Muskie opener tactics.

Jigger

I will be shore fishing at Lake Scugog this opening weekend. Going up there the past few weekends i have seen lots of little perch so i am going to try perch pattern Rapala crankbaits. I also have a orange bucktail and lot's of spinnerbaits. Will be sure to make a report if i catch a musky or two, wish me luck.

I'm just itching to throw the heavier stuff; don't care if I even catch anything, I'll probably start the day off with either a Believer, a Big Kicking Minnow or Magnum Spook. When I get tired off those I'll switch to a more realistic Vibrax Musky Buck or Slopmaster most likely. Can't wait, plan on fishing Dawn till Dusk! Psyched!!

Great info, Dax.... :thumbsup_anim:

I'll be doing the same thing this year as I did last year, except I expect some sleep on Friday night.

I went to a high school reunion on opening night & had a much better time than I thought I would & stayed WAY too late.

So, I went from the reunion, changed clothes & headed to the lake. We went 2/3 pounding the shallows with oversized spinnerbaits, TEP baits to be exact.

I'll do the same this year.

Oh yeah, my partner for opener this year is someone I met at that reunion, & Tuesday of opening week will be our first year together.

Kinda funny how Muskies & girls go together sometimes..... :clapping:

well I am going against the grain here and will be starting out in deeper water on drop offs and mid lake humps. Still fish out deep and if you can find any bait the musky should be with them. Jerkbaits and big rubbers ( surprise!) will be getting the first call on the water this year. I usually have 15-20 new baits to throw on opener but this winter I spent most my extra cash in Florida and only have 4 new baits to get wet...

Hit the water last weekend and the weed growth was aweful. Usually if you can find fresh green weeds on the opener you should be able to find some muskies... thats plan B for me.

Packed my mini box this year of 20 baits and can't wait to hit the water.

This will be my first musky opener ever where I will be fishing in a kayak! heading out both Saturday and Sunday...

Well,

Saturday, we are planning on hitting Simcoe, for half a day, for a final whitey assault. We headed out last Saturday and had another incredible day. Im still icing my wrist from all the hook-sets.

Then, the boat goes back on the trailer and up to Pigeon we go. Pigeon Lake is my home lake and I can hardly wait to get out and hunt an essox or two.

We had some pretty kewl action for last year's opener. We were out for approximately 4 hours and managed to raise 11 ski's. No biters but a whole heap of fun just the same. 9 of the 11 fish rasied were all out of shallow water. This year we are going to continue trying a technique mentioned in a Muskie Oddeysey a few years back.........focus on "chaos and turmoil"(basically anything different on the lake.....IE.....where fast water meets slower water etc). We began using this technique and had some fantastic results last year. Lure of casting choice chartreuse boo tail........deadly

We'll probably stick to the northern end of the lake......so...if you see a black lund with two burly "eye-talians" ( 1 in a Gilligan hat)........say HELLO !!

Meely

Edited by Meely

Have seen the musky charter guys on Kawarthas troll spinnerbaits on short lines, fast and near the top of the water,

on openers over last 20 years or so...Near what would be well defined weedlines later in the summer.

Usually they would zig zag around to pull the big spinnerbait near the surface and cover water.

Never tried this technique myself, maybe this year.

imgoing to be shallow near warmer water outflow creeks for starters. running woodies in brighter patterns. reaction strikes are the norm in cooler waters. this year the waters cooler and not mixed yet. on st clair its boards and smaller cranks. mmm this all could change in 1 hour if ya know muskies. dax has covered the ethical and safety issues. good thread gents.

Rangerguy, sounds like a good plan :)

Can someone fill me in on specific water temp ranges and what the muskies will be doing? I've searched quite a bit, but haven't found any hard info,

ie 50-58degrees - spawning, bring up your baits and go pickerel fishing :)

I hope the French is close to the 60 degree mark or over, if not I think it's going to be a very tough weekend.