My Friend Is Dying

solopaddler

Thanks each and every one of you for the kind words and support, it's appreciated.

Mans greatest cross to bear IMO is the knowledge that we're mortal and our time on

this earth is fleeting.

Immortality can be found through the eyes of your children, and that's where I find my solace.

I realize that this is simply a fact of life and happens to everyone, but it's never happened

to me before....

Anyhow, I've been brooding about this all morning and the conclusion I've come to is life goes

on. I'll be leaving on Thursday to head up north with another good friend, hopefully catch

some fish and share a few laughs.

If Kareem is still able to we'll go to Picton in November for a couple days (maybe see some of

you guys there).

The guy is a walleye ace and lives for the late fall fishing out there. He usually keeps his boat docked at Tip Of The Bay from Oct. 'till Dec. 'cause he's there every week...

Anyway I can only hope.

Thanks again, Mike

1/2 an hour ago I get a call from Kareem, he said the doctors told him they weren't going to treat him anymore for the disease...he's too far gone.

Said he's not going to worry about it, he's just going to live his life, and he now wants to head north

with me on Thursday.

I can't believe he's actually going, you guys have no idea how much I want this to happen.

The timing of this phone call is really giving me pause after asking you guys for your thoughts

and prayers, it really makes me wonder...

Here's hoping I've got a great report for you guys next week...

Thanks again,

Mike

Well Mike and I just got off the phone before I had time to read this thread he explained it all to me.

The weekend was to be a bush wacking and to a certain extent Im sure some extreme portaging to get into some big canadian shield smallie lakes and big pike lakes. With Kareem not being able to do that it took me about 2 seconds to decide with mike that this potentially could be a last remote trip so Mike and I will be sure its one he remembers........Wait till Kareem eats the milo shore lunch... that outa get him feeling much better.

A choice between extreme fishing in the remote quebec wilderness, or a laid back weekend fishing the cottage lake with some one we know might not be there next summer....................

Im all over the laid back part...

"Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, and today is a gift", Not sure who said it, but some crazy guy i worked with a few years ago told me...

Sorry for the bad news Mike, I don't pray but I am a believer in the human spirit, and the strength of it when times are bad. Have a great weekend!

Well Mike and I just got off the phone before I had time to read this thread he explained it all to me.

The weekend was to be a bush wacking and to a certain extent Im sure some extreme portaging to get into some big canadian shield smallie lakes and big pike lakes. With Kareem not being able to do that it took me about 2 seconds to decide with mike that this potentially could be a last remote trip so Mike and I will be sure its one he remembers........Wait till Kareem eats the milo shore lunch... that outa get him feeling much better.

A choice between extreme fishing in the remote quebec wilderness, or a laid back weekend fishing the cottage lake with some one we know might not be there next summer....................

Im all over the laid back part...

Thanks buddy, we'll have a great weekend! :)

Thanks each and every one of you for the kind words and support, it's appreciated.

Mans greatest cross to bear IMO is the knowledge that we're mortal and our time on

this earth is fleeting.

Immortality can be found through the eyes of your children, and that's where I find my solace.

I realize that this is simply a fact of life and happens to everyone, but it's never happened

to me before....

Anyhow, I've been brooding about this all morning and the conclusion I've come to is life goes

on. I'll be leaving on Thursday to head up north with another good friend, hopefully catch

some fish and share a few laughs.

If Kareem is still able to we'll go to Picton in November for a couple days (maybe see some of

you guys there).

The guy is a walleye ace and lives for the late fall fishing out there. He usually keeps his boat docked at Tip Of The Bay from Oct. 'till Dec. 'cause he's there every week...

Anyway I can only hope.

Thanks again, Mike

You are absolutely right Mike, we all face our mortality in different ways. We lost a very dear friend two weeks ago after a battle with cancer. She was a religious person and dealt with it through prayer. I have faced my own mortality more times than I would wish on anyone over the past couple of years and I deal with it through the eyes of my grandchildren.

I think that Kareem has made the right decision to continue to live his life and I know that you will have the opportunity to have some good times to come.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you....

John..

There's only one person who can perform a miracle and thats "Jesus!" Some might say I'm religious, some might say I'm nuts. But after the incident with my back and how he healed me the next morning. I know he can do the same for whatever the need is. I would pray for him but being there in person praying for him is alot more effective.

I do what I can in prayer on this end.

dsn

I have unfortunately been through this....

My best friend died of cancer at the ripe old age of 21.

Life’s just not fair sometimes plain and simple, and I definatly feel your pain.

I am a religious man and I'll pray for you.

Aside from preaching, here's My best advice...

Spend time with him, talk alot, laugh alot, cry alot....

Do alot of anything you can with him, but be strong for him, and remember to listen....that’s what he'll need

Be patient he's bound to be frustrated, and emotional.

Aside from a miracle...At the end of the day all you can do is be his friend like you always have been.

Lean hard on your mutual friends, and your family...they are hurting too, and will be more intune with how you feel then anyone else could be.

Take care,