Pigeon Lake - Revisited

Meely

Having had such an incredible first half of the week, me and Buckster decided to head back up to Pigeon Lake last weekend to see if the Musky-gods were still on our side. This time Buckster's younger sister asked if she could join us as she had never caught a Musky before.

We arrived at the lake Saturday morning at approximately 8 am and after settling in we decided to head out on the water. The weather was very nice with blue skies both days. Knowing how "finicky" the ski's could be we decided to take a long shot and try our luck using the same techniques we had used a few days before. We began to work an area of the top end of the lake near Big Island (one we had never really tried before) but figured we'd take a shot at. Cold Ice tea on hand, charts studied, lines set up... we begin trolling. We had agreed that Buckster's sister (Lisa) would bring in the first fish ...if any.

40 Minutes later.........BOOM.....a rod goes off and starts peeling drag. Buckster was quick on the rod-release and handed the rod to Lisa. She begins to fight. This fish took her all around the boat and she battled this thing like a veteran musky-hunter. This fish finally surfaces and we cant believe what we see !!!!!!!

A massive fish !! We got her unhooked and into the boat where we quickly measured her. A WHOPPER of a fish. 51 inches ! Now, I know of people who have fished for years and have not caught a musky let alone one over 50 inches and here we have a rookie reeling in her first Musky ever and its a fish of a lifetime, only problem was....she was too terrified to hold this thing. Buckster and myself tried to convince her to hold it while we snapped a pic but she wouldnt have anything to do with it......so...Buckster did the honours.

Here she is:

July508-1.jpg

Quickly revived her and happily watched her swim off.

We set up or lines again and continued to work the area.

Here is how we did for the remainder of the weekend.

Musky #2

July508-2.jpg

Sunday's fish.

Musky #3

July608-1.jpg

Musky #4

July608-2.jpg

As this one was a smaller fish Lisa decided to take the p"lunge" and hold her catch for a photo-op.

We decided to crown Lisa as the "Musky-Goddess".

So, in all, we had another great weekend. 4 fish in two days.

I have been up on Pigeon for 11 years now and have only caught one fish over 50 inches in all my efforts.

This week, we managed to boat 2. Who'da thunk !

Gotta love it when a plan comes together !!

Thanks for reading,

Meely

Edited by Meely

Mike,

This fish was not as thick as the first one....This fish was a lot thinner....

more "snakier". The first one had a set of shoulders on her !!

We thught we had seen you out there on the weekend but it ended up bein a blue boat. We've actually seen you a few times up at the north end......fishing around those little back bays. Next time, we'll say HELLO.

Meely

Edited by Meely

Congrats to all on this adventure fore sure....

WTG with the 2-50'rs of late too.

Got to tell ya this brought me back a little...

A few years back there was a post here that told of NO Kawartha lunge over or even approaching 50"

My oldest son's first trip out lunging..and it was on on Pigeon...

Netted the boat my FIRST 50" fish....and it had serious girth as well.

WTG Meely....and company.

That is some good musky fishing.

After 20 yrs + of fishing same area (north to east of Big Island) 47 + inches is my best up there.

Others talked of catching muskies above 50 inches, but now i believe they are there.

Two 50 inch fish in a week or so is incredible up there.

Great stuff,

ehg

Geeeeze..."bout time you posted...I've been waiting for your report ever since we met out by "Gordon's Rocks" on Sunday...

WTG Lisa (Musky-Goddess)... I hope the boys thanked you for driving the boat to all the "hot" spots... :thumbsup_anim:

That is some good musky fishing.

After 20 yrs + of fishing same area (north to east of Big Island) 47 + inches is my best up there.

Others talked of catching muskies above 50 inches, but now i believe they are there.

Two 50 inch fish in a week or so is incredible up there.

Great stuff,

ehg

I agree, great stuff, looks as though a variation in strategies is in the forecast for ehg. I will opt for more patience, as I tend to think a 45 min wait on musky can push the limits of my urge to have a fish landed, but the climate on Pigeon has changed, and what used to take 10 min, now takes 45. Awesome post!!

Guest Johnny Bass

Looks like you figured out the summer Musky. You should make the pictures a bit bigger so we can enjoy them more! That 51 incher is a beast! Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Johnny Bass

Thanks Gang.

I dropped by the "local old timers'" house and showed him the pics.

He just doesn't believe it.....lol.....

Some people are just set in their ways and are hard to convince......I guess.... :rolleyes:

Meely :canadian:

PS.....After a slight unexpected change in plans.......looks like I may have a chance to get away

this weekend and giv'er another shot !! I'll post any results.

TJ: We tried and tried to get her to hold it...but...no dice. She looks pretty confident in that one pic posted but I can assure you....as soon as Buckster snapped the pic it was "......"Get this thing away from me !! ".....lol...

Edited by Meely