First time ever fishing channel cats

smbhunter

A buddy and I decided to head down to Dunnville for some cats. Both of us have caught a few in the past, but never spent a day targeting them. We had to improvise for gear, with my buddy taking a couple of his muskie rods and myself borrowing a shimano baitrunner reel for another buddy.

We arrived in Dunnville at about 1 pm and headed down to see Fishmaster. He gave us some great advice and tips on how to catch these cats, and we bought some of his catfish bait that we heard so much about. We got to our spot, and began to set up, and by about 2 pm we started fishing. My buddy was already rigged up, so while I was rigging up he put on a piece fishmasters cut bait and cast out. About a minute later, a strike was detected but with no taker. By the time I was ready to cast out, my buddy had 3 hits. Finally, after putting on a big ball of worms, I cast out. I tried the worms because I was also interested in catching other species like, drum, carp, and suckers, but none would hit on this day, just the catfish.

After 10 minutes of my worms soaking in the water I had a fish on, which would be my personal best at 14 lbs.

The worms were working great at the start of the day, but then slowed down. We both then tried the cut bait and were going fish for fish for the rest of the day, with both of us getting personal bests. Mine ended up being 14.5 lbs, and my buddy had his tip the scale at just over 19 lbs. In total, we landed about 25 catfish, four of which were over 15 lbs and about 8 that were under 10 lbs. We both had a great time trying something new and thanks again to Fishmaster for helping us out.

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg