picture to look at... If you came across a mutant fish or a bigfoot, or whatever that is obviously going to get people talking, wouldn't you take a few more pictures??? Different angles, or something. Give people a little more to go on. Happens all the time it seems. One pic.

That was my first thought too. Almost all fish have a set of teeth of some sort on their tongue in the middle pf the mouth. This pic looks as if the softer skin in the middle of the lower jaw has separated or torn from the rest of the jaw.

I call Bull on this one. Its just like that trout from last year that they said had two mouths but it really just had a torn mouth (most likely from being ona a stringer)

2-mouth-trout.jpeg

Edited by mepps