Fisherman hooks and lands a drowning man

ccmtcanada

Fisherman hooks and lands a drowning man

HALLOWELL, Maine — An angler used his fishing pole to reel in a man who survived a jump from a bridge and was drowning in the Kennebec River.

Bob Greene, 42, of Hallowell, said he heard what he thought was a cormorant making noise in the distance at 4:30 a.m. Thursday as he was having coffee and reading his newspaper while waiting for sunrise. About 20 minutes passed before he realized there was a man bobbing down the river.

Greene says his first instinct was to jump into the 60-degree water, but a 911 dispatcher told him to throw something to the man. So he snagged the man's shirt with a fishing lure and reeled him in, using 25-pound line and a 4-inch-long lure with three small hooks on the end.

An experienced fisherman, Greene said he knew he had to be careful not to snap the line as he worked to bring in the man from 35 yards offshore."It was a struggle to get him out of the current so I could reel him in," Greene said.The man had parked his car on a Cushnoc Crossing bridge in Augusta, jumped 114 feet into the water, and floated about a mile downstream before passing by Greene.Greene did the right thing by calling the police first and not jumping in the water, Hallowell Police Chief Eric Nason said. "Everything just had to add up just right," he said.

For his part, Greene said he almost chose to fish in Gardiner on Thursday."For some reason, I was meant to be here," he said.

Source: http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/hourlyupdate/248867.php

Edited by ccmt

Shouldn't he have had to throw him back since he was SNAGGED instead of hooked INSIDE the mouth???

Seriously though, I hope the man was grateful for his rescue.

The way I read it the drowning man was obviously trying to commit suicide. You don't jump from 114 ft unless you are 17 years old and there are at least 4 girls present, or you are 17 years old, very drunk with 4 of your best friends present.

He will probably not be as greatful as he should be.

Can see the lawsuit now lol

Hi there,Im Mike, with Mike and hike.If you been trying to kill yerself and were saved by a no minding angler,you have a case to get back some cash.

You just call Mike and hike,we,ll get what you want. :whistling::stretcher: