Hello everyone

Hey guys, I'm new to the board and this is my first post. Apparently I signed up in December (which I don't remember doing) but was planning on joining today anyways. I'm from the Niagara region, but for the last month have made Barrie my home, so I'm really looking forward to finding some spots in and around the city. I've fished the Niagara region from shore quite solidly for the past 5 years and have found some very productive spots for many different species. I hope to have the same success in my new area, and am already doing some legwork to find some spots for the pike opener! I missed out on the entire 2007 fishing season as I was in Australia for teachers college, so I'm chomping on the bit to get the season going. Did a bit of ice fishing since I got back but nothing to write home about...plus it took me awhile to get acclimitzed to the winter again!

The main species that I target are pike, bass, perch, and crappie...with the first two being my major focus. I look forward to being involved in this forum, and if anyone has any questions about fishing the Niagara region, or fishing in Australia, or even going there, please feel free to message me on here and I'd be happy to help.

Here's a few pics just to introduce myself

These few are from Oz

A black bream on the Herbert River near Townsville. They're not usually this dark, similar to a smallmouth I'd say

100_0986.jpg

Don't remember the full name, but it's an Estuary Cod

IMG_6507.jpg

Met this guy along the river

IMG_6312.jpg

Some beach fishing

IMG_6236.jpg

Now to some Ontario stuff....

My first (and only) musky

IMG_0011-1.jpg

A smallie released on Buckhorn

IMG_4485.jpg

A couple little trout

100_0200.jpg

100_0196.jpg

Lake Erie walleye

000_0596.jpg

A nice (and tasty) Buckhorn walleye

02.jpg

Couple nice largies from Niagara

000_0537.jpg

000_0502.jpg

And finally, a pike (I very rarely keep fish but she was very badly hooked)

Pike.jpg

Thanks for viewing guys.

Edited by PickerelHunter

Welcome aboard PH. Unusual fish from down under ... .not sure I'd want to run into one of those crocs along the river though. I like to do some bass and pike fishin' myself, with a couple musky side trips. Great intro and looking forward to your future reports.

Great intro, welcome to the board. I can't help you much with fishing in the Barrie area but if you want to head North to the French River area I know some nice little out of the way lakes that have lots of pike and can be fished from shore or a canoe although you can find everything you want in some part of Simco.

WOW... nice pictures right off the hop.... you're going to fit in here well my friend.. I hope you are able to hook up with some of our members in the Barrie area that would not mind showing you around..

Welcome aboard!

G

Welcome to OFC, looking forward to your posts... From what I just read you have travelled a little and seen a lot... what an experience it must have been... Great Introduction,

cheers

Jen

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I look forward to sharing my reports and reading those from others. Should be a great open water season.

I never realized how high volume this site is. Takes a long time to go over the posts made within 24 hours!!

Since many of you seem to like the Aussie pics, here's a couple more

This is a Mongrove Jack

IMG_6509.jpg

The teacher that took me out fishing a few times called this thing a Ramorey (sp?)

100_0970.jpg

And this is what surf fishing is all about (that's not me down there, but I love the pic)

IMG_4453.jpg

Did you eat any of the fish that you caught in Oz? Just wondering if the "bass" shaped fish taste similar to our bass? You mentioned surf fishing, were they all out of salt water?

Yeah I did eat the black bream (bass shaped one) and it was delicious. I've never eaten a smallie or largie so can't compare to the bass family, but it was quite mild like a crappie in flavour, but a little bit tougher (not tough at all, just not as melt in your mouth).

100_0996.jpg

100_0998.jpg

As for the surf fishing, yes it was all done out of salt water. The picture in my previous post was down in the Melbourne area, but anywhere I went this seemed like a popular technique for sure.