Right or Left

Reef Runner

Cranky Questions  

163 members have voted

1. 1. What hand do you perform daily tasks with?

• Left
    • Right
    • Omnidexterous
  2. 2. What side of the reel is the crank located on your SPINNING combo?

• Left
    • Right
  3. 3. What side of the reeel is the crank loctaed on your BAITCASTING combo?

• Left
    • Right

Right hand crank for spinning or baitcasting.I cast left handed with the spinning rod and right handed with the baitcaster.Some married guys here should switch hands every so often.Feels just like you got a girlfriend!

Joe

All I know, is when that 40lb plus Salmon turns to the boat.

I want to have my right cranking, just try to keep up.

Some species of fish are faster than others, however a 40lb salmon won't necessarily swim faster than a 20lb salmon. It will "pull" harder and for that I prefer to have my stronger arm holding the rod. Different strokes. No matter how you do it, it sure is fun trying to catch-up though.

I'm right handed, throw with my right hand, cast with my right hand, reel left, catch left. and because I'm a goalie, shoot left, unless I'm not in net, then I shoot right! All messed up!

As for Omnidexterous, Ive never heard of that before, and cant find a definition for it!!

I'm right handed, throw with my right hand, cast with my right hand, reel left, catch left. and because I'm a goalie, shoot left, unless I'm not in net, then I shoot right! All messed up!

As for Omnidexterous, Ive never heard of that before, and cant find a definition for it!!

Your avatar is casting with his left hand/arm??? ;)

I'm left handed and my first fishing experience was trolling for Salmon using a level wind with right hand retrieve. Early on I used a spinning reel with left hand retrieve. I would hold the rod with my left, cast then switch to hands to hold the rod and reel in the fish. Then I discovered the crank could be moved to the right side easily :blahblah1:

Been fishing comfortably ever since AND discovered that nobody want to use your stuff with the crank on the "wrong" side!! :clapping:

I'm right handed and cast with my right and reel with my left. I can reel with either hand but can only cast well with my right. I don't like the possibility of missing a fish that hits my bait or lure as soon as it hits the water because I was changing hands to reel. I'm not saying everyone should do this, you should do what you're most comfortable with!

Am right handed, cast with right, always reel with left. After listening to good ol' Roland Martin, I only buy reels that have the handle on the left. Roland says basically if you throw a spinnerbait & then switch hands....what is the spinnerbait doin' while you are switchin' hands....sinkin' FAST. He said that only time this is GOOD, is if this what you are tryng to do. Otherwise the spinnerbait should be in motion back to you BEFORE it hits the water.

I'm not saying he is the only authority but it sure works for me.....I usually get hooked up on a spinnerbait in the first 5 feet.

If you like it & it works for you....then you are OK.

I sure wish they made ALL reels with a lefty version.

FT

Im a righty, but always felt like I had more control holding the rod with the right, and reeling left. I find it very odd that people change hands from biatcasters to spinning, makes no sense!

i gotta agree , tried it with a friends reel ,right-hand retrieve felt aukward.

most days i bring more than 2 rods along switching back and forth ,left retrieve

then back to right , would be a pain in the ,,,,"wrist." just my opinion.

At the dawn of time, when dinosaurs ruled the early, and I was a boy.

There were no spinning reels and virtually all bait casters were right handed.

Bait casters at that time were direct drive, so the crank handle spun backwards on each cast.

To keep this helicopter from fouling on your person or your cloths, the handle was turned upward during the cast.

This also allowed for maximum flex in the wrist...see tennis 101...

Okay, this meant that a right handed caster would cast with their strong arm, and then pass the rod to their weaker hand while they reeled with their right. In an age were pitching and flipping have become common, many right handed Pros choose to use a left handed reel to make those short casts.

Note that these are short casts...You will also see that for distance they cast right and reel right!

When spinning was introduced, we were all advised to cast right and reel left.

This made sense since the reel hung below the rod and didn't spin during the cast, so we didn't have to worry about fouling the reel handle.

The fact that the most popular baitcast reels are sold in both left and right only proves that they are the most popular...

The easiest reels to buy used on e-bay or elsewhere, are left handers...

Because right hand fishermen who thought they wanted left hand reels are selling them so they can buy right hand reels!!!

Having said this, you are free to buy whatever you want.

Because right hand fishermen who thought they wanted left hand reels are selling them so they can buy right hand reels!!!

best comment yet...

I'm in the same boat so to say. I'm looking at getting a baitcaster but not sure to go left or right. I'm a lefty, all my spinning reels are left, shoot right in hockey and golf, bat right, catch and throw both hands (prefer to throw right though).

Does any store have a proper testing area so you can go in and try both sides before you buy? I ask as I was playing with my kids spinncaster the other day out back and for flipping; casting with the left was easy and bang on target. I didn't even notice I was reeling with my right. But to try casting a proper rod and reel from both sides before you buy would be great! It would save some good coin when you are spending a few hundred $$ a reel.

I cast with my right, switch hands while its in the air, and I'm reeling before it hits the water. No sinking spinner baits for me.

Like I said, you get used to it. I do lose a bit of time when I reel in, then go to cast quick.....I have to change hands........but its pretty quick.......you don't even notice it.

Icefishing, I jig with my right.......get a hit......set with my right........switch hands.....and reel with my right.....the odd time if I'm wearing mitts, I'll mess up getting the line tight when my mitt hits the handle, but not too often......I'm used to it, and ready for it to happen.

Its all what your used to.

Sinker

My Calcutta is a 401....cast w/right and reel left.

My Abu6500 C3 I cast right then switch (unnoticably) and crank right.

I think it because of the placement of the thumb bar......

Also have found that I have lost quick fish with the Abu possibly from changing hands but I think more because I find the casting lever awkward after spending so much time with the calcutta.

I mainly use the Abu for trolling now due to this.

All my spinning gear is left hand retrieve.

Great discussion :clapping:

The third option in question 1 should say ambidexterous. Thanks Dawg, been saying it wrong for all these years....lol, now where's my dunce cap?

Anyway, bought my new Abu 6501 C3 last night, left hand retrieve (hence the 01), and just can't wait to use it.

reefrunner