Santa & Trout. Report. (pics)

Moosebunk

Been awhile. In fact, haven't been out fishing since November 3rd. Could say I was a jonzing for a tightline and a tug tug.

Before Xmas one wednesday morning me and the girls loaded ourselves into the skidoo taxi (covered box sled pulled by a Bravo) and made our way to the Moosonee airport.....

xmas06-12.jpg

....From there we were in Toronto in about 4 hours and then in the Ottawa valley by supper.

Next two days were nuts with shopping. We had many to buy for, family, kids, friends, ourselves... it was done quick but done nonetheless.

Sparing you the details of what others were given I'll just show the few odds and ends I picked up for myself. Remember, I don't get out shopping too often.

I arrived at an Ottawa store and there was a fella goes by Plowjock waiting behind the counter. In his hands he was polishing up a litte ultralight reel. "Gidday Plowjock" I says, "What's ya got there?" With a gracious hello and how-do-ya-do he says, "Well Bunk, I remember how you were saying last time down you were looking for an ultralight reel, this here one is on sale for $68 bucks off." Taking a look I'm instantly entranced by the spectacle of rainbow colors. The aura of this foreign Quantum reel pretty much possessed me and I found myself saying to Plowjock, "OK, box it, but don't tell Bren when she comes in. And now, let me take a look at this Abu reel here too (pointing at another prize) cause it's what I came for." :w00t:

xmas06-15.jpg

Days went on, and even until after Xmas I continued to pick up odds and ends. Went over to Bowzog's in Stittsville and picked up a couple interesting things in his shop. Besides lures there I nabbed my first copy of Big Jim's ragazine, and after absorbing some of it's interesting content found the paper to be quite environmentally friendly and reusable.

xmas06-11.jpg

And here's those odds and ends I picked up for the pike and walleye fishing of 2007.

xmas06-13.jpg

xmas06-14.jpg

Could say I spoiled myself a little.

Weekend went on and by Xmas eve the Moosebunk's finally got down to the true meaning of it all. Next couple days were filled with an ear infection for one, Croup for the other, lethargy, gluttony and increased bowel stimulation for me, sleep deprivation for everyone, and a jolly fat uncle in a red suit. :santa: Holy God we loved pretty much every minute of it still.

xmas06-01.jpg

xmas06-10.jpg

By Boxing Day I couldn't find any Boxing on TV so around 10pm I met up with Ransome and we headed out of town to meet up with MuskieMagnet, RJ and Birdee and we then got our butts on the road for an overnight drive to get to our fishing destination.

Ransome and I had plans to fish with Salmon from his boat for the next 2 1/2 days. When we all met at the launch the morning of the 27th at 6:30am we were quick to find Salmon had a little boat trouble. Trying to get things resolved Salmon made the decision to go for help. Shorebound, Ransome and I sunk a little into the shoreline mud in despair. Seeing others all around fishing though, Ransome and I lifted ourselves up best we could a took a few casts. Not long after, Ransome gets himself a fish. :w00t:

niagara-07-Ian.jpg

A tough bow, a good looking bow, and a bow that's been going strong and will keep going strong despite the chunk out of his tail.

Took Salmon but a couple hours and he returned to us at the launch with the "thumbs up" and the "all systems go." Boarding the Legend we put the hammer down to the lake, drive right out into 8 footers with the odd 10 foot rogue wave, I turn green in like 5 minutes despite the Gravol, we can't keep the lines where we want them and so we hightail it back to the river, fish an hour or so then call it a day.

That night I keep everyone up with my roaring snoring.

Early December 28th we're on Lake O by 6:30am. The waves are tolerable 4-5 footers and as the day progresses the conditions turn to a beautiful calm. Water clarity though..... a bust. Things turned dirty overnight and fishing for many became tough.

For me, I had the right touch, the right Captain, and the right lure. :worthy: And so in due time it began.....

#1.

niagara-13-1.jpg

#2.

niagara-02-2.jpg

After 2 lakers I felt the tug of an unfamiliar fish. The fight was strange to me. Bulldoggish a wee bit like a laker, but wily like a brookie. I says to me Capn' Salmon and co-pilot rightwinger guy Ransome, "This ain't no laker."

And, it wasn't.

It was in fact a brown trout. The first brooooonie I's ever caught. Shheeeeesh, I was some plum happy with myself. :D Smiled so big you can see all the gaps in my teeth.

niagara-09-brown2.jpg

niagara-01-brown3.jpg

After the photoshoot Ransome threatened mutiny. The rest of the boat was going fishless and they both wisely attributed that to my special homemade lure. I only had one spare in the tacklebox and unfortunately for both of them it wasn't for borrow.

So with my lure I continued on....

niagara-06-3.jpg

niagara-08-3.jpg

After this fish I hooked into a monster near the end of a pass Capn Salmon and crew were finding decidedly productive. Three solid headshakes then a peel and snap, gone was the lure. No needing to fret I put the back up on, and just after, Salmon gets a fish. :thumbsup_anim:

laker1-1.jpg

Happier than a pig in poop that made him. Some relief for me as well for I missed an earlier fish of his when making a poor attempt with the net.

Nearing the end of the day with the sun beginning to settle I couldn't help but catch just one more for the road. A nice one too.

niagara-12-4.jpg

Back at the hotel forecasted winds out of the east 20km pretty much decided our fate for the last day of the trip. No more fishing. As luck would have it for me though, after having a wicked awesome day on the water, I'd have a wicked awesome night at the Poker table. Surprised a few friends I think by doing some winning.

All in all, fantastic holiday with friends, family and fishes all over the greater southern parts of Ontario. Can't way to trip down there again. :D

Next report will be on ice.

Great report and pics!!!... and hows about a peek at that extree special home made lure? ;)

Nice report Moose. Nothing like buying some new tackle and catching some fish. And this lure, you gotta show us a pic of it. :dunno: Nice job.

Nice meeting you too Sheriff. And Wayne :blush: we'll get out one of these days.

Could have just been my lucky day, could have been the lure, something worked for me on the water that one day though. Won't be showing off my creation... be keeping it for next time. B)