Take a moment to check this out...

Bojangles

I don't see a problem with one statement on there..... Once you have caught your limit stop fishing. I have been saying that for years. C and R to me has never been a cure all for the fishery. I know a lot of the people on here disagree and that is their right. Personally I have just spent too many days on the river watching the C and R types hooking into 20 plus fish losing about half because the 2lb leader they are using break off. They are using tackle that light because they are going to release the fish anyhow, but now many of those hookups now have not just a hook in them but now they have a line as well that can get caught on something and hold the fish there while it starves or tires to the point of death. Yet the supposedly enlighted C and R crowd is quick to dismiss any potential problem like this. I hope that eventually we get some scientific data to discover what C and R does during the spawning runs to the percentage of reproduction from those fish that are caught versus those that aren't. I suspect that the trauma of being caught has an effect, but I don't know for sure. Maybe someday we will get a true answer until then what is wrong with being conservative and leaving after hooking and landing a couple of fish whether you keep them or not?

Edited by Canuck2fan

personally I would like you to remove the links and just give an explanation..

each person that goes to the website, it records and they will be able to go to the gov. or public and say boy our view are popular just look how many people come to share our views on the subject

so we are increasing their power by posting the links....IMHO

each person that goes to the website, it records and they will be able to go to the gov. or public and say boy our view are popular just look how many people come to share our views on the subject

Couldn't agree more with you Terry.

I couldn't find the section where it talks about the benefits to areas that depend on fishing/tourism for survial. Or the area that tells about the how good it is for people to be getting off their couches and doing something outside. There must be section in there as well about how relaxing fishing can be, reducing stress, which is the one of the top factors for lost productivity in the workforce.

I'll have to go back and read more carefully...it must be in there.

hypocrites what about the cars they drive that spew toxins into the air or all the energy used to make transport and run the computer they used to write this ignorant post.there are for to many serious environmental issuse to be addressed and catch and release isnt one of them.

fine.... i wont look <_<

Catch and Release Angling

The Ontario govt. is promoting sport fishing as part of the ‘Ontario Yours To Discover’ tourism campaign. Sport fishing is portrayed as a leisurely family activity, good for you and good for the environment.

But this seemingly benign activity has serious environmental consequences, so the Peaceful Parks Coalition is writing a series of informative fact sheets highlighting the facts and myths about sport fishing.

Catch and Release Angling:

Catch and release angling was originally introduced as a conservation measure.

Individual anglers, whether standing alone in a river or in a fishing party in the middle of a lake, accumulatively take a lot of fish out of the aquatic ecosystem - too many fish to be considered ecologically sustainable.

So provincial and state governments regulate the sport fishery by limiting the amount of fish an angler is allowed to catch and take home. But these ‘bag’ limits are too restrictive. Anglers complain that fishing trips come to an abrupt end as soon as catch limits are reached.

To enhance the ‘angling experience’, catch and release was, and continues to be, promoted by government fish and wildlife agencies. Anglers can fish all day as long as they remove the hook from the fish and throw it back into the water, presumably saved to be caught again later.

Catch and Release Angling Kills Fish:

At a glance, catch and release programs would appear to be a good conservation measure but only if you view fish as toys.

Hooks used to catch fish are big and sharp, may be barbed, and often lodge themselves in the head of a fish – the mouth, gills and eyes.

To remove the hook, the fish is lifted from the water causing it to temporarily suffocate. Fish breathe through water. Taking a fish out of water is equivalent to drowning for mammals. The hook is then torn off or cut off leaving the fish wounded, too often seriously.

Also, for large fish the aquatic medium provides balanced support for skeleton, musculature and internal organs. Removing them up out of the water can put unnatural strains on the fish's body.

Most fish species are covered by a thin layer of mucous "slime", which protects them. This may survive careful handling with wet hands, but not rough or prolonged handling, or with dry hands. Compromising this layer can lead to moulds and infections.

Many studies now confirm that fish caught and released through hook and line angling may suffer so much trauma during the event that they could die shortly thereafter. Even if fish survive, they might be less able to reproduce or more susceptible to disease.

A new study, which will be published in next month's Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology (August 2007), measures the physical trauma experienced by hooked fish and the causes of death.

The study’s findings suggest that extensive exercise, in combination with air exposure, a hook wound and extensive handling can play a role in loss of equilibrium for a hooked fish and can cause its death. The researchers compare the loss of equilibrium ‘to a person being asked to walk a straight line after having been spun around in a circle, or to a runner giving his all, "essentially what a fish is doing when it is being angled," and then not being able to walk very well afterwards because muscles are full of lactic acid.’

‘Like marathon runners, it is as though the caught fish "hits a wall."’

Sport Fishing Is Ecological Unsustainable

Catch and release programs were introduced because fish and wildlife agencies across North America understood that recreational angling was not ecologically sustainable. Sport fishing has the ability to deplete the aquatic system.

And as it is, fish hatcheries and the introduction of exotic species is often required, even at the expense of native species, to try to satisfy anglers' demand for sport fish.

