Tired of Big Jon's downriggers any suggestions?

Vanselena

I've been using Big Jon downriggers for 20 years now and I think I am finally tired of repairing them. I've had the following repairs; on the electrics primarily the motors go and am tired of the $132 bill. On manuals have changed clutches, bearings, and most recently had a downrigger arm snap.

When looking at other rigger companies I see some offer lifetime warranties while others like Big Jon don't offer much except headaches. Didn't mind the headaches when I was younger but think age is starting to catch up.

Any Suggestions are appreciated, will be selling my 5 Big Jon's this winter and buying a new setup.

I still have my electric Big Jons, which are now about 25 yrs old. Never had a motor problem, the only thing I had to do was replace the plastic housing for the switch. I even still have the spring coil rod holders. I never had an opportunity to try any others, and if I ever decide to replace them for no apparent reason, I will probably buy Big Jons again.

I too have run big jon electrics for the past 10 years without any problems,,,, I do have a motor that is starting to slow and creep a bit however that was due to running a 15# ball last year, if you stick to 10# balls they should be fine, Its like everything else some people have some bad luck even with scotties, walkers, cannons etc, to each there own i guess, good luck either way you go.

cheers

ian

I have Walker Electrics...

problem is you can't get the best out of each...

Pros:

Walker is nice cause they are small and look good

Big Jons have awesome rod holders, you can also use the rodholder for a dipsy, tip up

Scottys I like the layout, lever for lowering down the ball, tip up

Cons:

Walker don't like the toggle switch for the down, rod holders, no tip up

Big Jons, look like crap, a piece of plastic would have went along way esthetically

Scottys, i don't like the rod holdersmind you i've never had any problems with my walkers,

This year, i spent time on a lot of boats, each boat had different riggers...

i'd probably go with Scottys if i had to do it again...

I've had my Cannon M-10's for over 20 years and given them more than a work out. Only things I've done to the 2 I own

each has had a new end roller and new drag washers on clutch. One 1 unit I replaced a breaker switch

Total over 15 years probably less than $50.

I bought mine on recommendations I got directly from the charter captains in dock J-L at Port Credit YC back in the hey day of the derby.

At that time it was Big Jon and Walker mostly.

Scottys all the way. Mine have never had a problem and there the fastest ive seen. And they have a lifetime warranty. What ever you break they replace. They also have awesome customer service.

try bass fishing and wait for salmon to come to u in the fall.

some guys like fish peeling off 500 feet at a time :P:P

Bowen

Edited by live2fish

If anyone is interested in Scotty's I will be clearing some out. I have 3 electrics left and I would have to check on the models tomorrow morning when I get in to work and I will be at least reducing them to cost.

If anyone interested send me a PM.

Regards,

Sam

I have had big-jons for 20 yrs ...and not a single problem,i have only had to replace springs ,which go to the line counter,and thats just normal wear & tear,i would own them again in a second,on the big jon speed riggers you can control the speed in which they go up & down and they can go faster that any other brand out there...i guess its just personal preferance :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

try bass fishing and wait for salmon to come to u in the fall.

no comment

I have owned & used a variety of different riggers manuals & electrics, both my own & friends

when the day comes that I upgrade to electrics, I am pretty certain they will be Big Jon Capatains packs

Edited by fishdawg