Years of service finally pays off

Fang

With 2007 being my 20 year anniversary at work I was very suprised recently when they handed me a package to look through. Expecting only a letter and possible a small momento (as was done in the past) , I was very pleased to find inside the envelope a voucher for $350 in gift cards.

All I had to do was log on to this website and pick from a large selection of participating companies. Didn't have to get to far down the list when I see Bass Pro Shops, Home Depot, CTC, Future Shop among a number I like to spend money at!!!!

Picked a couple EB Games, Body Shop cards for the kids and wife and still leaves me with $200 at BPS burning a hole in my pocket.

Anyone wanna skip off work and go shopping??

In my business, it's VERY UNCOMMON to come across an individual who has stayed with the same company for 5 years, much less 20 years! Congrats on a feat seldom seen these days! It's re-assuring to others who have been through the gamit of employers to know that there are still good company's out there who respect and VALUE loyal employees!

Congrats Fang and enjoy you tribute!

HH

Congrats Paul !!! As HH points out 20 years is a rarity in this day and age, unless you're a civil servant waiting for a lifetime of serverance. (that should catch me some flack!)

I have two guys left at the Plastics plant that are over 20 years... out of approximately 2000 that have come and go in the last 22 years. Christmas bonuses are as rare as hens teeth these days, but we have continued to do it, as we have since the beginning... Christmas bonus = $75 base + $25 for every years service.. plus we still have a Christmas Party dinner and dance. Some never think it's enough, but as you've pointed out many are very pleased that they are getting anything at all in comparison to most people they know.

Edited by irishfield

Congrat's Fang, well earned!

Some never think it's enough, but as you've pointed out many are very pleased that they are getting anything at all in comparison to most people they know.

You're right Wayne.

About 12 years ago we (60-70 of us) received an unexpected $250 bonus a week before Christmas. There were so many people whining "That's what we get instead of a raise?" that we never saw another one. Our fleet operations manager was incensed. I was grateful for this surprise not to mention our regular quarterly bonuses and year end bonus that accounts for about 5% of my income for just doing my job.

-Brian

Congrats

It sure is nice to receive those little perks. And it's equally nice to hear that someone actually appreciates it.

The company I work for has changed owners 4 times in my 25 years so one never know what the "New Guys" are going to roll out. This year after 25 years of never getting a Christmas bonus the "New Guys" handed out $500 to everyone. I was grinning from ear to ear...especially since I had just put 4 new tires on my car just the day before. Others where doing the "It's about time we finally got something" rant. I was left shaking my head. Some people no matter what are just ungrateful whiners.

Nice to hear you got a little perk and appreciate it. Now go out and get some NEW TOYS!!!

Yes you will catch flack about the crack about civil servants. I have worked for the City of Toronto for 27 years providing recreation programs for seniors All the staff in our Home for the Aged are dedicated and hard working , and take offence that you would slight us just for a "joke" Think before you type!

LOL Fishermccann... got your nice PM too ! Wasn't a joke... simply a fact that about the only place that you see decades of "loyalty" to an employer anymore is in the "civil servant" category...thanks generally to a good pension on the out going end. Many deserve what they get, for what they've done over the many years... and many don't and why I knew I'd take some flack for that comment. I've got an aquaintence that was a school principal and now retired. He got paid quite nicely throughout his career and now goes to his mailbox on a weekly basis to collect his ~$80,000 a year for tinkering in his workshop! I'll work the same time period and all I'll find in my mail box is bills.

Congratulations on reaching the 20th anniversay on your job Paul, I would assume your obviously doing something you truly enjoy and that makes a huge difference when heading into work every day.

Enjoy your bonus, you've earned it !!