Skating

Marc Thorpe

How many folks here still skate or play hockey?

Started skating this year again,least once a week with my son,pretty nice after years of not doing it.Gotta admit,my groin hurts when I think I am 20 again :lol:

I think a few more weeks we'es be doing pretty good at it again,might even play hockey

Cant wait for good cold and get ice fishing,I am itchin reading some of the past reports

I still play the game a couple of times a week. Mostly just for fun in a couple of beer leagues, but 4 times a year I do tournaments and those are the days I feel my age. Sometimes up to 3 games a day and the body is not used to that.

I think the biggest bit of advice I have for older guys playing the game is to get into a good bit of stretching before the game. Might save alot of pain afterwards.

My hockey playing days are over...my back just cant handle the abuse anymore, but I just started skating again last year with my youngest daughter. Went to Play it Again Sports and got a few pairs of used skates and taught my little one how to skate on the same pond my dad took me to when I was her age. Now we try to get her out once a week and she's learning quickly. Last week she asked if girls play hockey (she watches hockey with me on TV)....so maybe in a year or two I'll get her into a league. Here's a pic from that same pond I learned to skate on....

skate1.jpg

Welcome to the world of 40 Marc.Luckily I go skating with my kids in the winter.I do go to the rink once in awhile and play some hockey with the young ones its then I realize I am am either too old or just severily out of shape.

Toughest thing about skating these days is bending down to tie my skates cause my fat gut is in the way.

I will be skating with the kids today my 2 girls have new skates to try out.

Looking forward to Ile Perrot ice fishin if the safe ice returns.

By now I am sure Marc Olivier is taller than me. :canadian:

I played a lot of hockey up until the time I joined the Navy, then got away from it and never put skates on again for about another 10 years.

A bunch of us from work then decided it'd be good to start renting some ice time at a local indoor rink for some hockey and we did that every Wednesday for the next couple years. It was alot of fun and really felt good to get back into the game.

Probably 20-25 years now since I've skated though.

Fishing is alot easier on the body :D

I started playing again about 5 years ago after almost 25 years ... its just a sunday night old-farts league ... but it took a very short time to remember why I loved the game.

Boy, theres a lot of difference though being 46 vs 16 :)

I still skate with the kids but it's the hockey part I miss very much. I'm 43 and pretty much played some kind of hockey up until 2 years ago. I had 2 discs go in my neck and was told absolutely no more hockey.

Was thinking of going and getting my referee certificate but don't think I'd be much good with the parents these days.

I have three boys and for Christmas bought us all ice skates. None of my boys have skated much and neither have I for years and years. I didn't realize how much fun it can be to fall down with your kids. LOL Hopefully by the end of the ice season we will all have improved greatly.

Cheers,

Jen

I used to love to skate and play hockey as a kid but when we moved here to Virginia in 1970 ice skating was not popular here.I just got back into roller blading in the last few months and have some street hockey equipment.Its not the same as on ice but it is a great workout.

Joe

Hung up the blades two years ago as a result of an eye injury. Had taken up coaching when along came a surprise chance to play at the ACC - not with the Maple Leafs :). I'll be making my third skate in two years tonight to play with my 24 year old son and his buddies. If it goes as expected it will become a regular thing again.

Wish me well!

the doctor says its good for you.... been playing since i was 6 years old...i play at least 3 times a week....tuesday night, 50 years old and over in a 12 team league(old fart league to camillj)lol...just got home from playing in my fourth tourney this year (it was in st thomas..i wonder if it was the same tourney as STEVE PAUL??....have 4 more tourneys to play before april 01....started refereeing this year aswell..i guess it was time to give something back to the game that i have enjoyed all my life...sure the body hurts a little on mondays but it is fun....lucky i retired 3 years ago...enjoy it..

Skated from the age of 4 and never played compitive hockey til I was 12. Played 7 years after that mixed from AA -AAA TO JRB one year JR-C and one year JR A . Then it was pick up and a 2 year stint with a SR A team in etobicoke. Moved to Barrie, played in a 30 and under league. Played some pick up beer drink,n hockey. Lots of adult tourneys.

All of a sudden the young lads started to play,coached a few years with them,then stepped back to let others coach and never touched the skates again. Been probly 10 years since I tied the blades on. Been pondering the idea of getting back into it but I need to get in condition.

Theres a rink here with a wednesday adult shinny .

Cool,seems few folks skate.Skated and played hockey till my 20's

Got back into it this year but did skate some 5 years ago,feels real good

Lew,speaking with my cousin over the holidays who is a fire fighter like his Dad here in MTL plays every week in a get together leaugue somewhat like you mentioned,was thinking maybe by end of season I will loosened up and back into it to play by next fall

ccmt, cool pic,ya kids get us into things.The pond pics are a thing of beauty.Nothing like skating outside on a home made rink.Remember skating myself on the st lawrence river with my dad and Ice Boating when I was kid

Roy,ya Emerald shiner in the Top Corner

2 Minutes for Hooking !

Misfish you played some serious hockey too,I played very competitive when I was younger also but its funny how some wiggles show up after years :) but they soon go away after a few times

Ya get that feeling in your legs again

I thought of bringning it up,winter is kinna boring (because I do office work at this time of the year) and hibernating like Yogi stiffens things up

Ice fishing is ok but not its not like fishing during the summer season.

I see some sled,quad but many other things to do,skating was thing I enjoyed

Lots of outside rinks here but we need some cold to get em in use again,so inside delas are the thing next few weeks

Joe,roller blade hockey looks fun.I suspect the glide is not the same.Actually there was, not sure if there is a proffessional league of roller blade hockey stil around.The past owner of the Mtl Road Runners speaks of his moments about it while fishing with me.Always intruiged by it but wheels on my shoes scare me,but then again like GCD says,"filet Knives under Boots "