Keeping anglers happy is important to wildlife management agencies whose funding comes from the sale of fishing licenses, regardless of the damage done to the environment.

The sport fishery is defined by ‘hook and line’ and as a recreational activity (not subsistence, i.e. food). While the taste of fish may be a consideration, fish attractive to sport anglers tend to be those species renowned for their speed and strength – fish that provide a challenge to the angler. Because catch and release programs were introduced to sustain the appeal of sport fishing, and not ecological sustainability, it fails as a conservation tool and is arguably an inhumane fishing practice.

If you go fishing this summer, please stop fishing once you have caught your limit.

Links:

An online search using the keywords “catch and release angling” will reveal an abundance of information on this topic. Below are a few sources of information for your convenience:

Discovery Channel – Catch and Release Angling Injures Fish, July 2007.

Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology

Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources – Catch-and-release angling: A review with guidelines for proper fish handling practices, July 2005

United States Geographical Survey, Alaska Science Centre, Biological Science Office – Evaluating the effects of catch-and-release fishing on the hooking injury and immediate physiological response of Alagnak River rainbow trout captured by catch-and-release angling, August 2003

Carleton University, Cooke Lab, Fish Ecology and Conservation Physiology Laboratory - Catch and Release and other Recreational Fishing Papers

Well i can tell you this about them people...being religious,or P3TA,or anit-animal groups better not come knocking on my door,i already once kicked a guys briefcase right down the driveway and right into the street !!!!!...and yes i would do it again in a heartbeat !!!!! dang idiots :wallbash::asshat::devil::dunno::spam:

To remove the hook, the fish is lifted from the water causing it to temporarily suffocate

I love that part... i'm gonna start an anti group and my slogan will be...."parents, do not take your kids swimming as it is a a form of child abuse, humans need air to breathe, when they are submerged in water it cause temporary suffocation...".... classic know-it-all

My replies are in red....

Catch and Release Angling

The Ontario govt. is promoting sport fishing as part of the 'Ontario Yours To Discover' tourism campaign. Sport fishing is portrayed as a leisurely family activity, good for you and good for the environment.

It is good for you. Fishing is a way to enjoy and appreciate nature. People who are exposed to fishing have a much greater understanding of how ecosystems work and the effect that we all have on them. Anglers are often the driving forces behind pollution and encroachment abatement measures and are often the ones who notice problems first.

But this seemingly benign activity has serious environmental consequences, so the Peaceful Parks Coalition is writing a series of informative fact sheets highlighting the facts and myths about sport fishing.

And as well it appears you wish to create some new myths of your own.

Catch and Release Angling:

Catch and release angling was originally introduced as a conservation measure.

Individual anglers, whether standing alone in a river or in a fishing party in the middle of a lake, accumulatively take a lot of fish out of the aquatic ecosystem - too many fish to be considered ecologically sustainable.

Not true at all. In fact most catch restrictions are placed as a result of angling combined with commercial/native harvesting tactics. Anglers harvest a insignificant number of fish from healthy water ways.

So provincial and state governments regulate the sport fishery by limiting the amount of fish an angler is allowed to catch and take home. But these 'bag' limits are too restrictive. Anglers complain that fishing trips come to an abrupt end as soon as catch limits are reached.

There is no such thing as a bag limit. There are possession limits. Bag limits are part of practices long since abandoned. I thought you were going to debunk myths, not reintroduce old ones.

To enhance the 'angling experience', catch and release was, and continues to be, promoted by government fish and wildlife agencies. Anglers can fish all day as long as they remove the hook from the fish and throw it back into the water, presumably saved to be caught again later.

Yes, C&R is promoted by government and private sector biologists as an effective method to prevent population loss. Your use of sarcasm is quite juvenile.

You also tend to try and paint a picture of fish being 'thrown' in the literal sense. Shameful writing and reminiscent of P3TA style propaganda. I'm surprised you aren't talking about trauma to the poor fishes psyche.

Catch and Release Angling Kills Fish:

At a glance, catch and release programs would appear to be a good conservation measure but only if you view fish as toys.

Hmmm..interesting ...Fish as toys. Kinda like how I view some of the anti's...like a slinky toy. Not really useful for much, but it brings a smile to my face to see one roll down the stairs.

Hooks used to catch fish are big and sharp, may be barbed, and often lodge themselves in the head of a fish – the mouth, gills and eyes.

Yes..big and sharp! Like the size of a car and the hooks go through their brains! Right into their eyes and they need canes to get around after that. Are you sure P3TA didn't write this crap for you? Most hooks are smaller that a quarter. In fact the bigger the hook, the less damage it does to a fish.

To remove the hook, the fish is lifted from the water causing it to temporarily suffocate. Fish breathe through water. Taking a fish out of water is equivalent to drowning for mammals. The hook is then torn off or cut off leaving the fish wounded, too often seriously.

Taking a fish out of water is not the same as drowning a mammal. Not even close. Please check your facts. Some species of fish can live hours out of water. Hooks are usually removed quite carefully and many anglers actually cut the hook in half to reduce injury to the fish.

