Dad learned a big lesson this weekend

irishfield

Crazy story!

My kids will not get in a boat without their PFD's on......its just part of the whole boating deal. Even when we are out cruising in the 24 foooter, first thing is PFD's. Before they set foot off the dock, they have them on. I no longer have to remind them, they just do it. Maybe get that point across to yours as well. They will save your life!!!

I just can't believe they were out there with no life jackets.... :dunno: .....never mind the sat/cellphones!!

Sinker

Guest mistyriver1

I'm so glad everything worked out OK Wayne. A parent's worse nightmare.

That big boat of yours whatever it cost you, has paid for itself already I'm sure in your mind.

Jim

ps. Glad to see you back Wayne.

Edited by mistyriver1

I'm glad evrything turned out ok. I guess we all should be like that eh? When we decided to meet someon make sure you meet them at the appointed time. And not be late. I'm usually an early person too when meeting anyone.

Wayne,

Indeed a scary reminder of not to take Mother Nature for granted and to always caution on the safe side. I could feel the parental concerns from your post as I read them. And I'm definitely glad to hear that everyone is safe. The sat. phone is on my list now if I plan to go out of cell range for a trip.

Thanks again, be well.

Stan

Glad it all worked out. A lesson they won't soon forget, and hopefully apply to other situations.

I was out canoing at Gurd Lake on Sunday, and nearly got tipped over when my gf had trouble keeping the canoe pointed into the waves (this was the day she decided she wanted to steer!).

I need to schedule these close calls for times when I have a PFD actually around my torso, and not under my ass. :unsure:

Yah I gotta say. Everytime I go camping in a canoe, I leave an extra weather day. I won't do it any other way. Lifejackets are always on Kids AND Adults. There were many lessons to be learned. Over loaded canoes, in a rush, no communication with the person picking up, LIfe Jackets not on, no extra time for a fall back. So many bad things can happen canoeing.

A few years ago at Opeongo I took a group out with me and my son, as we were leaving the launch I pointed out a canoe with two adults, and I said look at those guys, they aren't wearing life jackets, and they don't even know how to paddle properly. % days later when we returned to the Main Launch I found out both guys died 20 feet out from the dock the morning I pointed them out.

A year later my friend lost 3 friends and nearly two more canoeing in a river.

Canoes are extremly dangerous especially on big lakes.

I didn't read the other comments on this thread so I am probably saying something already said.

Anyway a lesson learned thankfullly no one was hurt or killed.

Yikes! Glad to hear everyone is safe, but a scary moment indeed.

It's funny how we get complacent over time with things, yet 1 incident like that and you get snapped back to reality. Safety is going to be on the forefront when I get my boat. You want to go for a ride on my boat, sure...but you'll be wearing a lifejacket and will know where all the safety equipment is on board and how to operate it in case of emergency, no questions.

You should submit this story to Lund Wayne, not like they need the re-inforcement, but if it helps another family choose that boat over something 'cheaper' than you could very well be saving lives indirectly. No other boat I've been on is as stable in rough water as a Lund with the IPS hulls.

Tony

I am glad to hear everything turned out well Wayne. Thank you for sharing your experience, it is a good reminder for everyone how mother nature can turn ugly very quickly. I bet you kissed your big Lund when you made it back to the dock safely!

Be safe out there!

Aaron

W O W ! ! !

I was blown away reading this. Irish, thank everything that's holy to you for everyone making it back safely. All that have read this have learned a lesson or two regarding canoeing and boating in general, not to mention those that were there. PFDs ARE important, it's not a silly regulation, it's common freaking sense. I'm not a conoeing expert by no means, I've only been in one about a dozen times, my knees can be sore, I'll wear the PFD. In a boat, I keep it nearby in calm water, if it's rough, it's on.

Wow!