Fire in TO - Upgraded to 5 alarm

fishnsled

Heads up for your commute home.

Three Alarm Blaze Raging At Victoria Park And Danforth

Thursday September 20, 2007

CityNews.ca Staff

Thick black smoke is wafting out over parts of the city as a major fire is burning at an auto wrecking business on Thora Ave. in the Victoria Park and Danforth area. The effects of the three-alarm blaze, which was first spotted just before 2pm, can be seen for several blocks as it continues to burn.

There have been evacuations in the area on both Emmitt St. and Thora Ave. for safety reasons, as it's unclear exactly what's burning at this point, and those living nearby have been advised to shut their doors and windows.

Crews continue to fight it, and police are warning motorists heading to the area to expect some closed streets and delays, as emergency vehicles access the scene.

Fire

Edited by fishnsled

Heard about it on my way home... Lew, how's your mom?

Maureen

Mom's only about 1000' from the fire Moe, but with the light winds, the smoke is going straight up and well above her home and everything is OK, but thanks for caring.

BTW Moe, you made quite an impression on her and she often asks about you.

nelly, the number of alarms is just a code used by Fire Depts to designate the equipment required at an emergency, but the news media use it to sensationalize their news stories.

For a 1st alarm call, it'll usually be just 3 trucks and a Chief Officer, but as more equipment is required, he'll call for a certain alarm response, which has a pre-determined amount of trucks and man-power.

This is basically a 5 alarm response, but the Chief Officer can change it as he sees fit and special-call whatever he needs.

5th Alarm

14 pumpers, 5 aerials, 2 squads, 5 district chiefs, 1 platoon, 1 division commander, 1 command vehicles, 2 air supply trucks, 1 hazardous materials vehicles, other support staff if needed.

Pumpers, aerials and squads usually carry 3-4 men

No one was hurt in the fire, there is a suspicion of arson, lots of folks were evacuated from their homes in the area, initially anyway.

Mom's only about 1000' from the fire Moe, but with the light winds, the smoke is going straight up and well above her home and everything is OK, but thanks for caring.

BTW Moe, you made quite an impression on her and she often asks about you.

Lew, I'm glad that she is ok, I know where your mom lives which is why I was concerned. She made quite an impression on me and I'm sorry I don't get to see her more often.

Maureen