Dude, I'm Getting a Cardiff

Rich

After weighing my options over my next musky reel I decided to spend the extra couple bucks and go for a Shimano Cardiff. All I read were good reviews from other fishermen, but they were mostly bass guys. I see a lot of musky guys using them so I figured it's a safe bet. Anyone else here use them? Would like to hear if I made a good investment for this season. :thumbsup_anim:

That's what warranties are for!

For the dough, it's not bad, what about an Abu?? Did you look at them?? A nice 6500C3 is about the same money if I'm not mistaken, do your homework and it depends on how much you plan on using it.

My next muskie reel will be the Daiwa Luna or the St Croix which is the same thing just re-badged, I saw it at the fishing show and reelly (ha ha) liked it but have to save a few pennies before I drop $300 on a reel.

Hon picked up a Cardiff a few years back when I got a Calcutta. His reel is doign better then mine right now (although I used mine WAY more, and in saltwater)

Despite being plastic inside, its a solid reel and outcasts my Calcutta, plus it has a fast retireve.

Rich i got one a few months ago but i have not used it yet. I got the 401 cause its left hand. I like the thumb bar better then the abu's but it is plastic. The first reel cabela's shipped had a broken thumb bar.

I am going to use 65lb braid on it to cast lures 2oz and less for muskie. I am not planning on trolling with it.

I put some line on it just to test the reel. The drag dosn't have very fine adjustments but it is ok for muskie.

It is smooth when you turn the handle. The drag is very smooth also.

If you don't need a left hand reel there are lots of other options. But for left hand this is the one.

Is the drag power rating going to make much difference? I notice that the Cardiff has a drag power rating of 10 lbs, where as other popular musky reels like the C3, C4 & Record have 22 lbs, 17lbs, & 17-22 lbs.

I'm looking into a new musky casting reel myself & have been thinking about getting the Abu Garcia Record. I'm going to do the BPS reel trade-in for $25 off plus a $15 rebate. Shimano isn't participating in the reel trade-in in the US.

Edited by Zib

I did alot of reserch last month looking for a musky reel between $100-$350 and decided on the Abu C3 65001 It seemed the best for the price at $125 and all the hard core musky guys i have talked to say its a work horse. Maina only has right handed reels or I would also consider them.

Edited by mistaredone

The reel exploded?! Wish I oculd have seen that!

On a side note, I got in teh habit if using my thumb alot rather then relying on the drag. Those pesky tarpon destroyed the drag on my Calcutta. You want you drag to last longer, losen it up, especially when you have a fish near the boat.

I've got a C3 and really like it but I notice that the C4 will be on sale at Bass Pro in a few days. It's pretty seriously reduced with about 50 bucks off plus a 15 dollar mail in rebate plus the 10-15 dollar coupon you get if you do the reel trade in thing. I'm guessing after tax might work out to around 80ish dollars for the 6601 reel. High speed reel (relatively, 6.3-1) with line recovery of 30 inches a turn. Tempted to grab one myself. Not sure if they are as well suited to musky fishing as the C3 though........Somebody else know?