Removing stickers

Wendel

Well, I'm trying to take the old registration numbers off the boat.

I'm out here with a pastic scraper and a hairdryer, and they aren't coming off easy.

Anyone have any tried tested and true methods? I don't want to damage the paint underneath or I would just get out my propane torch lol

Would a heat gun work better perhaps?

I've got goo gone, thought about scoring the stickers and putting that on, but like I said don't want to scratch the paint underneath...

On our old aluminum boat used a safty razor to lift an edge of the old sticker , could get most off in 4 or five pieces .Then 'goof off' to remove any small pieces and residue .

Didn't hurt the paint ..but it was a 25 yr old boat

worked good.

TB

Different kinds of glue on those stickers. Some come off clean with WD-40, others need alcohol. Should some glue remain on the paint, use either a mild dish detergent or babyoil with a plastic scrub pad to avoid damage to the paint finish.

Wendel,

Warm the vinyl and surface up with a hair dyer so it is warm - it is going to be difficult as you need to get the aluminum to stay warm. Use a soft plastic scraper to get under an edge and then slowly remove while heating with a hair dryer.

Once you have them all removed spray on Go-Gone and let it soak into the glue residue for 5 to 10 minutes. Then use a soft cloth to rub off the glue. Once complete rinse down with water so no go-gone is on the surface. If you have any oil remaining on the surface your new vinyl will fall off after a few weeks.

This technique has worked for me over the years as I add and remove 30 to 40 vinyl logos and text items from my truck, boat and motor every season.

Take your time and as I mentioned it is a difficult time of the year to do out-side as the metal surface will not want to stay warm.

Good Luck,

-sheldon

The most effective stuff is brake and parts cleaner. Available in auto supply stores. Takes most types of sticky stuff off. Cheap too. I was told one time its similar to dry cleaning solution.

Edited by Bernie

Well... I have an answer...

The best way to remove the stickers is to tell your girlfriend exactly what you need to do, and then come home 3 hours later to find she had done it!

She said she used a heat gun, a plastic scraper, and then goo gone.

Now I just have to buy her dinner and we are even lol

steam is the least destructive way i've found to remove pesky stickers from chrome bumpers, refrigerators, etc. i use a shark steamer or something similar and give it a couple of blasts, if its a small sticker i'd use a steam iron. this will get the plastic/vinyl part of the sticker then i finish of the remaining gunk with either gigaloo or wd40.