Sturgeon Lake Family Report

ccmtcanada

I had planned to take the Friday before the long weekend off to avoid the crazy commute out of the city after work. Originally, bly and I were to fish the TO Islands, but because the wind forecast was favourable, we were itching to get back out on the water. We picked Sturgeon Lake and decided to ask Big Cliff for some tips on fishing the lake. We brought our little one along and we had an amazing day. We didn't get into big Walleye, but our goal was to get Sydney her first Crappie and her first Walleye. The plan after was to meet up at Big Cliff and Sue's place to have some dinner.

We got up to the boat launch at around 1030am. It goes to show you how respected Big Cliff is up there....when we mentioned we were going to visit them after our day on the water, he gave us a discount on the launch and said we could have use of any available slip all day long if we wanted. I had a little trouble starting the motor...seems that the darn thing will start up and then stop before it has a chance to get warm. Then I pull and pull and pull and nothing happens until finally, for some reason it just fires right up like nothing is wrong. Anyhow, Bly took Syd to fish the marina while I worked on the motor. Within minutes, her float goes down and she lands the only crappie of the day. I went to get the camera, and by the time I got there, she had put her line back in and had another fish on....LOL. Here's the pic...

2fishon.jpg

The motor finally started up and we were off in search of crappie and walleye. The panfish in this lake are pretty darned BIG. They put the ones to shame from a little pond we sometimes fish. Here's a few from the day....including Bly's first ever Kawartha walleye....

03cliffsunfish.jpg

02sydrockbass.jpg

04sydfish.jpg

05carolepickeral.jpg

She got a little sleepy, so she decided to rest a little in there....

06sydnap.jpg

Again, back to the fishing, these little panfish actually pulled some drag on our little ones reel....I love this shot of her fighting a fish....

07sydfight.jpg

The result....

08sydmorefish.jpg

We decided to stay out there until about 430, and we headed back towards the marina. Just as we were going to dock the boat, we saw Sue waving from their place. At around 5, we arrived there and Big Cliff had just come home from work. They prepared a really nice meal for us, with Big Cliff manning the BBQ and Sue fixing up the rest of dinner. Sydney just LOVES it here, and was busy watching movies, pointing out insects that were on the walls, and wanting to take a bath in their great tub....LOL. After eating, Syd declared that that was the "Best dinner she ever had". She sure knows how to turn on the charm when she wants to....hehe.

Cliff and Sue (and their great dog Andy) really make you feel at home when you are there. They are super people...when we were there it felt more like we were visiting with family....if that makes any sense at all. Anyhow, Sydney finally got her wish and got in their big tub...she wanted a lifejacket on because it was so big.....LOL.

sydtub.jpg

After her bath, Big Cliff made it his mission to get Sydney into her first walleye. We got down to the dock at around 830 and he rigged up a rod for her to use with a minnow. There were lots of hits on it, but we were having trouble with the hooksets...but he didn't give up!

09bigclifffish.jpg

Finally, there's a light tap tap on the line and Bly sets the hook for her and hands the rod over to our little one. Finally...her first walleye....she was pretty excited. Take a look at the pic....looks like she's saying, with attitude, "There...you cant escape me....PUNK!"......LOL

10sydpickeral.jpg

After that, Sue mentioned ice cream and we were heading back up to their house. Sydney worked on that while we chatted for a few more minutes. It was coming up on 10pm....Sydney was still awake...and when I said it was time to leave, she said "NO!!" and grabbed on to Big Cliff's arm and hugged it and wouldn't let go. She has NEVER done that to anyone before...even her own grandparents!!! That just goes to show you how great they are to us. We've been invited back up there to spend an entire weekend later this summer and we are already excited for that. After some big hugs, we left to hit the road.

Thanks Cliff, Sue and Andy, you are all amazing people....we're looking forward to seeing you again!

Edited by ccmt

Sounds like a fun day.

Glad to see you guys got some fish too!!

Congrats to Syndey on her firsts!!

I'm usually docked there as well. Maybe we'll meet up there sometime!! Once musky season opens, my boat pretty much stays there until ice up.

Sinker

Hi, this is Sue. You know it's funny you should mention family.... as you guys were driving down the road we looked at each other and said "It's just like watching our kids leave!". We really enjoyed our visit (as did Andy, of course!) and we look forward to you coming back for a weekend where Sydney can have a bath every night (and during the day if she wants!). Give Sydney a big hug for us (and for Andy). Take care!

Love Sue

Excellent report and pics y'all!!! :thumbsup_anim: Quality time spent with family and friends!!! :clapping:

Those are some nice sized Redear Sunfish Sydney was catchin'! The Pickeral that bly is holding looks like it should be lit on one end (cigar). ;)

Congrats to Sydney for catching her first Crappie and Pickeral!!! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

What a great, feel good report, I love it. Cliff and Sue are awesome people and it looks like you were all in good company :thumbsup_anim:

Congrats to Sydney and Carole, first are always bests :clapping:

Great pics Cliff.

Does Carole have her MP3 player on so she doesn't have to listen to you curse your motor all day :lol:

Joey

Hi, this is Sue. You know it's funny you should mention family.... as you guys were driving down the road we looked at each other and said "It's just like watching our kids leave!". We really enjoyed our visit (as did Andy, of course!) and we look forward to you coming back for a weekend where Sydney can have a bath every night (and during the day if she wants!). Give Sydney a big hug for us (and for Andy). Take care!

Love Sue

Thanks again...we look forward to seeing you guys again!!! Hope Andy is feeling a bit better....he seemed to be having a hard time getting around yesterday.

Sounds like a fun day.

Glad to see you guys got some fish too!!

Congrats to Syndey on her firsts!!

I'm usually docked there as well. Maybe we'll meet up there sometime!! Once musky season opens, my boat pretty much stays there until ice up.

Sinker

Yeah...it was a great day! If you ever need someone to help you land those muskies just let me know!! I can be up there in just over an hour....LOL.

What a great, feel good report, I love it. Cliff and Sue are awesome people and it looks like you were all in good company :thumbsup_anim:

Congrats to Sydney and Carole, first are always bests :clapping:

Great pics Cliff.

Does Carole have her MP3 player on so she doesn't have to listen to you curse your motor all day :lol:

Joey

Thanks Joey...LOL about the cursing the motor....she enjoys listening to her tunes while fishing now that she has an iPod....hehe.

....Okay okay, I've met Big Cliff and Sue and Cliff and Bly, all great people. :thumbsup_anim:

But I'm gonna have to meet that little cutie they call Sydney. :blush:

Hehe...thanks...I was telling Big Cliff that some people think we eggagerate her interest in fishing, but once she was out of her bath, she asked when we were going to the dock to catch a walleye....LOL.

We're pretty fortunate...she is a pretty well behaved daughter...and doesn't mind being out in a boat for 6 or more hours!! That bodes well for us this summer....hehe.

Big Cliff is always a gracious host.

What a guy.

Haven't had the pleasure of meeting Sue yet,

but hopefully I'll have the opportunity soon.

Great to hear your fishing trip went well.

It's always nice when the little ones get into fish.

Kids have a blast with panfish and the odd walleye

doesn't hurt either.

Thanks for sharing you story & pics. :thumbsup_anim: