No fish in Lake Temagami ?

BRODIE

let see you got one reply warning you about bug, I assume he doesn't have an answer for your question but told you what he knew about the bugs

and one guy who posted about a running joke....sorry it meant nothing to you

your post was up for one day..sorry we are not fast enough for you

maybe fish ontario website. will suit you better.....good luck and I guess good bye

Patience Lunate. Sometimes a little introduction of yourself helps too. Good bunch of folks here. Like Roy says a fella here on board (I won't mention your name Wayne) has a little trouble catching them there. So it's just a little bit of fun (we like a little fun here). So welcome aboard! Someone will give you a little advice but it wont be me about Temagami. I'm a Nipissing fisherman.

Hope you get better responses from other board

If you bother to check back here, hope you find this info helpful

Springtime is "needle in the haystack" time on Temagami and if you're looking for a big trpohy come back in July. Fish are easier to locate (not easier to catch) in the deeper holes and reefs.

I've been vacationing&working serveral weeks a year on the lake for last 25 years and will give you and honest run down.

A couple of my springtime spots on the lake are Ferugson Bay, Mouth of Shiningwood bay, north and east shore obabika bay, South Arm in front of cross lake entrance. All these areas will have boat traffic in the spring so be there at first light. Evening fishing never really worked for me for lakers. Better time spent walleye fishing.

I suggest hitting the resort owner up as well as each year its a little different the way waters warm up and where the bait fish gather up. That's part of what you're paying them for.

What you're looking for are extended 30 - 40ft flats adjacent to deeper water. Sands best but not the only spot. Look for clouds of bait and work that area. Long lining is best and up to middle of June fish can be caught in the top 25 ft of water. A 1 oz snap weight, small gang troll and silver blue flutter spoon or shallow shad rap works good. Run a 3-4ft lead between gang troll and bait. trolling leads should be well back of boat +150 ft. Spoons, minnow baits and even jigs (tubes, twisters) all work

Avergae fish in springtime (and most anytime else in the year) is about 2lbs with decent shot every day of a 5-10lb fish. Those picture on the trophy page are the one in a million fish. Not trying to burst you're bubble just being realistic. After all that time on temagami My biggest laker is a modest 12 lbs but I do have a couple of stories about the one that got away. Temagami is famous for those.

Good luck!

I'll say thanks Fang!!...I'm actually headin up there May 24 - 31 for our 3rd annual fishing trip with the lads!! The past 2 years were spent up in the Iron Bridge area but the lads didn't want to drive that far this year...None of us have ever fished Temagami before so I'll keep your info in mind!!...

Thanks again,

Steve

Mind if I print that Paul? LOL

Not much I can add to what Fang already posted, other than your patience is a little questionable Lunate. :dunno:

We had great success last year with small to moderate size fish...flat lining late May to early June. After that the riggers continued to creep lower and lower 'till late August when we were catching mid lake humps (and fish) with our balls down at 95 to 110 feet.

Here's a typical eater from the lake, that I put my sister on..

julyl.jpg

Here's our best 2 fish for the season. One was eaten as it was DOA and my daughters went off strong to spawn another day. You can legally do what you want, but please only keep the little ones to eat... if at all possible. They come up quicker, from boat drag, and forget to burp many times we find anyhow, blowing their bladder. The bigger ones generally stay pretty lively and release well...except of course when their gills get snagged by a hook.

augr.jpg

augt.jpg

Oh and I just love the Stewardships "Live" release contest ! Notice the 56 lber on a dock...with a 5/8" rope through it's yap. Gaye just promotes the wrong stuff some days!! :angry:

TMH... drop in when you come up ! Wayne

Oh and I forgot the most important picture... mmmmmm BBQ Lake Trout

julyn.jpg

Edited by irishfield

"I guess I'll try the fish ontario website."

You already did try the fish ontario website, actually you went there first on Jan.14, right "kmccoll2"?

Looks like he did and got one reply....then came here and tried. I think there are more informed fishing tactics and locations here, but then again, I've never fished that lake.

TMH... drop in when you come up ! Wayne

I'll do that Wayne.... you should also drop by at the lodge we're stayin at for a couple of ice cold "pops" :whistling: if you're out and about in the boat..Seeing how there's no fish, you must get tired of just touring around the lake burnin gas..I'll send ya a pm as the trip gets closer...

Thanks,

Steve

Sorry everybody & thanks for the info. Just feeling a little frustrated and want this years fishing trip to be better than last years. 4 days of rain, 4 days of boat problems & a kid with a broken arm at home.

Wow! a little insult got alot of responses. You guy's are alright.

P.S I called the MNR and they confirmed yes there are no fish in Temagami. So maybe Nippissing!

I've been watching this board pretty closely for a few years now, and to be perfectly honost with you. I've seen but a handfull of favorable warm weather trips to Temagami, and those are by people that fish it often and have been fishing it for years.

Sure there's a few fish in Waynes post, but it took him all last summer to catch them, and last year was his best year yet... and he's been fishing that lake for years! :whistling:

On the bright side of it all, there is some beautiful scenery up there... we've seen the pics!

Now there's this thing about Nippissing I need to tell you...

Hey Wayne....I got so caught up on this post about no fish Temagami Lake and open water fishin, that I forgot to tell ya that me and the boys will be up there next Friday for the weekend targeting Whitefish and hopefully some eyes through the ice.....(it's our annual hard water get outa town and have some fun weekend!!)

We should be on the lake Friday by noon I hope..

Edited by TroutnMuskieHunter

Like Roy says a fella here on board (I won't mention your name Wayne) has a little trouble catching them there. So it's just a little bit of fun (we like a little fun here).

Hey Bernie....the "No Fish in Temagami" isn't me... If you look in the Dictionary it shows a picture of Tonyb and Aaron S ! LOL B)

Edited by irishfield