15$ rabbit

muttfish

went to fortinos to puchase a rabbit, the thing was smaller than a little chicken but cost me 15 bucks, I've never tried rabbit but I've seen a whack recipes so I gave her a go. the end result was brutal, I floured the rabbit browned it on all sides pulled the rabbit out added some onions and carrots sauted that a little bit deglazed with some white wine added some chicken stock with some fresh herbs added the rabbit and braised it for two hours. totally tasteless and very rubbery, I'll make rabbit again but I'm not buying one, where I work there seems to be an abundance of wild rabbits so I figuse I'll start trapping them and practise my recipes if they are safe to eat. other than rabbies is there other things I should look for as far as safe eating? another thing is at work I have started a garden and am having some trouble with cucumber beetles, I'm trying to keep it organic with no real pesticides, just wondering if anybody has any real solutions to discouraging these bugs because the marigolds I planted to combat them is not working. just came back from pt burwell ppk, sites were great, beach was a little ???, no perch on the pier but along the beach on the park side there is a rock pier and people were catching jumbos right off the end of it.any info on the rabbits or cukes would appreciated.

Its our (Maltese) national dish .... called Fenkata ...

Here is a little recipe for you ...

Stuffat tal-Fenek - Rabbit Stew

A hearty rabbit stew to get you through a cold winter's night! Preparation time, 30 minutes; Cooking time, 3 hours. Serves 4 to 8.

Ingredients

1 rabbit, cut up in pieces

2 cups water

2 beef cubes

1/4 tsp Rosemary

1 large onion, chopped

5 medium carrots

5 medium potatoes

1 medium turnip (kohl rabi) Gidra

1/4 cup Tomatoe paste

60 mL water (1/4 cup)

1 clove garlic, crushed

Method:

In a large frying pan, lightly brown the rabbit pieces in cooking oil. Add the 2 cups of water with dissolved beef cubes, salt, pepper

and rosemary. Cover tightly and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, or until rabbit is getting tender.

Peel and chop vegetables. Remove rabbit from heat and pick out fine bones, if desired and transfer to a larger pot.

Add vegetables to rabbit pot. Mix the flour or gravy powder with the 60 mL water and the crushed garlic. Add to the stew stirring occasionally.

Simmer for another 40 minutes, until all vegies are soft and the stew slightly thickened.

Fenkata Use this stew as topping to dishes of boiled spaghetti

you most likely overcooked it. I don't know about eating rabbit that live in too close to city environments, personally, i would avoid them because you never know where they eat and what chemicals they're exposed to. The first time i saw a farm rabbit at a grocery store i didn't think it was rabbit because it was so white like chicken. Wild rabbit meat is much darker, almost liver colored compared to the stuff i saw on store shelves. Actually, almost all wild game is darker than grocery store meats. What i like is how small game taste different when taken in different seasons. The flavor varies considerably depending on their diet at the time, i think you'll enjoy getting the rabbit yourself if you decide to go that way. Tuleremia is about the only common thing to watch for. rabbit fever. winter is safer than summer. It's a quick search to find info on it.

what is "safe" to eat.all the crap at the grocery store is fortifed and doped up on steroids fortifed etc etc.ive only had rabbit once my friend shot one.he handed me some kibob skewrs told me to cut the rabbit in small chunks wrap them in bacon and put them on the skewrs with cherrie tomatoes green peppers mushrooms ongions then bbq.they were amazing,rabbit is very lean and the bacon kept it nice and tender now youve got me hungry thinking about it.

Marinade in soya sauce and add fresh garlic. Let marinade for 12 or so hours,put over hot BBQ. YUMMY.

You over cooked it.

Yup... thats the way....

I'm not an expert but I believe it's not a trappers licence you need but a small game licence to snare rabbits

things to remember about hunting--old saying don't hunt them if there is not an "R" in the month

deep fried just like fish is best

And maybe don't snare them in the spring when they're expecting babies---wanna know why?

YOU WOULD'NT WANT TO HURT AN INGROWN HARE WOULD YA?

GOTCHA

Bushart

what is "safe" to eat.all the crap at the grocery store is fortifed and doped up on steroids fortifed etc etc

One of the reasons I like wild kill. NATURAL. Well there is the odd tic,but hey.LOL

Yup... thats the way....

Hey TJ.Me brudder showed me that one. Hell we had three rabbitts cooked up,and I was still looking for more.

Edited by misfish

Its our (Maltese) national dish .... called Fenkata ...

Here is a little recipe for you ...

Stuffat tal-Fenek - Rabbit Stew

A hearty rabbit stew to get you through a cold winter's night! Preparation time, 30 minutes; Cooking time, 3 hours. Serves 4 to 8.

Ingredients

1 rabbit, cut up in pieces

2 cups water

2 beef cubes

1/4 tsp Rosemary

1 large onion, chopped

5 medium carrots

5 medium potatoes

1 medium turnip (kohl rabi) Gidra

1/4 cup Tomatoe paste

60 mL water (1/4 cup)

1 clove garlic, crushed

Method:

In a large frying pan, lightly brown the rabbit pieces in cooking oil. Add the 2 cups of water with dissolved beef cubes, salt, pepper

and rosemary. Cover tightly and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, or until rabbit is getting tender.

Peel and chop vegetables. Remove rabbit from heat and pick out fine bones, if desired and transfer to a larger pot.

Add vegetables to rabbit pot. Mix the flour or gravy powder with the 60 mL water and the crushed garlic. Add to the stew stirring occasionally.

Simmer for another 40 minutes, until all vegies are soft and the stew slightly thickened.

Fenkata Use this stew as topping to dishes of boiled spaghetti

I can vouch for this recipe as my wife is Maltese and there is nothing better than this recipe for cooking wabbit

thanks folk for the replies, man I love this forum, just wondering about my cuke problem, and just wondering is it possible to trap the little bunnies in a raccon trap, i've never snared anything in my life

thanks folk for the replies, man I love this forum, just wondering about my cuke problem, and just wondering is it possible to trap the little bunnies in a raccon trap, i've never snared anything in my life

I don't think you are allowed to do that. Those are live release traps. I could be wrong though :dunno:

I don't think you are allowed to do that. Those are live release traps. I could be wrong though :dunno:

Nope, your right. They're out of season, you can't snare them south of the french river, and trapping them in the city would be a big no-no. You risk getting someones pet, or a skunk etc in the trap.....and a hefty fine if you were ever caught.

Sinker

Legality of trapping rabbits aside, I'm surprised no one's mentioned hasenpfeffer.

With my dad being German this was something we ate fairly regularly as a kid, and I still make it now on occasion. Absolutely delicious.

There's plenty of recipes on the net if you do a search..

(You can substitute skinless chicken thighs for rabbit. It's cheaper and the consistency is pretty similar.)

Bought store-bought rabbit once (it was on for half price) and decided that next time I won't waste the money on something that tastes like bland chicken drumsticks.

Sugarpacket informs me that wild rabbits have a totally different, much nicer flavour.