Best wishes needed

bigfish1965

I haven't slept in two days and I am a mess.

It started yesterday when my dog Jack came up lame after being outside rough-housing with my other dog Kelev. He was yelping fairly badly and after four hours he would not get off the couch.

Finally I couldn't take it anymore and called the emergency vet to say i was coming and to have a stretcher ready. I picked up all 85 pounds of Shepherd and carried him to the van.

When I arrived at the hospital, the vets were ready and we secured him to a stretched and he was muzzled for their safety. The look of betrayal he gave me at that point was pretty devestating.

They hooked him up to morphine to try and get xrays done but we still uncooperative. He had to be fully sedated. The xrays showed no break but the knee had no stability at all. The cruciate ligaments were both torn.

After the xrays we discussed options and the vet said we needed to get him surgery ASAP. I had to decide then to pony up $3,000 (which I don't have cause I am in the midst of a divorce) or have Jack put down.

No option..go into more debt...I don't care its only money. But my dog deserves the best I can give him.

I was lucky enough to get him into a vet in Toronto that specializes in this type of injury. He wanted to do the surgery right away but since his staff is off for Xmas and since the swelling is still too bad, we scheduled it for 7 am Thursday morning.

So I'm keeping hm comfortable with some meds and helping him learn to hop instead of trying to walk on the injured leg..

Jack is a sensitive creature in spite of his size and appearance...doesn't tolerate pain well, so he isn't really happy today.

I have to try and sleep, but I can't. I'm laying on the floor off and on and trying to make him go out to go pee.

So please send your best wishes to Jack if you think of it!

Looks like there will be sale on web sites soon too.

jack.jpg

Hi Rick !

We Had a Dog that did the same thing, with his right rear knee. Had the Op done and he was as right as right rain,albeit a bit slower.Did 'nt cost near as much in those day's tho', [$800 ]. He'll make with your help Buddy, and pay you back for it,in his own way.

All the best over Christmas.

That sucks...plain & Simple.

But Dan said it best.

Its not life threatening, and he'll recover.

There are many who would not pony up the cash in your situation.

I both sympathize with and applaud you for making that desicion.

Pets are a member of the family to me, and it seems they are to you as well.

I've always said you can tell alot about a person by the way they treat their pets.

Your quite obviously a very compassionate man...good on you.

hang in there,

BEST WISHES RICK!

About a month ago my Beagle got into the garbage in the garage and managed to get one of my steelheading hooks lodged in his throat! Found him with line and a couple of split shots hanging out of his mouth. So off he went to the emergency, and two days later and $1000.00 he was more hyper than ever. The only difference was a couple of daily pain pills, a bald spot on the neck and some stiches. They actually cut through his neck and into his throat to remove the hook!!!! Gotta give them vets credit, they sure know what they're doing!

Good luck - I'm sure he'll be a-ok!

Shoot me a PM if need be - the power was flickering all afternoon/night tonight so I opted to stay away from the computer and now i'm pulling an all-nighter to catch up on some work before Christmas!

again, my best to your pal!!

UF

Rick sorry to hear about your friend. I have a cat that swallowed some yarn and didn't eat for 3 days, the cost for surgery was $1200 but did it in a heartbeat. Money comes and goes but like always it's what we do for others that really matters. You've made the right decision!

Shoot me an PM, I am going to need a website built.

Yup, your absolutely doing the right thing Rick.

We payed $1100 nearly 30 years ago to have our pooch fixed up after an injury and never gave it a 2nd thought, even though that was a pile of $$$$ back then that we couldn't really afford either.

Jack will let you know exactly how he feels about your decision once he's up & around.

Merry Christmas bud, yer a good man !!

Hey Rick, you best take care of yourself so you can take care of Jack when he's recuparating. He'll be full of beans and back to normal in no time, I am sorry that it did have to happen right at the holidays so he can't get the help sooner, but as was mentioned, it is not life threatening.

To help him get around without putting weight on his legs, if it's a back one, try to support him by using a towel under his belly and walk beside him...

Maureen

Rick, I can certain feel for what you are going through right now. Situations like this are almost as tough on the masters as it is our companions. Kudos for you for doing whatever you can.

I just learned this week that my own fishing partner (in my avatar) has a torn ACL and is hobbling around. Trip to the local vet and some X-rays and exam showed the problem. Our vet said he could do the surgery, but that I would have better results to take her about an hour away to a surgeon who is much more experienced. I do thank my vet for such honesty. We also took X-rays of the hips and there is only mild changes, so the hips are still in good shape. This also is good news.

I contacted this other VET and was fortunate to get in January 8 for surgery. It's gonna cost me about $2,000 give or take, for this surgery. With her hips still in good shape, there was no question as to whether to put down this much money or not. She's got too many fishing trips left in her - she's looking forward to Lakair this coming June.

My best to Jack and hope the surgery goes well and Jack will be back on his feet in good time. If you would, please keep us updated on Jack's progress. I, for one, am very interested to hear what we may also have to go through following the surgery and recovery.

Rick sorry to learn about your budz mishap. These animals gives us unconditional love and loyalty and in return they expect us to care for them. Money is not an issue when it comes to my pets health and well being.

Rest yourself, and try to have a Merry Christmas.

John