Saturday and Sunday

Garry2Rs

My friend Musky Bill arrived about 7:30am on Saturday morning, however, we didn't head out until after a long breakfast. In the meantime there was a brief shower, but by the time we rolled, the rain had stopped.

Buck decided to sit this one out...He's running in the local elections, and needed to campaign...GRIN

FishinwithGarry_004.JPG FishinwithGarry_001.JPG

Because there was such a strong wind, Bill and I decided to return to my favourite lake, we felt we could find some sheltered areas on the smaller water.

FishinwithGarry_013.JPG

When we approached my usual, weed-bed-in-the-last-bay starting point, there was another boat working the area. We chose to start on the north side of the lake, and fish those regular docks and boats. Along the way we landed several small fish, but nothing to write home about until we crossed into the Bay with the four islands.

Between the two sets of two islands there are several shoals...Off the end of one of the shoals, Bill connected with a huge fish. When he hauled it over the side, the Small Mouth had broken his spinnerbait in half...grin. The line was hanging on by a half curve of broken wire...

We had no scale, but on the Golden Rule, it measured 21.5 inches. What a pig!!!

FishinwithGarry_009.JPG Bill__s_Bass_004.JPG

I didn't get shut-out, but how can a guy follow an act like that?

FishinwithGarry_010.JPG FishinwithGarry_011.JPG

I'm sure some of you guys remember Curtis who used to post here when he was about 14...

The_return_of_Curtis.JPG[

Well, he's 19 now and he called last Friday night. Because of work etc. he hasn't had much chance to fish, and/or post recently. We arranged to fish together on Sunday. When I got back to my place he was waiting for me. We planned to try Chandos for Pike and Bass. The fishing was fairly slow as we checked out a few shoals and bays etc.

In the morning it was dead calm...Buck found several schools of minnows to chase at the launch...

Buck_the_minnow_hunter.JPG

At about 11:30 the breeze picked up for the rest of the day. Curtis had a Pike come-off at boat side, and a SMBass and a very good LMBass...

Good_Bass.JPG

I had a few Rock Bass...GRIN.

We were supposed to fish together on Monday, but the travel plans got mixed up and Curtis' ride arrived about half an hour after we hit the water.

before his Dad reached us we spooked a 40"Musky, but nothing came of it.

I opted to hang in and fish a little longer.

The lake was still and the sun was high...

I learned a great deal about the shape and location of various weedbeds, but you know the old saying, "If you can see them, they can see you"...

It was a beautiful Fall day but with the sun so high and the calm water it was tough. You had to stay well way from cover.

I threw a small Rapala DT4 crankbait and took 5 or 6 smaller Bass before heading home, at around 3PM, for supper.

Garry2R's

Edited by garry2rs

Thanks for the report, Garry,

We were out on the same lake on Saturday (maybe we were the ones on your spot, on the water at 7:30, no time for breaky).

Good thing we were out early, I caught my personal best LM after about 20 minutes on the water, just over 5 lbs. He was tight up to shore among some fallen branches. Of course we had no digital camera with us, only my buddy's disposable film camera...I hope the pics turn out. Not bad for a lake known mostly for it's smallies. Two times we have fished this lake and both times the biggest bass was a largie.

I also had a small muskie on for a short time before a beautiful acrobatic jump broke him off. I was drop-shotting a wacky-rigged 4" senko.

Almost all the fish we caught were on senkos or something similiar. With the wind up, we thought there would be a better spinner-bait bite (obviously there was for Bill).