Lake St. John report

Guest Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

Finally got out for bass opener. Since I went out with my female friend and had to foot the entire bill? I went somewhere close with a free launch. Lake St. John. I figured that it was windy and the lake is small and holds a lot of small fish to keep her busy.

We had a late start because she doesn't wake up early. But getting better. Get up there, had a big lunch at the resteraunt and got to the lake in the afternoon.

Took me a good 1/2 hour to set up a few rods for her and my rods.We start working a weedline at the launch with no luck. The wind was blowing really good. So we tried to get out of the wind.

Worked our way to a 13 foot flat near weeds. Started throwing out the tube. Was getting bites but no hook ups. Felt like little guys. Then I bring this little guy in.First and only pickerel of the day.

100_0565.jpg

Started to work the actual weedline. Started working it with a jig and pig, nothing, crankbaits, nothing, spinner baits, nothing. Started working it with a tube and started nailing small pikes. No pictures taken.

My fishing partner then gets a big hit on the spinner bait. She starts fighting it. It gets caught up in the weeds, and the fish gets off. This is all she had left of the spinner bait.....

100_0566.jpg

She then had another hit and lost it. Whatever it was it had weight.

I start working some shoals and I smash the first smallie. Its about 2-3lbs. So I'm playing it at the side of the boat, tiring it out. When she goes for the net. I usually dont net small fish but she wanted to. She put the net right in the water, the smallie is spooked, makes a power dive and the hook pops out!!! DANG!!

Then I get another 1 lber. Jumps and spits the hook!

I was telling Alex that I hardly lose fish. Only at the beginning of the season. Well? I lost more fish yesterday then I have lost all last year!

We were working a weed flat and I was jigging with the jig and pig. I raised a small pike. No cigar. Even tried a follow up bait. Then I raised a much larger fish. Probably a nice bass or big pike. I was too busy talking and noticed last second this fish was circling the lure. Tried everything he didn't come back. Then I finally get a hit and bring in a small pike. The fish was actualy not hooked, but had the 80lb PP in his mouth and was wrapped around his jawbones.

Now I finally got rid of the 6 foot BPS muskie rod with no bend. I replaced it with a shimano compre. But now I find the C3's gear ratio is too slow for jig and pigging. I should just use it for bucktails. I need more rods and reels.lol

We decide to go in the river to mud lake. We get to mud lake only to realize it was really weedy and shallow. We found some deeper water, through out some crank baits and spinner baits. Nothing. I told her I didn't like the area and that we had more luck at the main lake.We killed an hour getting in and out of the lake.

We seen 2 dead carp in the lake and in the very shallow river we seen 2 carps that looked like they were very sluggish. Seen one in mud lake that looked lively. Water temp was 78 in the river.

We went back to where we were getting all the hits, but the wind had changed and it kept blowing us into the weeds. The lake was way too weedy for her and she was stuck in the weeds most of the day......

So we head for cover again.

We start working this Island and I nail a decent smallie. After a good fight and over 5 minutes of her trying to net it? Here it is.

100_0569.jpg

She definitely has to work on her netting abilities.lol

Then I nail another smallie 2-3 lbs. Bring it to the boat and I lose it!!!!!Then I nail another one about 1 lb and it snaps my line! I must have had a nick in it. I use 6lb test for smallie's and never get snapped off.(I hope I didn't jusk jinx my self!)

Then I start working a shady shoreline. I was throwing out a fluke. I felt what I thought was a snag up on weeds. So didn't set the hook. It was a fish with some serious weight. Got off!!

Then I nail another one. This one feels like a 3-4 lb Largie. It starts bull dogging away from the boat. Try to make him turn his head, and the hook pops out!!!DANG!!!

I was using a 6 foot lighting rod and is pretty stiff, with a cheapo zebco crappy real that my dad left that feels like its falling apart when you reel. With 17 lb mono! To muscle fish out of the slop. I've noticed short rods are harder to fight fish. No flex.

I then hooked something I though was huge? And landed a 3lb pike.

Then I hooked another small pike and got bit off. I also got bit off a couple of times on the tubes.

Then I start throwing out a buzz bait. I cause a fish to swirl but he doesn't hit it. Then I get a hit and I lose it!! My hook up ratio on a buzzbait is like 98%. So nothing is going right this day...I give her the buzzbait to work and I change back to the fluke.

She gets a hit and looses it......

Then I get a hit and bring it in and its a HUGE crappie 14 inches and really fat!!!

100_0570.jpg

Try to see if any more were around but nothing. Then the mosquitos came out so we decided to leave.

Thats the end to another great day on the water.I thanked her for coming out and although she got skunked she said she had a great time. Thanked her for paying for lunch and coffees on the way back, I didn't have a great bass opener, and not the type of lake you would want to hit on bass opener but had fun. She is a great fishing partner. And nice to look at.

100_0571.jpg

Hope you enjoyed my report.

Edited by Johnny Bass

Another great report Johnny Bass. :thumbsup_anim:

That crappie is huge and the bass ain't bad either.

The Head River connects Lake St.John and Dalrymple together there is big crappie in both.(and perch)

Must be crappies and big perch in Head Lake as well.

But fishing almost takes a backseat when you have a fine woman in boat with you!

Great report,

ehg

Sounds like you tossed just about everything in your arsenal out there Johnny. Thats a nice smallie and that crappy is dang huge so no reason to complain and I don't see any problems with the fishing partner :)

Guest Johnny Bass
John

St.John is a great place to fish if you want to try out new stuff and catch fish.they bite anything there.. I love that lake,I just catch and release there.

TFS Bud.

Thanks guys!

Hey Brian. Ya I was a little disappointed this time. I caught fish but no quality fish, but that Crappie was a lot bigger than it looks!! :thumbsup_anim:

As far as eating fish from that lake?Not with that soap factory on the lake. So its pure catch and release.