Season Ending Walleye Report

ccmtcanada

Well, Carole (blyght) and I have concluded our fall Walleye fishing for this year. It's just too cold for us now to get out there. We have been saving our pics for the past few weeks and will post them here. Before we get into the pictures, we'd just like to thank everyone on this board. Everyone has been very supportive and has commented on our previous posts. We are newbies to fishing again this year....we took about a 20 year break. Since joining this board, we've heard words of encouragement, advice and a had lots of laughs!!!

Since our big 5 Walleye night a few weeks ago, we've been out a few more times and had success! You'll see from the pics. The scary thing is that there were some that we lost....or we'd have even more pics to share. They are in size order...and yes...blyght KICKED MY BUTT!!!! :D

Carole got this 8 pounder

gallery_60_22_1731.jpg

Carole, again....another 8 pounder

gallery_60_22_5806.jpg

Here's my 9 pound fishy

gallery_60_22_15406.jpg

Carole....yet again!!! 12 pounds!

gallery_60_22_11658.jpg

And....get this....her new personal best....and a huge 15 pound Walleye!!!!

gallery_60_22_18089.jpg

So, in our first real season back to the sport, we've caught lots of big Eyes....my personal best was 12.5 pounds and Carole's was that monster you just saw!!

We've prided ourselves on releasing all of our fish. Unfortunately, the 15 pounder took the bait deep in her mouth and ended up embedded into her gills. There was lots of blood. Carole tried in vain for well over a half hour to release the poor fish. Picture if you will...a cold November night, she's wearing hiking boots, and she's KNEE deep in the lake trying to get this fish to swim away. She finally gave up after she started to lose the feeling in her legs. Well, needless to say, we didn't leave the fish there. It's now laying flat in our freezer...waiting to be mounted!

We cant wait until spring 2007...something tells me this winter will be the longest ever!!!!

Edited by ccmtcanada

Nice report CCMT.A 15 pounder wow! :thumbsup_anim: I am still trying to go over 11.8lbs. :worthy: 20 years without fishing where were you behind bars.LOL :dunno: If I was you CCMT I would avoid going to the boat show this winter you may end up signing for something like fishnin Devil :devil: I hope you have more reports hidden away.Mike :w00t:

As has already been said...BEAUTY FISH !

Now with that big 15 lb'r..don't leave it in the freezer toooo long and have it freezer burn.

I'd think one that size would be a candidate for a replica MOULD as I have a thought they may not have one that big yet but could be wrong. If they need a mould you may be able to do some wheeling and dealing to lower the price on the skin mount if you let them take a mould off of it before stripping it out.

Edited by irishfield

I'm jealous. Really jealous. I've been following your success this season and I have to say that the two of you have really shown what fishing is all about. Getting out there and figuring it out on your own. Sure, you've had some tips here and there from the members, but you guys did the tough part. Congrats!!

It's a shame that the 15 pounder didn't survive. But.... If you really think about it, how much longer would that fish have lived if she had survived? One, maybe two more seasons? I'm no biologist, but I'd guess that she was on her way out anyways. She's well past her prime spawning years and has already contributed to the gene pool many times over. I applaud the effort to release her, but Blyght, don't be down on yourself. What better tribute to a great fish than a professional mount.

Awsome report! And if that's your first year - I can't wait for next years reports to flow

Congrats on a banner year and thanks for all your posts - enjoyed reading them very much.

Ever though about getting into ice fishing - any women that will stand in the water in November - will never complain about fishing in a nice warm hut.

I'll have a hut out on simcoe in January that your welcome to use if you want to give it a try - just let me know.

Don

I agree with Yo.

I'm usually strictly CPR, but after 2 trips to the BoQ, I've noticed how these BIG ones like to take the bait too deep.

My puny 9.5 lb'er was 'supposed' to swim away, but man, did she bleed all over the place.

A team decision was made to keep her for a big fish-fry on the dock. It took me a while, but I became 'ok' with it.

As Yo said though, a 15 lb'er deserves to be displayed for all to see. Not even from a boat!!

Amazing, simply amazing. Well done Cliff & Carole.... :thumbsup_anim:

Cliff and Carole, you did very, very well. Thank you for sharing your experiences. YO said everything I wish I would have said but he probably said it more succinctly than I could have.

God on ya both!

That's it, im tired of seeing these throphy fish. My new goal is to catch a huge walleye. my biggest to date is 4.5 pounds which compared to what i have seen lately is a minnow. You guys are great, nice fish. I'm moving to the BOQ. final.

Nice report CCMT.A 15 pounder wow! :thumbsup_anim: I am still trying to go over 11.8lbs. :worthy: 20 years without fishing where were you behind bars.LOL :dunno: If I was you CCMT I would avoid going to the boat show this winter you may end up signing for something like fishnin Devil :devil: I hope you have more reports hidden away.Mike :w00t:

LOL...no, I wasn't in jail. Life just got in the way....university, marriage, kids, career etc.... We are very happy that we have found our way back though. It's a great thing that my whole family loves to do....and it's great time I can spend with my wife. Don't worry about me....no new boats!!!! We have no hidden reports....unless we go ice fishing, that'll be it until the spring!

I'm jealous. Really jealous. I've been following your success this season and I have to say that the two of you have really shown what fishing is all about. Getting out there and figuring it out on your own. Sure, you've had some tips here and there from the members, but you guys did the tough part. Congrats!!

It's a shame that the 15 pounder didn't survive. But.... If you really think about it, how much longer would that fish have lived if she had survived? One, maybe two more seasons? I'm no biologist, but I'd guess that she was on her way out anyways. She's well past her prime spawning years and has already contributed to the gene pool many times over. I applaud the effort to release her, but Blyght, don't be down on yourself. What better tribute to a great fish than a professional mount.

Wow...thanks for your kind words yo!!!! I'm glad to see that our post prompted you to write your first post on this board. Hope to hear more from you now that you have! Will we be seeing an intro from you soon?

Cliff

As has already been said...BEAUTY FISH !

Now with that big 15 lb'r..don't leave it in the freezer toooo long and have it freezer burn.

I'd think one that size would be a candidate for a replica MOULD as I have a thought they may not have one that big yet but could be wrong. If they need a mould you may be able to do some wheeling and dealing to lower the price on the skin mount if you let them take a mould off of it before stripping it out.

I am mostly clueless when it comes to this process......never thought I would catch anything worth mounting! Any suggestions on where to start, who to contact etc would be much appreciated!

Awsome report! And if that's your first year - I can't wait for next years reports to flow

Congrats on a banner year and thanks for all your posts - enjoyed reading them very much.

Ever though about getting into ice fishing - any women that will stand in the water in November - will never complain about fishing in a nice warm hut.

I'll have a hut out on simcoe in January that your welcome to use if you want to give it a try - just let me know.

Don

Thanks Don! When I was a kid my brother and I would ice fish......never had a hut though....we used to build a fire on the ice and take our skates to help keep us warm. Not sure if we will be doing any this year but after a month or so without fishing.....you might hear from us. In regards to next years reports, I am not sure I can ever come close to a season like this again, but definitely going to try :)

I wanted to thank everyone also for your remarks on the non-release, I feel a bit better about it now.

blyght

Edited by blyght