Finally Finished the Boat

Doctrt

Looks like you put some time and sweat into her, nice job.

I am currently trying to rebuild my boat over but I procrastinated

and now I would rather be fishing than fixing. It is a slow process.

Do you mind me asking where you got all your hardware and stainless screws etc.

I can't seem to find one source for all the items needed.

Thanks

Stan

Boat_Pics_020__Small_.jpg

Boat_Pics_021__Small_.jpg

I have purchased 3/4 smooth one side regular ply to start and have cut all the pieces that I require to put the floor and covers etc back on.

I also purchased indoor/outdoor carpeting which I will glue onto the ply once I have Thompson water sealed all of it.

I am now looking to buy or build a new console and new seats and pedestals, so if anyone has anything they might be interested in selling let me know

Then I need to rewire the whole boat front to back and while I'm at it, I will be rewiring the trailer with new LED lights. Whewwwwww, I'm tired just typing what I have to do...

A friend gave me an older Minn Kota trolling motor which I will install on the bow which I will also install ply into.

If you have any advice or tips, please feel free to throw them out there, I am learning as I go.

Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Glen, did you use marine ply?

Guest Johnny Bass
You seem to know everything !!!

So why ask...........just tell us there great old wise one :rolleyes:

What? You don't fish from a yacht or a $60,000 dollar ranger? :rolleyes:

I agree with Clamp-it. I think all boats are tested for bouyancy(Sp?) in rough waters.

Weight re-distribution might effect how the boat handles in really rough waters. Other than that? Its a great looking boat and looks like it was proffessionally done. Enjoy!!

good job on the boat man, I have a few things I want to do to my 14 footer as well but am taking added weight into factor..I am going to build cusions for the bench seats that can come on and off depending on fishing needs and hoiw many in the boat..it's rated for 4 people...but the rating is based on like 150lb people...come on now who goes fishing with..or even knows 4 fishing buds that only add up to 600lbs or so :lol: not to mention that every little thing you add to the boat....bigger gas tank..battery for the accesories, electric motor and so on all does take away from the total load capacity of the boat.

I must say...you did an awesome job on the boat for sure..hope it treats you well this season :Gonefishing:

Edited by jwl

:clapping: Good job. Nicely done .Like the casting deck.Did the same to an old 16 crestliner many years back.Had a large live well and when comeing back in rough water myself I used to fill her a bit to keep the nose down for better control. You need it in Lake Huron.Best of luck in your new redone ride.

Boat Looks Great!!!

Stan, Brafaso for SS screws, Robert Bury for Marine Ply and Special Touch for marine vinyl... and for the alum, I used Maintence metals..

These are the least expensive places for the above materials I found when I did my boat.

G

PM if you would like more info.

Did you weld the frame to the boat?

Nope. All metal and wood is connected internally to the structure of the boat via the seats and the front tow eye. The one exception is a hole I drilled below the tow eye to secure the front frame section to it. Everything from there on is bolted together. I had made a concious effort to not drill through the boat at all costs. That's when leaks happen!!! Although the bolts are accessible via compartments should they become loose, they were all "lok tited".

Then I need to rewire the whole boat front to back and while I'm at it, I will be rewiring the trailer with new LED lights. Whewwwwww, I'm tired just typing what I have to do...

A friend gave me an older Minn Kota trolling motor which I will install on the bow which I will also install ply into.

If you have any advice or tips, please feel free to throw them out there, I am learning as I go.

One suggestion I can give you, Fishinfool, is that Jumper Cables (with the ends clipped off), make for very inexpensive, heavy guage (4 or 6 guage) wire that can run the length of your boat for your Bow Mount (about $30 for 20ft). Most bigger motors (mine is a 65 lb thruster) require fairly heavy wire as they can draw as high as 38 amps at a full stall, which would burn through anything lighter. When I searched for Marine Grade wire (4 or 6) your looking at close to $7 a foot for a junk and neg. If you like you can insulate it in a hose or piece of conduit. Just make sure you also fuse the line.

Tim when are you and tonka toy boy coming up ,for the opener or are ya hitting PAB or Sturgeon Bay first

We may be up this weekend actually. Tonka boys got an itch, and that Kawarthacillin isn't working!

Thats awesome! So what does a job like that cost? Great Job.

All things considered I probably only spent $500 to $600 for the floor and deck. I could have spent a great deal more had I used all marine grade plywood, but instead I used 5/8 in Ply, pressure treated and sealed, as well as wrapped in carpet and lathered with carpet glue. If it lasts me 5 years I'm ecstactic! The Trolling motor was a steal at $340 and the two batteries, another $200. After all is said and done, the whole boat has cost me about $2000 (I bought the boat and Johnson for $1000). I'm not including the cost of my time - that would be depressing! But what else are you gonna do when the rivers are frozen and you can't go ice fishing!

Here's what can happen ( I told you so) :

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20167

A good and funny read.

Maybe I should have mentioned the same thing happening to me b4.....and I am only 160lbs. On lake Simcoe and without much force the bottom of the chair ripped out fro the non-marine grade plywood. Luckily I did stay in the boat.

My immediate thoughts: if I built something similar I would use a large steel plate on the underside of the plywood that he seat could bolt into.

forrest