Downriggers Im gonna buy a set what are good models

2 tone z71

If you are handy with electrics,you can buy used manuals (big jon are my preferrence) and turn them into electrics.

Princess Auto will have all you need.

If you want some help feel free to pm,since Im south of Thunder Bay aswell.LOL

Edited by misfish

Cannons get my vote too. I've used Big Jons and Scottys a number of times on friends boats. I bought 2 Mag 10's in 1989 and they are still working great.

There are faster and cheaper ones out there but if I ever have to buy another, I'll spend my money on Cannons

IMO spend the money and get electric

I think its a matter of personal choice , i have been running 2 big-jons captains packs since 1990,and they are still working great...all the electric middle to top of the line models from all the big 4 companies all work well,and some have a few options that other ones dont have,but figure which ones will suit you best,for example big-jons can go up & down,the boom arm,you can just grab and lift up,its great,and they are all aluminum,never rust,so just see what ones are best for you,and the price,just go to all their websites and do your homework :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

If you are handy with electrics,you can buy used manuals (big jon are my preferrence) and turn them into electrics.

Princess Auto will have all you need.

If you want some help feel free to pm,since Im south of Thunder Bay aswell.LOL

I was thinking the same thing... they appear to be electric window crank motors on the inside. Go to the wreckers and buy a old door with electric windows and figure it out. Should be a fun challenge.

Definitly go with scottys. 1116 or 1117 models are the best. I love mine there super fast up and have auto stop. there free fall down so you can get there in a matter of seconds. Go with scottys you wont regret it.

Bowen

Come on Bowen! You know better than anyone to pop the rods and let 'em flutter up. Why do you need fast retrieve? By the way, Cannon is faster if you're into retrieve racing. Most riggers have auto-stop, none will stop it in time for the stackers. All have free fall but only Scotty doesn't have power down. And they're flippin' HUGE!

I don't have anything against Scotty's, in fact if they were the last downrigger on earth I'd use them in a heartbeat! :P

-Brian

ive got friends with the Walker units ,they have good things to say about them,I was gonna buy at the sportsman show,but does this place in Woodstock have a website by chance

No website Z

When you know what you want PM me and I can help get them to you.

-Brian

I've had Scotty's for over 10 years without a problem except for this year. I have an extending boom out to 4'. The plastic thumb screw that holds the extended boom in place broke off. Called Scotty and they sent me all the necessary parts and instructions on how to fix it. I could have sent it to them to fix but didn't want to be without. Even though I had this problem, I'd still recommend Scotty.

My electric Big Jons are 30 years old, the only thing ever changed once on both were the electric switches, and the swivel that holds the pully wheel on the arm. Both were easy and inexpensive to replace. I know there are nicer ones out there, but if you want ones that will last, then get the Big Jon's and definately get electric (what a pain in the but it must be to real in a fish and the downrigger at the same time when you are by yourself, let alone two riggers when you're fishing salmon on L.O.)

Edited by Tackle Buster

I think your going to get as many answers as there are manufacturers. I'm sure they all work well, as they all have there faults. Do some research, find the size your looking for and go with the best deal you can find.

Personally I use Cannons but have no experience with any others to compare.

i've used a bunch this year, and i like the scotty...

big yes, but i liked them best...

i had 4 walker electrics, now i have 2 electric and 1 manual (all walker)...

big jon - looks like crap, but best rod holders...

walker - nice, compact, don't use rod holder for dipsy, don't like the down switch, too easy to flip down instead of stop

scotty - huge, i liked them most, don't like that they are all plastic though

ive owned a couple different ones & used many on other buddies boats

They are all quite comparable like others said, but they allhave a couple different things about them

Big Jons do have the best rod holders & they tilt back, also the electrics can be manuals as well (come with a handle unlike the other brands)

Scottys also are great - but are a little big, are plastic & rod holders cant really be adjusted

Walkers - Canadian made, good warranty, lousy rod holders

Cannons - solid, good holders, small footprint,

When I upgrade my boat years from now Big Jons or Cannons will be going on it