Boathouse Project...

tonyb

You know you are addicted to fishing when the criteria for purchasing a home is that it must have room to store a boat.

Well this past summer my amazing wife and I purchased a house that had room to build a garage (aka Boathouse ;)) She is amazing because she is always understanding and generous especially when it comes to my fishing forays, I love you babe!

Here is the stages and progress up until now, won't be long until it is completed. The next step after the boathouse is complete is ordering the boat...sometime this spring! :Gonefishing:

Making some room...good-bye old shed!

img0002mediumkq0.jpg

img0011mediumjh0.jpg

Perparing for the foundation of the boathouse...

img0013mediumsj8.jpg

Forms in place and concrete poured...note the addition of conduit into the concrete to be used to bring electricity for lights, door opener, and heat.

img0002mediumek9.jpg

Some framing...

img0015mediumkq3.jpg

Some roofing, windows and man-door...

img0018mediumqp1.jpg

It's all coming along very nicely, I can't begin to tell you how excited I am. :thumbsup_anim:

More updates...

Insulated garage door w/opener, siding & soffit added as well as eavestroughs.

img0004mediumzy7.jpg

img0005mediumzv6.jpg

Tony

Edited by tonyb

Looking good Tony ! But you forgot to make room for the beer fridge....

Also surprised your municipality lets you build an "out building" so close to the property line. We need a variance for less than 15 feet..and never get less than 5.

Edited by irishfield

Well done tony I built my garage and instead of drywall I hung osb board (flakeboard)on the walls the price was only a little more but I can hang anything anywere I want and no holes punched in the drywall by accident. Tip : paint it all white inside it will make it alot brighter with the lights you hang.

Art

Also surprised your municipality lets you build an "out building" so close to the property line. We need a variance for less than 15 feet..and never get less than 5.

Yeah it is surprising, many people have mentioned that they had larger variances from property lines for non-attached structures.

Here in this region it is only 3' required. We actually went 3'6" since we didn't have an up to date survey and the city granted the building permit no problem. There are no easements on the property and the 1 set of wires going over the garage may need to get moved ( Waiting to hear back from Cogeco to move it)

Good tips on the light coloured interior, not sure about all that metal work though...you offering your services Wayne? ;)

And to think we initially were going to not have windows...glad we changed our mind on that...

Tony, I'm very jealous and we haven't seen the boat yet!

Think about overhead rod storage...

I'm planning to make a rack above my door. A wood frame suspended at the front (rod tip end) and a pully at the rear (rod butt end). Lower it down by the pully, grab your rods and send it back up again. This should keep 20+ rods out of the way that my wife doesn't know about!

-Brian

I believe the top of the windshield is 87" from the ground when it is on the trailer...just going to squeak under. My only remaining concern is if the motor can remain trimmed up and on the transom saver. Hopefully I don't have to remove the transom saver and trim the motor down everytime before backing it into the garage.

You know you are addicted to fishing when the criteria for purchasing a home is that it must have room to store a boat.

LOL, thats what I tell my wife when she tells me she wants a bigger house.. I say fine I get a bigger boat make sure the house you want can hold the bigger boat.

Then she asks me where I am getting the money for the bigger boat, and I ask her where she is getting the money for "her" bigger house :wallbash:

Great Job, inside storage is so much better,

Very Nice Tony!

Is this being built from a set of ready made plans, or is it something you did up yourself?

It looks like the work (framing) is being done by yourself?

If so, would you mind sharing a price per foot for a project like this? I am interested in something similar.

thanks

I built a 12 X 24 and did most of the work myself, The siding cost me $2000.00 installed but that was a high quality to match the house. The rest of it cost about $5000.00. There are a few things I would do different, Mine has a 4" slope from front to back to allow for dranage (I have a marine railroad so my boat gets winched right from the lake into the boat house so everything is wet). In the future I would make the slope 6", you don't notice the slope at all.

The walls are 8' high, if I was to build another one, I would make the walls 10' high and the door 9'. As it is right now, my door is only 8' high and I have to remove my stern light when bringing in the boat in. It's not a big deal unless you forget and you are not watching! then a big stern light becomes somewhat shorter. hasen't happened yet but it probably will one of these days LOL.

I would use OSB on the walls, the plans I had called for black tentest on the walls, big mistake! Use OSB! I built my own roof trusses, forget it, buy them prebuilt for anything 12' span or over, you'll save yourself a lot of time and trouble and some money to boot.

I have a "low slope" roof (16" higher at the peak), I would stay with that, there is little if any snow build up on it, the wind tends to keep it clean but you should have some slope. I might go to 18" if I was to do it again.

Very Nice Tony!

Is this being built from a set of ready made plans, or is it something you did up yourself?

It looks like the work (framing) is being done by yourself?

If so, would you mind sharing a price per foot for a project like this? I am interested in something similar.

thanks

Nope not a set oof ready made plans but you can get those for standard garage sizes (eg. single car or double car) from http://www.rona.ca

This is a custom size in the sense that is isn't a single or double car garage but in-between.

Materials alone will run you about $9-10,000 for 450 square feet. That's using pre-fab trusses and an insulated garage door w/opener.

Something like this always adds value to your property too

Tony

Nice work Tony. :thumbsup_anim: . I second the overhead rod storage idea. Consider Skylites, sounds silly but when I built my garage 3 years ago I put 2 in I got from Home Depot, they were about $300 each...At the time I questioned the idea, but after they were in I realized how nice it is to have some natural light!

rodrack.JPG