Cold Weather Hot Steelheading!

solopaddler

Well I've said it before, but I really do hate the cold :) .

However, one of my favourite trib's had just cleared up after a prolonged blowout. The weather

didn't look too brutal, so it was game on today.

The reason I love this river is the challenge. It's big water with heavy current and landing fish is

always tough.

Fortunately today because of the cold water the majority of the fish hooked were subdued. I did however have

one EPIC battle with a fresh fish in the 12lb class that took me over a km downstream stumbling along ice

covered boulders before I managed to land it. What a blast! :D

It's a river that requires heavier rods and line, and today I effectively managed to de-virginize a very sweet 8/9WT GLX spey conversion. What a great stick for big water!

On a side note, this river is far enough away and unknown to most that I feel comfortable posting some

background in the pic's.

If anyone has an issue with this pm me (but please don't ask me where I was :) ).

In no particular order here's some of todays catch:

100_2177.jpg

100_2178.jpg

100_2179.jpg

100_2172.jpg

100_2171.jpg

100_2170.jpg

100_2173.jpg

100_2174.jpg

100_2176.jpg

100_2162.jpg

100_2161.jpg

100_2169.jpg

100_2167.jpg

100_2168.jpg

100_2150-1.jpg

100_2151.jpg

100_2152.jpg

100_2156.jpg

100_2137.jpg

100_2139.jpg

100_2143.jpg

100_2144.jpg

100_2146.jpg

100_2148.jpg

100_2136.jpg

100_2134.jpg

100_2131.jpg

100_2128.jpg

Cheers, Mike :Gonefishing:

Edited by solopaddler

Beauty report and pictures, won't want to go for a unexpected swim in that water, looks fast and cold...

No doubt!

While fishing a large back eddy I saw a huge log probably 12-15' sweep downstream and get sucked under. I watched for it and it finally resurfaced 5 mins later about 20' downstream. Definitely some heavy, dangerous currents!

At one point while chasing that one hot fish downstream I had to wade around a log jam in fast water.

The water was murky enough that you couldn't see bottom, and I stepped off a ledge into water that was right to the very top of my waders. :)

If not for the fished pinned to the end of my line to give me a bit of balance I would have fallen face first.

As it was I stumbled along 'till I found footing in shallower water and continued the chase...

Close call, but then that's what makes it memorable.

I hate you. I really really do.

That being said...I know I got the invite, but I just couldn't go. Damn!!!! I knew you'd have a banner day out there. Some great looking fish there Mike....are you pretty much done for the year? It looked cold, but the adrenaline does a lot for warming you up when catching fish. Congrats on a great day out there. I'm looking forward to the spring run!!

I hate you. I really really do.

That being said...I know I got the invite, but I just couldn't go. Damn!!!! I knew you'd have a banner day out there. Some great looking fish there Mike....are you pretty much done for the year? It looked cold, but the adrenaline does a lot for warming you up when catching fish. Congrats on a great day out there. I'm looking forward to the spring run!!

How'd you know it was going to be good? I was really leery about it myself, LOL!

As long as it stays relatively mild then there'll be plenty more opportunities, in fact things

are looking pretty good for later this week :) .