The West is the BEST!!!

banger

An old fishing friend of mine, told me many years ago this...

Wind from the west, IS THE BEST!

Wind from the east, the fisherman will catch the least.

Wind from the North, the fisherman does not go forth.

Wind from the South, the bait falls in there mouth.

Now over the years, I've found most of this to be true.And I've planned fishing days around the wind.

I know it's more to do with low preasures & high preasures. but...

Whatcha think?

Oh yeah, today is SW wind.

Cya I'm going :Gonefishing:

I think it's a pretty good general guide.

East winds usually mean a cold front is passing through.

North winds mean the cold front passed and the fish usually hibernate.

South winds mean warm yet unsettled weather so the fish should be biting.

West winds mean fair and settled weather so the fishing should be good.

The wind direction itself has no bearing at all on the fishing.

I don't think it's the wind direction itself but the weather that the wind direction usually indicates as wind and weather patterns usually go hand in hand. Just my own personal theory.

Edited by toronto_angler

A bunch of us from this board spent last week fishing the West Arm of Nippissing.

We all had decent fishing thru the week and the wind was constantly from the west.

Sunday the wind turned a complete 180 and began blowing from the east for the 1st time all week and everyone had their best fishing success of the trip, with more fish boated than any other day.

Draw your own conclusions ;)

I don't plan any trip around the wind.

As far as the east bite the least deal...., well I know about ten people that proved that one wrong last Sunday.

Go Fishing period!

lol Lew we were typing at the same time :thumbsup_anim::lol:

Edited by Whopper

I think it's a pretty good general guide.

East winds usually mean a cold front is passing through.

North winds mean the cold front passed and the fish usually hibernate.

South winds mean warm yet unsettled weather so the fish should be biting.

West winds mean fair and settled weather so the fishing should be good.

Well it seems everyone has a diff opinion on this subject. :clapping:

But I think it's safe to say.The winds effect the weather.And weather has,played an effect on fishing.

Now weather, lol the fishing is effected for the better or worse ???

I guess it depends :Gonefishing:

Winds from the north - large waves on Huron

Winds from the south - large waves on Erie /ontario

Winds after a night of drinking and wings, Make sure you have the canopee open :)

The systems that it brings is how the fish respond :)

PRICELESS.

LOL

well i do think that it does affect the fishing,as well as the east wind brings bad weather and usually a low pressure system...i prefer to fish in a stable wind from the west as it usually brings in good calm fishing weather...the south wind can be very good fishing to at least on lake ontario anyway...but i think you will get lots of different views on this question thanks for starting this interesting thread...chee3rs :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

This subject comes up quite frequently around here and always brings up some interesting responses, infact alot of guys will actually cancel their fishing plans if the conditions aren't exactly the way they like them.

The fish are still in the water, no matter what the conditions are, rain, snow, bluebird sky's, winds from different directions, hi pressure, lo pressure, it doesn't matter, their still there.

If they aren't active and you can't catch them, it's time to change your strategy from what your currently doing. Either speed up your retrieve, or slow down, go to a bigger bait, or maybe go smaller, maybe even try deeper water or come in shallower, but don't give up on it.

I've caught an awful lot of very nice fish when everybody figured the conditions were poor.

Couple weeks back I fished with Meeley under what I consider tough conditions, bright blue sky's, very clear water and not a breath of wind. We changed up our game plan, switched over to deep diving cranks and put them down in the weeds and we boated 3 nice muskies in a couple hours.

It sometimes just takes a few minor changes in your game plan when things seem tough and you'll often come out the winner.

I'm fish'n for muskies with Squid tomorrow and their calling for rain and T-storms, then I'm hooking up with Mattyk on Sunday and it's sposed to be bluebird sky's and hot.

We'll use some different game plans both days and see what happens, but at least we'll be giving it everything we've got and we'll see what happens.

Fishing reports to follow on Monday........Maybe :whistling::Gonefishing:

A lot of my fishing was in bass tournaments, planned months in advance and not changed because wind direction, some were really tough because of velocity. Some bays on this side of Lake Erie will get the water pushed out by a strong west-southwest wind, falling water tough fishing?

Only fished 2 smaller tournaments in 30+ years that no one caught a fish, one early spring temps maybe mid 40`s, one in October wind pushed water out of one of Eries bays.

Wind was a safety issue for me, direction? everyone else had the same. Adjustments and making every bite count. LOL I had bad days too, blame it on the wind? LOL I got beat! Better adjustments, lucky B!

Well, I just got back from :Gonefishing: ANd we did ok...

3 Pike, 28 "To 30"

2 Small Bass. 2 pounders.

Not Great, but not bad.

Now it's blowing up quite the little storm.

IT's good to see so many views, on this subject.

Looking back at a log we keep of our big walleye, it's split about 50/50 when it comes to east/west direction. It always seemed to have a north west or north east direction. Only one fish ever came with a southerly wind direction. Strange, considering you'd think a south wind would bring in more bait fish....we fish the north shore of Lake O.

I look at wind direction, moon phase and game activity tables (best times)-but find that it really doesnt make any diffrence. There can be trends, but fish and and game can be unpredictable. I can catch fish in an east wind, in the middle of a moon phase and at mid-day and also get skunked when all the predictions say best conditions.

Guest Trophymuskie

First off I fish for muskies and secondly I'm out there 100 days a year good or bad conditions, I just get up and go.

One thing I can tell you for sure 100% guaranteed is " you can't catch fish from the couch".

I'm sure wind direction/weather have their effects on fish but if you get bad conditions for a week or two are all the fish in the lake going to starve?

I've caught a lot of big big fish on east wind days as well as 6 fish days so it can't be that bad.

The picture in my profile is actually an east wind fish and it also was -5C that day. Brrrrrrr

In my observations over 55+ years of fishing, I've found that it's impossible to catch fish if your line is dry. I've seen some of my best days fishing an east wind and some worst days fishing a west wind. The area that I fish for salmon from shore works with a wind that blows up big waves.