Also, for large fish the aquatic medium provides balanced support for skeleton, musculature and internal organs. Removing them up out of the water can put unnatural strains on the fish's body.

Yes it can, which is why proper hold techniques are an essential part of angler education. Just try and post a vertical hold of a big fish here and see how quickly you get 'edumacated'.

Most fish species are covered by a thin layer of mucous "slime", which protects them. This may survive careful handling with wet hands, but not rough or prolonged handling, or with dry hands. Compromising this layer can lead to moulds and infections.

Again, mostly true. Your use of the word 'may survive' is incorrect. The quantifier should have been 'usually always.'

Many studies now confirm that fish caught and released through hook and line angling may suffer so much trauma during the event that they could die shortly thereafter. Even if fish survive, they might be less able to reproduce or more susceptible to disease.

This is a misleading and quite irresponsible statement. Saying that studies 'now confirm' post release mortality is close to a fabrication. Post release mortality and delayed mortality has been studied for decades and its results keenly watched by anglers looking to improve on their release methods and knowing when it is better to harvest than to release. Your statement 'they might be less able to reproduce' is completely without merit and is in no way supportable..in fact I will call it a lie.

A new study, which will be published in next month's Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology (August 2007), measures the physical trauma experienced by hooked fish and the causes of death.

The study's findings suggest that extensive exercise, in combination with air exposure, a hook wound and extensive handling can play a role in loss of equilibrium for a hooked fish and can cause its death. The researchers compare the loss of equilibrium 'to a person being asked to walk a straight line after having been spun around in a circle, or to a runner giving his all, "essentially what a fish is doing when it is being angled," and then not being able to walk very well afterwards because muscles are full of lactic acid.'

Lactic acid has long been a known risk factor in fish.. This is why the proper equipment for catching fish is part of angler education. It is no longer considered ethical to intentionally target fish with equipment not suited to quickly bring in a caught fish. This reduces the chance of a lactic acid response. In fact the survival rate of fish released right after catching is well over 90%.

'Like marathon runners, it is as though the caught fish "hits a wall."'

I was wondering when you would try and use the tired old anthropomorphizing tactic.

Sport Fishing Is Ecological Unsustainable

Catch and release programs were introduced because fish and wildlife agencies across North America understood that recreational angling was not ecologically sustainable. Sport fishing has the ability to deplete the aquatic system.

Many things have the 'ability' to deplete fishing resources. Pollution, over harvesting, climate change, farming practices, urban sprawl and water management all contribute.

Catch and release programs were part of a system to ensure population levels were sustainable. Any unchecked human activity can deplete resources. Farming is one. I Mention this because I am betting dollars to donuts you are a vegan.

And as it is, fish hatcheries and the introduction of exotic species is often required, even at the expense of native species, to try to satisfy anglers' demand for sport fish.

Actually most of the 'exotic' species released into Ontario were done to control other non-native species such as alewives and smelt. Without them, the environmental impact would have been unrepairable.

Keeping anglers happy is important to wildlife management agencies whose funding comes from the sale of fishing licenses, regardless of the damage done to the environment.

That statement makes no sense whatsoever. A clean and healthy environment is what is needed for fishing to be possible. Anglers are usually at the forefront of environmental conservation that makes sense and isn't full of half-truths and hyperbole...nothing personal.

The sport fishery is defined by 'hook and line' and as a recreational activity (not subsistence, i.e. food). While the taste of fish may be a consideration, fish attractive to sport anglers tend to be those species renowned for their speed and strength – fish that provide a challenge to the angler. Because catch and release programs were introduced to sustain the appeal of sport fishing, and not ecological sustainability, it fails as a conservation tool and is arguably an inhumane fishing practice.

You've made several incorrect and misleading assumptions. First you imply that anglers don't eat what they catch and that the 'stronger' fish are most sought after. In fact, walleye is the number one fish sought in Ontario and is harvested very highly. It is done for food. As most angler will tell you, the walleye is not exactly a champion fighter. Panfish like crappie and perch are also more sought out than the big boys like musky and salmon. Not much action in fighting a crappie, but they sure are yummy.

If you go fishing this summer, please stop fishing once you have caught your limit.

But wait..if I am releasing fish exclusively, I have no limit. I am also now allowed to cull fish (which i don't personally agree with, but it is now permitted)...so really I no longer have a limit of fish I can catch.

Links:

An online search using the keywords "catch and release angling" will reveal an abundance of information on this topic. Below are a few sources of information for your convenience:

Discovery Channel – Catch and Release Angling Injures Fish, July 2007.

Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology

Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources – Catch-and-release angling: A review with guidelines for proper fish handling practices, July 2005

United States Geographical Survey, Alaska Science Centre, Biological Science Office – Evaluating the effects of catch-and-release fishing on the hooking injury and immediate physiological response of Alagnak River rainbow trout captured by catch-and-release angling, August 2003

Carleton University, Cooke Lab, Fish Ecology and Conservation Physiology Laboratory - Catch and Release and other Recreational Fishing Papers