Sandy Haven Camp Report

Marty

Well, we’ve been back for two weeks but I haven’t been able to find the time to get a report up. I finally had some time and put this little report together.

We left on a Friday morning and spent the evening with TJ and Monique. It was another fun night of stories and . . . well, other stuff. They prepared a tremendous dinner for my dad, Uncle AJ, cousin Dave and Tony and me. We stayed way too long but we eventually made it to the hotel to get a good nights sleep before we headed up the French to Sandy Haven.

We’ve been making this trip for almost 30 years. Once again, we couldn’t wait to get up to Sandy Haven Camp on Lake Nipissing at the mouth of the French River. Todd and Dawn are always such great hosts and friends that they seem part of the family now. Anyhow, we made the trip up the French to camp:

med_gallery_12_517_100670.jpg

Well, we really tried to figure out the muskies. We didn’t even see one decent fish. I had one small follow and Tony had a blow up on a Doc but other than that, we couldn’t figure them out. The pike were everywhere as well. Nothing big but a lot of them. I did nail something big on a Double Cowgirl:

gallery_12_517_33118.jpg

FYI, it only went in on the bottom. Stupid me had it hanging off my lure box and as I stepped up on the back deck (too close to the box) the hook went in. We couldn’t get it out so we had to cut the hook, pop it through the top of the ankle and slide it out. I really thought I’d pass out but I hung in there. Tony enjoyed his opportunity to cause paid to his older brother and not risk return injury:

Fortunately, that water is full of pickeral and we were able to focus on them tasty swimmers. The pickeral bite was on. I mean on. We caught them every day and pretty much regardless of the weather. The weather was tough too. Rain one day. Hot the next. Overcast the next. It never stabilized. Good for us, the picks don’t read fishing magazines. Here’s a couple pictures of some of the fish. The big fish of the trip was a 7 pounder. She went back. Can’t say that for the eaters. I apologize for picture quality but I'm in a hurry.

gallery_12_517_127049.jpg

med_gallery_12_517_106087.jpg

med_gallery_12_517_11325.jpg

gallery_12_517_23812.jpg

gallery_12_517_43408.jpg

gallery_12_517_53423.jpg

gallery_12_517_47411.jpg

We even got Todd, owner of Sandy Haven, out with us and taught him how to fish:

gallery_12_517_26816.jpg

I’ve also included a picture of one of Tony’s bass and Cousin Dave’s pike.

gallery_12_517_33330.jpg

med_gallery_12_517_50447.jpg

It was a blast!

Thanks for that Marty! If you want a muskie you'll have to bring Dawson next time. Some nice fish in there for sure. Glad you had a good time.

ps. Ed's putting on some serious weight...skipping a meal from time to time won't hurt him y'know. You could tell him I said that.

It was good.. gulp... to have you guys for dinner.... tell Ed that next time ill buy better whiskey... my stuff mustn't have agreed with him... :P

Good to see ya getting your share of pickerel.. thats always good news for Nipissing tourism!

....Those is some damn fine "eyes" Marty, yep damn fine! Good to see y'all had a great trip. To bad bout the muskies and the hook on that Double Cowgirl, fortunately it can be replaced and you'll heal (big baby :whistling: ).

So you gonna make the Lakair weekend in September?

Guest Johnny Bass

Man....And I thought my feet were ugly. :lol: Looks like all the fish came out to play while the cat(Musky) were away! Looks like everyone caught fish and had a great time. Thanks for sharing.