Things you've found under water

Jaymerica

I was in the Grand River Bass derby this past weekend and observed about a dozen canoe's flip in the rapids most of them were rentals from the local outfitter. people reported loosing cell phones camera's cooler bags among other things. I decided to keep my eyes open when wading for any items that may have been lost by the end of the day we had found hundreds of golf balls a digital camera, fishing lures, a radio, flashlight and tons of beer bottles and cans. I used to dive for lures at the mouth of a local river, I could fill a tackle box on a good day. Does anyone snorkel these local rivers? If so what are some of the things found?

Usually snorkel around campsites in Algonquin. Typical catch are bottles, cans and old lures etc. Have also found broken paddles, tent pegs, assorted clothing, some pots and pans.

Tons of old stubby bottles. A couple of years ago I pulled up almost a case (24) stubbies. Hualed em out and returned them.

Some of the bottles though can be quite old.

Kind of depressing really.

Well....if anyone is diving on Sturgeon for stuff and you happen to find a 6'10 compre with a Curado 200DHSV please let me know LOL

It went swimming there a couple of weeks ago (long and painful story) and it never came back :)

But too keep the message on topic, I was fishing a creek many years ago and got a toilet seat......

Bill

Edited by bassboy

Two small boat anchors, assorted knives, fish hooks and lures, a few dive fins, a dive mask, assorted sun glasses, bathing suits(?), screwdriver, picnic cooler, cars, boats, two bodies, etc. The anchors were the toughest to bring back to the boat.

JF

Two small boat anchors, assorted knives, fish hooks and lures, a few dive fins, a dive mask, assorted sun glasses, bathing suits(?), screwdriver, picnic cooler, cars, boats, two bodies, etc. The anchors were the toughest to bring back to the boat.

JF

Do we want to know

I guess as long as you didnt put them down there...

Do we want to know

I guess as long as you didnt put them down there...

Not my fault, and they were quite fresh, which pleased me to no end. It really sux hanging out with a body on a small boat. A falling apart body would be icky.

JF

I'm a diver like JohnF and have found pretty much the same things he has except for the BODIES. I can add bicycles, snowmobiles, dive watch and yes lots of lures. Try to avoid diving/snorkeling where people are shore fishing - don't want to get caught yourself!! :w00t:

i've found lots of lures and old line with bobbers and a hook attached to logs, bicycles, sunglasses, beer bottles, tires, a gold diamond ring once, fishing rods, hats, anchor, and a computer once..

these were all from snorkeling in a local quarry.. that is local hotspot for swimming and fish..

Do a ton of snorkelling in Temagami and seen all kinds of stuff.

Lawnchairs, Cassette radio, towles, ...... Must fall off the houseboats

neatest find for me was a perfectly round white rock the size of a golf ball. I was in the Muskokas on a private lake and thought it was a golf ball and dove down about 15 ft to get it. Turns out it was a piece of white granite that was sitting in a large bowl shaped depression. I guess over a long time the wave action and water current rocked the white granite chunck and wore it down smooth and round.

Still have it sitting in my shop.

Picked up other item like pike pole, bottle and around the copper mine on Temagami came up with a 6ft core sample still intact.

"Two small boat anchors, assorted knives, fish hooks and lures, a few dive fins, a dive mask, assorted sun glasses, bathing suits(?), screwdriver, picnic cooler, cars, boats, two bodies, etc. The anchors were the toughest to bring back to the boat."

Did you happen to come across some one's Carp chum?

HH

I'm a diver like JohnF and have found pretty much the same things he has except for the BODIES. I can add bicycles, snowmobiles, dive watch and yes lots of lures. Try to avoid diving/snorkeling where people are shore fishing - don't want to get caught yourself!! :w00t:

You just reminded me. I found a Nitek-C computer once. Actually it was another guy who spotted it but he thought it was pooched because it was just flashing at him and he couldn't get it to do anything else. I took it, looked up the manual on the net, reset it and it's worked fine ever since. It had been laying in 75' of water for a few days. I guess the computer thought it's owner would be bent silly by now.

JF

cool thread. haven't done much diving but i do enjoy it. have only found lures and golf balls...each time i snorkel i'm terrified of seeing a body...i'd freak out.

How do you think I felt on body recoveries? I had my fingers crossed on one hand that we wouldn't find it, and on the other hand that we would. Caves were the worst if you were going in right after someone had disappeared, presumed dead.

JF

I dare someone to Snorkel along the Sky way Piers leading into lake Ontario where the old Pier was. I am betting you will gathher hundreds of lures. four of which are mine that friends lost to it before knowing what it was.

If anyone is diving on Sturgeon Lake and finds a seat base, please return it to me as well. About 1 km at 15 degrees north east direction from Big Cliffs dock. :blush::wallbash::wallbash:

Edited by hometownhandyman

If anyone is diving on Sturgeon Lake and finds a seat base, please return it to me as well. About 1 km at 15 degrees from Big Cliffs dock. :blush::wallbash::wallbash:

I'll keep an eye out for it :canadian:

I just hope I don't stick one of my musky baits into it......do you think 80lb PP would pull that up? :)

Sinker