Muskie Lure Storage

Rich

I've tinkered with many different ways of storing musky lures since tackle boxes don't exist large enough to carry these baits properly. I've stuffed them in boxes which results in hook tangles, hung them on buckets, more tangles and baits fell out, drilled holes in the top of the bucket which helped a bit, but the baits were still so close together they hung up all the time. Very frustrating. Well it looks like I finally have a solution this year.

DSC01101.jpg

A milk crate and some coat hangers. Plenty of room for the baits, less tangle and I even categorized them into sections. Of course by the end of this year I will probably need 2 more milk crates for all the other muskie junk I will buy. lol But it works.

Yup, 20 feet of downspout fit snug and will last a lifetime and even drain and dry your baits perfectly. The coat-hangers are a good idea too, you basically got yourself a free set-up.

gallery_322_261_40990.jpg

This one has 25 pieces. I think theres two standard sizes of crates but either way you can see it's a good cheap storage.

For spinnerbaits you can just cut slots and use 2 side by side holes.

Edited by GbayGiant

Here are some nice DIY plug storeage systems . I didn't male these I found them on the surf fishing site I go to. frist one is a bit complicated but still pretty cool .

Empty

Tacklebox001.jpg

Loaded up

Tacklebox002.jpg

And the next one is actually my favorite

PlugStorageForTransporting006.jpg

I have more detailed pics on the last ones construction just pm me and I'll send them off to you .

Edited by ALEX

Another cheap method is to stick them in an old duffle bag with some downspout

Cnv0316-1.jpg

or in your livewell if you don't keep any fish

Cnv0435-1.jpg

or hang them from your console

Cnv1607-1.jpg

or the bow of your boat

Cnv2065-1.jpg

or build a big box

Cnv1845-1.jpg

Cnv1846-1.jpg

Lotsa cheap ways to store them :Gonefishing:

my bro made up a storage system for muskie lures. same milk crate, but he took a 4-5 inch diameter pvc pipe and cut several pieces to the height of the crate and created a sort of 'honeycomb' like thing, and he used adhesive to glue them together. so you can always take out the pvc pieces and clean out the bottom of the crate. oh and he put a piece of screen mesh on the bottom so nothing falls through. here's a pic

155_1__1_.JPG

One thing you guys may want to consider is having some type of a lid for your boxes. The UV rays from the sun will eat away at the finish / colour of your lures - a lot quicker than you may think. Particularly with bootails. I've a few that have faded because of that.

btw, I use a simple recycling bin for the larger lures and double thick plano trays for the smaller stuff.