Wireless carriers to add text charges

kickingfrog

Article from the Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...al_gam_mostview

Wireless carriers to add text charges

MATTHEW TREVISAN

Globe and Mail Update

July 8, 2008 at 4:05 PM EDT

Starting in August, cellphone users at Bell Mobility and Telus Mobility will be charged new fees to receive text messages, something they can currently do for free.

The new charge is for pay-per-use customers who don't subscribe to any monthly text bundles. It already cost pay-per-use customers from both companies 15 cents to send a text message, but until now the recipient did not pay to receive them.

“The growth in text messages has been nothing short of phenomenal,” wrote Telus spokeswoman Anne-Julie Gratton in an e-mail to The Globe and Mail, referring to the latest statistics from the Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association that pegs the number of text messages sent in Canada at more than 45.3 million per day.

“This volume places tremendous demands on our network and we can't afford to provide this service for free any more,” Ms. Gratton wrote.

Bell Mobility will begin charging 15 cents for each received text message starting Aug. 8. Telus will charge the same price starting Aug. 24.

“Remember that almost all major North American wireless carriers, including in Canada, have taken this pricing approach,” wrote Bell spokesman Jason Laszlo in an e-mail to The Globe. “In fact, most carriers in the U.S. now charge 20 cents.”

He said Bell informed subscribers of the new charge in June and recommended that customers who send and receive more than a few text messages should sign up for an unlimited text bundle.

“We are simply aligning ourselves with market realities,” Mr. Laszlo wrote.

Mr. Laszlo said that if a Bell customer receives any spam messages, he or she can contact customer care to have their account credited.

“If a client is experiencing an ongoing issue with spam, the client has the option of changing their phone number,” Mr. Laszlo wrote. “The $25 fee will be waived if a previous client was registered to the phone number and may have solicited spam service.”

Ms. Gratton from Telus said if customers receive a message that they shouldn't receive, they can call Telus to remove the charge from their bill.

The number of text messages sent in Canada has skyrocketed since it was first introduced in April 2002. In that month, there were 369,000 text messages sent, according to the Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association.

But the latest figures available – March 2008 – showed that there were 1.4 billion text messages sent per month in Canada, an average of about 45.3 million a day.

“It's about building your network so you actually have the capacity to offer all of those services to everybody who wants it,” association spokesman Marc Choma said.

As of now, Rogers will not charge customers for incoming text messages, spokeswoman Elizabeth Hamilton said.

“I would say it's a unique differentiator for Rogers,” she said, declining to speculate about the company's future plans.

“We're constantly updating them to serve our customers' needs and usage,” she said.

“It's about building your network so you actually have the capacity to offer all of those services to everybody who wants it,” association spokesman Marc Choma said

How about services and features I don't want/need. Anybody try to get a cell phone that is just a phone.

I have a camera, don't need a crap one. I have mutiple devices that all play music better than the cell phones. And I have a tv at home whare it belongs. I need a phone, not a toy.

Thank you, now off to bed.

oh god, wtg wireless companies.

If others havent noticed, our phone plans cost probably twice of what our neighbouring Americans cost. (well maybe im just exaggerating) but Canadian wireless plan prices have always been WAYYYYYYYY up high.

And the advice about changing numbers for taking out spam? what about the people that use their phones to get their business and a number change would lose them $$

if they can make plans a lot cheaper, then go ahead and put this incoming text charge on.

If others havent noticed, our phone plans cost probably twice of what our neighbouring Americans cost. (well maybe im just exaggerating) but Canadian wireless plan prices have always been WAYYYYYYYY up high.

That's why I actually have a US based cellphone for when i'm travelling. It has no roaming, no long distance in all 50 states for incoming and outgoing so it's basically like a landline when i'm in the US or close enough to get on an american cell site. The best part is roaming in canada is only 30c/min so that's the same as if i had a prepaid phone from a canadian carrier. we need more competition like they have. The cost is a little less than the typical canadian plan. It might sound stupid for an ontario resident to do this but with canadian carriers charging 95C/min for roaming + other fees + taxes, i don't have to use it much for it to pay for itself.

Greencoachdog is right. It is for sissies.

I do not know much about text messaging. This is what I know about text messaging but maybe I am missing something.

It is a message that you leave for someone because the person cannot answer your call.

Is this what it is? If it is, then can I suggest something else.

Why type out your message using a tiny key pad – it is lunacy. I would not be leaving any text message because I would say – “screw it”. Why not just talk and leave your message and leave the message using voice mail. It is a lot faster and easier. To me it makes a lot more sense.

For me, a phone is just a phone. Or, am I missing something.

carp-starter

Greencoachdog is right. It is for sissies.

I do not know much about text messaging. This is what I know about text messaging but maybe I am missing something.

It is a message that you leave for someone because the person cannot answer your call.

Is this what it is? If it is, then can I suggest something else.

Why type out your message using a tiny key pad – it is lunacy. I would not be leaving any text message because I would say – “screw it”. Why not just talk and leave your message and leave the message using voice mail. It is a lot faster and easier. To me it makes a lot more sense.

For me, a phone is just a phone. Or, am I missing something.

carp-starter

I don't use text much, my frustration is more to do with the lack of competition and these carriers squeezing more blood from my stones. I do use text messaging sometimes because it is cheaper than some long distance calls, figure that one out.

