Looking for line recommendations

bbog

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a good all around line that I can use while leisurely trolling in my canoe. The primary lake that I troll hold small to average Pike, medium to large Smallmouth and the odd Largemouth (and is located in the Parry Sound area). I also slip out to another area lake for a shot at Lake Trout (using my portable downriggers).

The reason I'm looking for recommendations is because in a fit of boredom yesterday I set-up a test environment (as suggested by Irishfield) and tested all the lines I could get my hands on. I had good results with most of my 4 and 6lb lines (except for two mentioned in another post) but TERRIBLE results for my 8lb inventory.

The results were as follows (rated/breaking point):

Rapala Finese 8/5

Mustad THOR 8/6

Trilene XT 8/7

Lines that produced better than rated results included Trilene Premium, Trilene Sensation and Excalibur SilverThread - unfortunately I didn't have these in 8lb versions. Should these be the lines to get or do you have other experiences to share (good and bad).

Is it obvious I need to get out fishing? :Gonefishing:

Thanks,

Barnie

Some guys like the braids then attach a fluoro leader to get that invisible touch to it. I've always used Trilene and it does the job, but if a big pike comes knocking say bye bye to your lure unless you have a strong leader.......

Hey barnie..if you want a good quality mono,try to get one thats a co-polymere ,its stronger than regular mono,and yet still suble,and it casts great ,as well as hols up pretty well for abraision, the excaliber silver thread has a great co-polymere thats a very thin strong great line,you can go to the flouro,but its up to you,i always use co-polymere line and all the pros i talk to agree,most of the top companies make a c0-polymere line,so the choice is up to you,but i just wanted to let you know about the differences,as not all mono is created the same....try the silverthread ive used it many times and am very happy with it im sure other members will have their lines that they like too you will have lots of ideas good-luck cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

I strongly suggest getting braid. If you haven't tried it your missing out. It's not the best for every technique but 90% of the time it is, it's all I personally use for everything with a 1-2' leader of fluorocarbon. Since you like 8lbs by the looks of it, try a 15lbs braid (just thick enough to tie a good knot), it has a 4-6lbs mono diameter, 10 times as sensitive as mono and you won't loose a big fish and increase hook ups. I also fish the Parry Sound area. Another good bonus of the green braid is that sometimes you don't even feel a light bite or a fish running away with your bait but with this line you can see it move unlike a clear mono, that's why I don't even watch my rod tip I watch the line. Since the first day I switched to braid theres been no looking back, it makes a huge difference. (This should be a commercial, lol) Stick to the mono on the rigger rods.

Spiderwire or PowerPro are my favorite brands, usually moss green color works great.

PowerPro, Spiderwire reps ? feel free to shoot me some free line, give me a PM. :D

Edited by GbayGiant

I use Silver thread and have been since it came out circa 198?. As a copolymer it has little stretch and I have landed several fish that I honestly was expecting to hear a *PING!!!* instead. I wear sunglasses to see it above water since it is hard to see while tearing/dropping jigs for walleye otherwise. It's harder to find and doesn't have all the hoopla and fanfare as some other brands, but it has always performed well. Long as I can find it it's all I plan to use.

I started using P-Line Evolution last spring, its a co-poloymer line. Very strong, casts well, and is quite abit more sensitive than mono or other standard co-poly. I also like using Trilene Sensation. Other than those 2 lines, I pretty much use braid with a flouro leader.

I like most spool many reels in a year---the ones that get mono are filled with 6lb Excalibur by Super Silver Thread.

Great abrasion resistant and strong as heck.

I've caught Walleyes over 12--smallies over 5--lakers over 10 and gators in the 20 range on that same line. (Assuming the pike don't bite you off)

Thanks to everyone for your replies - looks like co-polymer is the clear leader (no pun intended). I certainly plan to see you Mark at the Sportsman show for the Gamma demo (another co-polymer).

BTW, I am experimenting with 15lb braid on a light rod and have been pleased so far. Tie a short flouro leader using a uni-uni knot.

Cheers...

Re Fireline ice Crystal line... while searching unsuccessfully at BPS last winter for 4lb silver thread the salesguy talked me into trying the Crystal. Ice fished and second fish I had on... maybe a whitee... and the line broke with not much bend in the rod or drag set. I think it rubbed on the side of the ice hole and like I've experienced/seen others experience years ago, that bit of chafing is enough to seperate a braid line completely.

I tore the crap off and installed 4lb ST and haven't had any troubles since. I think the Crystal is real crap.

I'm guessing you had bad xt. I have bought line at canadian tire on a couple of occasions, and its lousy right off the rack. guess it sits warehoused for a long time. I landed a lot of fish I believe would have otherwise been lost with a lesser line, on 6lb xt. I don't even go with the 8, as I have even put the odd 40 inch musky in the boat hooked while pickeral fishing with the 6lb, long as they don't have the lure deep. the 8 is unbelievable strong, and i spool 12 xt on 2 baitcasters for pike/bass fishing. used it forever, and it flat works. Like the xl also, good stuff, not quite as stiff.

I have been using 12 lb Stren "Sensor" for the past 5 years. I love the low-stretch quality and the hook setting ability of the line when fishing for pike. I have had very few breakoffs and have brought in 2 50+ inch muskies using it. I used Trilene XL prior to the Stren. Last year I had difficulty finding the Sensor and believe that it may have been discontinued.

...another vote for Silver Thread Excalibur...

I've used it for several years on all my rods in various sizes. Very strong for a mono and I find that it untangles better than many other lines, works well in the winter as well.