Transom Savers..

Gerritt

Thinking about getting a Transom Saver.. My motor is not very large 40hp with power tilt and trim... I am thinking I should add a transom saver to reduce the pressure on the transom while trailering...

I should add I have a trailering tab on my motor....

So I guess I am asking... Do I need one if I have Power T/T

And where is the best place to pick one up??

Will it make a difference?

Thanks guys for your input..

G

Edited by Gerritt

Thinking about getting a Transom Saver.. My motor is not very large 40hp with power tilt and trim... I am thinking I should add a transom saver to reduce the pressure on the transom while trailering...

I should add I have a trailering tab on my motor....

So I guess I am asking... Do I need one if I have Power T/T

And where is the best place to pick one up??

Will it make a difference?

Thanks guys for your input..

G

Thanks for posting this G.........

I've no answer for you but will eventually have posted the same myself.

My motor is a 115 and I am a little concerened over the same situation.....It is tilted to max and has a locking tab too but just the same ...........Should I be concerened.

Thanks G for letting me :ASK-ON" your post Bud!

bNb

I have been using one for ears. I wouldnt leave home without it. I have the one with a spring as some of them will cause stress on the motor from all that bouncing from the trailer. I bought my latest one at Bass Pro. Other places have them such as Crappy Tire and even Princess Auto. THey are usually around 50-75 bucks.

The guy I bought my boat from knew a lot more than I do about motors and he put it on when selling it too me no questions asked. Mine is a 40 stroke.

I am glad I have it, that motor is heavy and I like my transom the way it is.

forrest

Gerritt,

I think you would be wasting your money. A 40HP has very little weight in the lower unit, which is all you should be concerned about. A transom saver will only assist in steadying the lower unit, not the whole motor. My motor weighs close to 550 lbs and I do have one because my lower unit probably weighs approx. 150 lbs. A 40 HP's lower unit would weigh much less, I would guess maybe 30 lbs. at best....your transom surely can handle that kind of weight. Buy more lures or a better rod and reel with the money.

I have a 40 horse Gerritt, on a 16 ft aluminum similar to yours, and I've never used one.

I trailer my boat with the engine tilted up all the way too........

My whole rig is a 96.......and its been trailered all over the place.....no issues.

Sinker

Put one on my 115 Yamaha 4 stroke and love it. Had to order a special one that mounted to a bracket I installed on the trailer cross member since I didn't have the rear mounted roller cross member on my trailer. If you don't use one with a smaller motor I think I would still wedge a piece of 2X4 in there to take the stress off the hydraulics.

I knew a guy who had a lund pro v 1775 with a 75 mariner----he trailered down lots of different terrain with the 2x4 between the motor and transom----he ended up having to repair his transom (Little damage)

I have a 50 4 stroker and I always use mine---what do you have to lose.

Pretty cheap insurance though.

TB

I agree with tinbanger on this one, they're a good investment even if you think you may not need one and it sure won't hurt anything to have it.

One big bump in the road and your motor takes a bounce, it could cost you far more than the $50 it'll cost you for the bar.

It's probably one of the cheapest pieces of equipment I have on my boat.

Defeniatly get one, i use one and won't trailer with out one, lots of stress on the power trim hydralics with the motor up and it bouncing around or flexing on the transom, they make them for a reason, all the weight of the motor is transfered to the trailer not the transom, what do you suppose would happen if you blow a tire, that trailer will bounce like crazy, i guess it all boils down to preference, but you can never be to safe and it takes seconds to put it on!

So how many folks have had a problem with their motors without a transom saver over the last 30 to 50 years(or how ever far back you go). I have had no less than 15 different boats and many more motors. I traveled many a back bumpy road over the years and I have never had a transom saver and never had a problem. I also have never heard anyone who did have a problem. So why do you really need one? I would like to hear how many people that actually had problems ? I can't name anyone , maybe someone in here knows many that have, lets hear about it and maybe that will answer the question of whether they are necessary or just another propaganda money maker.

Now let the debate begin Too transom saver or not too transom saver!

Whether it is nobler in the mind to suffer the bumps and potholes or to go on with a undamaged tramsom ..................

It is called a transom SAVER, I would think it is a smart thing to do. IMHO

Not to offend..........but,

To be on the side of caution I'll be picking one up G.............

I heard it from Lew and that is gospel to me pretty much!...

I can fully undertand how the strain can/could be on the trailer alone at the same time when you look at it.........

It appears the load and torque is solely on the transom.

For the $50-12-- whatever..is better then an accidental...

Fully insured but..do they cover Not Thinking let alone the inconveinience of a lost day on the water......

Going for it Bud.......

Thanks for the info fellas,

bNb

Edited by brickNblock

It not only reduces the load on the transom but stops the motor from bouncing to the side.It locks it in a straight posistion.My 50 tiller would always be laying on its side while trailering bouncing around with no way to lock it straight.Most boats with a steering wheel the motor will stay in one posistion.With a tiller its harder to lock it straight.The transom saver also reduces wear on the rubber engine mount bushings by locking the motor down.For $50.00 dollars or so why wouldnt you have one.

Just my 2 cents

So how many folks have had a problem with their motors without a transom saver over the last 30 to 50 years(or how ever far back you go). I have had no less than 15 different boats and many more motors. I traveled many a back bumpy road over the years and I have never had a transom saver and never had a problem. I also have never heard anyone who did have a problem. So why do you really need one? I would like to hear how many people that actually had problems ? I can't name anyone , maybe someone in here knows many that have, lets hear about it and maybe that will answer the question of whether they are necessary or just another propaganda money maker.

This is how I feel as well. I've had the same rig for almost 12 years.....no transom saver, and I trailer with the engine (40hp on 16ft aluminum) tilted up all the way, all the time. No issues at all........transom is just as solid now as it ever was.........never heard of any issues either.....

I could see it being wise if you had an older boat with a weak transom maybe.....? Or an oversized engine on a boat....

I have better things to spend my limited $ on, but hey, if your into spending the cash......have atter!

Sinker

Yamaha service actually frowns upon them as they change the load path and have caused excess pivot pin/bushing wear in their motors. Of course they only care about the motor and not the boat...

Also keep in mind that if you lock the lower unit in place against the trailer with the "transom saver" bar... when you do a panic stop and the boat moves forward on the trailer ...you're now adding load to the transom trying to bend it (depending on how your tilt unit is set up). Many trailers also flex around a lot so you may actually be forcing the motor to move as well in some cases, as you go thru road irregularities.

Like anything pros and cons to their useage. Also depends on how high your trailer sits and what you need to do with your motor. My old Glastron sat high enough on the trailer that I could just use the trailering latch on the motor... to work as it's designed to do. My Verado is the same deal and my kicker I can leave totally down while trailering. Hydraulic steering = no side to side movement either.

BnB... I would think that your Evinrude should have the exact same trailering latch my Johnson did.

Just because they sell the things doesn't mean everyone needs one to do the same function... take condoms for example....

Edited by irishfield

I have a Legend 14 footer. Called the Ultralite. Basically there low end tinny. My 15HP Merc cracked the angle supports on the transom my second season with the boat. Welded up some extra metal as a bracket on the support and bought a transom saver. Have had no issues since. But for any boat similar to mine I would recommend it.