Some people don't have call answer on their cell phones, so texting is the only way to leave them a message.

I don't use text much, my frustration is more to do with the lack of competition and these carriers squeezing more blood from my stones. I do use text messaging sometimes because it is cheaper than some long distance calls, figure that one out.

Some people don't have call answer on their cell phones, so texting is the only way to leave them a message.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

... say it isn't true Rob! :wallbash:

Odd this topic just came up.

I just renewed my Cell plan with Rogers for ANOTHER 3 years. BUT....before I did, my plan, which I was going over in Minutes both Local and Long Distance and Text.

Well, I ended up talking to Customer Relations (not Customer Service) and I threatened to take my business elsewhere.

I was paying about $48/month for a pretty crappy plan.

I now pay $62 tax in, including all service fees, additional fees, emergency fees, personal fees, talking fees, hidden fees, and whatever other fee's there are (seemed like 50).

Here is the Bonus. When I threatened to leave, I got offered 1000 yes (one thousand) long distance minutes for $5/month. so for the next three years I have 1000 min/month LD, Unlimited Incoming, Unlimited Eve/Weekends from 6 PM, Unlimited Text (both in and out) voicemail and all that stuff.

The 1000 LD mins was a great Bonus though. Especially for $5

Apparently Rogers "has no plans at this time" to charge their customers for in coming text messages... Bell on the other hand, as well as Telus... claim that their trying to "recoup" infrastructure costs" as the number of text messages has far exceeded their current capabilities and expectations.

So, in a nut shell, they are asking their customers to pay for their poor planning skills! :wallbash:

HH

When I had rogers as my cell phone carrier, THEY would send me SPAM text messages. I'd check my phone and what do I see? "Check out rogers.com for the latest offers on internet phone". If they are still doing that then that's likely why they have no plans at this time.

To put the onus on the consumer to call to dispute spam is ridiculous. They costs just to run a cost center would be huge for that.

A modern convenience we all must have it seems. Watched the "sickness" first take my daughter, followed by my wife and most recently my son. So far I have resisted getting a cell phone. No real use for me, so why bother? If I needed one for my profession then I would have it. I figure I have about 4-5 circumstances a year where I really wished I had one. But I can't justify the cost to myself for those 4-5 times. Look up the word cheap in the dictionary...there is a smiling picture of ME. :thumbsup_anim:

As soon as my wife/daughter told me receiving text messages was "free"...I said that will not be around for long. First they get you hooked and then they reel you in!!!

Your best hope is that competition will keep prices reasonable, but it appears telus and Bell are already "in bed" together to ensure they continue to take as much out of our pockets as they can. The others will follow....it is just a matter of time.

If they say there is 1.4 billion text messages a month at 15 cents a message they could rake in 2.5 billion dollars from this in a year at that rate. Any rationalization about this other than more profit is crap doublespeak.

If others havent noticed, our phone plans cost probably twice of what our neighbouring Americans cost. (well maybe im just exaggerating)

Not exaggerating enough is more like it.

FYI -- Canada has the 2nd highest mobile rates in the world. #1 is Uganda.

I asked my son the other day what was wrong with carrying a quarter in his pocket and using a pay phone like I did growing up.

He looked at me like I had 2 heads :wacko:

Maybe because it costs 50 cents... :wallbash:

Ever think that if they don't answer the phone, maybe they have call display and they don't want to talk to whomever is calling. Texting costs too much, real simple, don't use it. What did people do 25 years ago, they weren't on the phone all day, they were actually WORKING instead of pizzing the day away. Kids weren't on the phone either, they were playing or doing homework.

I asked my son the other day what was wrong with carrying a quarter in his pocket and using a pay phone like I did growing up.

He looked at me like I had 2 heads :wacko:

Pay phones aren't as prevalent as they used to be, I guess because we all have cell phones. :dunno:

Ever think that if they don't answer the phone, maybe they have call display and they don't want to talk to whomever is calling. Texting costs too much, real simple, don't use it. What did people do 25 years ago, they weren't on the phone all day, they were actually WORKING instead of pizzing the day away. Kids weren't on the phone either, they were playing or doing homework.

No I haven't because I'm important. :thumbsup_anim:

People weren't sitting in front of computers "talking" about fishing, hockey, politics and the law either.

This isn't about what to use or not use, it is about a lack of real competition and/or choice for the consumers.

We got the family plan with free texting and free local calling between our phones. The time texting comes in handy is if we're long distances apart it's free to text, no outrageous long distance charges.

Pay phones aren't as prevalent as they used to be, I guess because we all have cell phones. :dunno:

Payphones now cost 50 cents :rolleyes: if you're using a payphone all the time you're probably better off with a cell phone financially!

The cell phone, the demise of the youth of today......or at least part of it. My Alexis has had hers removed from her collection of gadgets........and wont here the flip of a cell phone for a long time.

Im sure back when i was 12 or 13 the adults were saying..........."stupid Atari 2600, its the downfall of society"..........one day well probably look back on this and say, cell phones, remember those things..........what an inconvenient piece of equipment, as we will probably just be communicating thru telepathy after having a chip installed in our temples at birth. Thats when you know revelation is coming lol