Another Banner Year!! (NF)

TJQ

Well... this was my tenth anniversary going on this particular trip.. It was a bit cut short this year due to some of the partys scheduling conflicts but we "got 'er dun" anyway.

The weather certainly didn't cooperate though, it was very warm and rainy for much of the trip (Although.. I cleaned up on the fishing side bets, the crib side bets and finally the Texas Hold 'em.. lol.. by the end of that day nobody was talking to me.... ) and game wasn't moving around as much as it could have been. However, that being said it was the first year we filled our moose tag. We generally don't hunt for moose till all the deer tags are filled but this year one of the guys was in the right place at the right time and we got a nice bull moose. The deer hunting was very slow, no lack of deer, tons and tons of sign, but the chances for shooting were few and far between at the beginning of the hunt. It should be a banner year for any one hunting a bit later.

We wound up with three deer, not a banner year, but still meat on the table. Combined with the moose, thats around 200 lbs of meat for the freezer per man this year, which makes up for the lack of deer (LOL... um.. I think were gonna pay a bit more attention to the moose hunting from now on.)

For those of you traveling out west DO NOT stop to eat at the Husky in Nipigon if your looking to make time... we stopped for a quick lunch on the way back that took 1.5 hours in a restaurant that wasn't busy... and we all ordered the same thing.

Anyway heres some pictures of the adventure.. all told we saw/jumped 8 moose and 23 deer. I personally had my first walking encounter with a VERY LARGE timber wolf... i looked over my shoulder the rest of that day ill tell ya.

We also watched a black bear sit on the railway tracks and watch my buddy on his stand for 15 min.. before I ran down the tracks and scared him away.

Heres the moose from where it was shot... back to camp.. and then to the butchers in Fort Frances.

campwest2007-20.jpg

campwest2007-19.jpg

campwest2007-18.jpg

campwest2007-17.jpg

campwest2007-16.jpg

campwest2007-15.jpg

campwest2007-14.jpg

My favourite watch.

campwest2007-13.jpg

Big Buck Bob AKA Moz... in his new tree stand.

campwest2007-12.jpg

Nice fresh moose droppings!!

campwest2007-11.jpg

I was bored and took this picture of Betty Lou.

campwest2007-10.jpg

Moz getting the finer points of skinning...

campwest2007-9.jpg

Ahhh... deer tenderloin at the camp in salt pepper and onions... melts in your mouth!!

campwest2007-8.jpg

At this point I was outta breath.....

campwest2007-7.jpg

Bestest camp mouse trap ever!!

campwest2007-6.jpg

Bye Bye till next year.... booooo hoooooo.....

campwest2007-5.jpg

Some scenery shots on the way home...

campwest2007-4.jpg

campwest2007-3.jpg

And the fun begins....

campwest2007-2.jpg

campwest2007-1.jpg

Even the meat mans gotta take a break!!

campwest2007-21.jpg

Well thats it till next year.. I can't wait to go back...

After eating at the Husky in Cochrane last summer, I'd say stay away!!!

Marino's on the side of 17 in Marathon is pretty good, we stayed at his hotel/motel/no-tell a couple of years ago on the way to Kenora. Further up there's a Robin's Donuts/KFC if I'm not mistaken but the name of the town escapes me.

Nice shot of Betty Lou. Was it her that took down the Moose??

Nice trip. Great report. That moose is a moose.

A moose is a moose by any other name is a mooses moose.

Wow TJ...looked like an amazing time! Great pics too....could have done without the moose turds though...LOL.

When your walking and they are wet and glistening, ie that fresh, it gets the heart a pounding...

that is a nice bull

hope you didn't get him outta my spot LOL

Rickster, nope not outta your spot.. accross in back of the camp.

Glad you enjoyed yourself Jen

Thanks Jen, its hard to tell ya how much I enjoy that place...

"by the end of that day nobody was talking to me.... "

Isn't that normal?

Ha ha.... but ya.....

Love that mouse trap by the way .... what do you put in the bottle for bait ?

Peanut butter and Jam!!

Nice shot of Betty Lou. Was it her that took down the Moose??

Nope... poor Betty Lou didn't get to bark an anything this year... first time in five or six years she doesn't :glare: