Tragic News in my family

Ron

As some of you may know, a good friend of mine has been diagnosed with ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. He has been diagnosed with this tragic disease going on for 7 yrs now. It is a very slow death sentence, something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. This once was a man who enjoyed playing hockey, baseball and how I met him, fishing. I have watched his life slowly being robbed from him. It will be 2 years now since the last time he has been able to hold a fishing rod. I have taken Denis out a couple of times last year but all he can do is just enjoy the boat ride and for a short time at that. It saddened me to see this injustice being done to a great human being.

Well, this life taking disease has hit home even closer now. My brother in law Bob Spry has been diagnosed with ALS in late November. Bob has been one of our family members for most of my life. He and my sister have 2 great girls, one graduated Nursing in 2007 and the younger daughter is finishing her BA. We like all close families, receiving news like this effects us all very deeply. From a personal stand point, I think this has effected myself the most. Having to see a close friend go through various stages and then knowing what Bob will be going through. The sad part is, Bob is progressing rapidly. What my friend Denis has taken 3 yrs to show signs of, it has taken my brother in law only months.

This is where I am asking for your help. Both of my nieces have set up a web site through ALS to help raise funds for the walk. They have set a goal of raising $500.00. With your help, we can achieve their goal.

Here are the links to their website.

http://www.als.ca/events/mysite.aspx?fid=1722

http://www.als.ca/events/mysite.aspx?fid=1713

My good friend Denis Wamsley

waumerwalk_resize.jpg

Waumerrainbow_resize.jpg

This is an excerpt from our local paper.

Fourteen children from five different local families will unite on April 27 with one common goal: to fight to find a cure for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, the disease that is slowly robbing each of them of a loved one.

Ranging in age from six to 37, Charae and Nicole Wamsley, Jenn and Cameron McNaughton, Katrina and Kari Spry, Cameron Stinchcomb, Adam Bath, Lori McCulloch, and Katelyn, Brandon, Craig, Tyler and Lisa Brooks all have a parent with ALS.

They will be joined by relatives, friends and strangers in the seventh annual Waumer Walk for ALS on April 27 and will be walking for their parents - Dennis (Waumer) Wamsley (diagnosed in 2001), Gerry McNaughton (July 2007), Heather Stinchcomb (1998), Paul Brooks (December 2007), and Bob Spry (November 2007).

The fundraiser is named for Mr. Wamsley. He has said since the event's inception that his only wish is for people to come out, have a good time and learn more about the disease.

Pro wakeboarder Mike Maynard from Hastings Marine will be on hand for this year's family-oriented event, Gilmer's Home Hardware in Port Hope is giving away a free barbecue, and silent auction items include a signed jersey from NHL player Shane O'Brien.

Proceeds from the Waumer Walk will go toward ALS research and awareness. In the last six years, through the generous support local merchants, the walk has raised over $300,000.

Registration for the April 27 Waumer Walk is at 10 a.m.; the walk starts at 11 a.m.

Edited by Ron

Hi Ron, Doubleheader here from Warren PA. Just wanted to express my sincere sympathy. This terrible disease took my mother-in law 5 years back. She was a wonderful, wonderful person. My girls do the ALS walk each year so my contribution will be to support their walk but I wish you and for that matter all the folks those touched by the illness of these two men all strength and courage in the world. Take care and know that others care for you.

Sad news indeed Ron. ALS is very dear to my heart. I have, as you have, watched family members be taken ever so slowly by this terrible disease. The feeling of helplessness is enormous. I hope that I can help in some small way.

J...

Very sad news. I don't know how to do it but could we do an auction or something to help out with everything donated going to the fund? I have a nice print I would be willing to donate and could probably come up with a few more items.

Hi ron... I know this disease from a very close person in my life as well..

It was my late motherinlaw. (Lola)

Lola and Lolo lived with my wife and ou children until her last 11 days. She then went in to palliative care after her esophogus had collapsed.

Lola only last 17 months from the time of diagnosis to the morning she died, good Friday 7 years ago.

One of the greatest lesson i ever learned in my life came from helping her make amends( to set things right) to those she wished she could have treated differently in her life.

I am truly blessed to have had a small part in this part of her life.

Lola was a very traditional Filipina and was the life of the house and of her community.

She was involved in a Clinical study with Dr.Strong's team at the University of Western Ontario.

We lived the last year of her life with a "do not recessitate" notice on the inside of both doors of our home. This really put things in perspective of the finallity of her condition.

Her last 3 months were not pleasant to say the least, but Lola never complained. She just wanted to have her granddaughter( my youngest) with her at all times. My daughter was a real trooper for a 3 year old.

As I write this to you Ron, please know that YOU ARE NOT ALONE in feeling the powerlessness to help a friend to overcome this disease.

Also know that taking care of the "caregivers" was one of the FIRST things we were told to do by Dr Strong and his team.

So, if i can make a suggestion.... KEEP ON FISHING .... brings your loved ones with ALS with you to a dock and just put the pole in their lap...

We used to bring Lola out to the gardens she helped form for all the seasons changes and just sat with her there.

No words were needed... she let us know with her smiles and nods that she was happy and glad that we were with her right then and right there.

So, if you can,, take them fishing and and watch their eyes..And KNOW that in the grand scheme of things.. you are makin ga HUGE difference in their lives, Just for Today.

God Bless

Splashhopper

Thanks guys and gals,

You have no idea the emotions that I am receiving from reading all the posts! Good thing there isn't a live video feed.

I've got a few PM's to answer. I promise to get back to them shortly.

Wow!

The donations have been over whelming! I really want to thank all of you for brightening my nieces last few days!

They are just amazed on what a couple of forums can do!

My one niece Kari asked me to forward this:

I would like to thank everyone for their support in fighting ALS. With your support and help we will find a cure. It means the world to me to fight this disease that is not only taking away my Dad but also my best friend and hero. Words will never tell you how grateful I am. Thank you again and your generosity will never be forgotten.

Kari Spry

Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all. – Dale Carnegie

I personally would like to thank you all too!