Advertising guiding services

Headhunter

A good friend of mine has been guiding for a number of years and he and I were talking about how he can potentially increase the number of charters he does per year. We talked about advertising in magazines and bantered back and forth which publications should be considered.

Any ideas which publications you'd consider a good investment for his advertising dollars and why?

Thanks all!

HH

The top fishing guides in Ontario (and elsewhere) advertise on our (and other) site for a reason. It's called target marketing as opposed to shotgun. People on fishing sites for the most part are people interested in fishing, finding new places to fish, finding new people to fish with and to share knowledge about fishing.

HH, you posted some interesting numbers about about Job advertising yesterday. Almost the very same numbers apply to this business except that the net is on top. He or you can PM/email one of the mods or TJ for more information. Good luck to him.

Advertising here was definately brought up in our chat, however experience has taught him that advertising on fishing sites like this do little to increase business. Folks that frequent here are far more likely to go out on their own than hire a guide. It's like trying to sell Bibles to the choir!

Appreciate the thoughts folks... any others?

HH

Is he a member of the O.S.G.A.? I would suggest that as a starting point if not ( http://www.ontariofishcharters.ca )

Also, if he does salmon fishing charters on Lake Ontario, getting involved as a member of the charter group that can include Salmon Derby tickets for their guests is another way to entice business.

As for publications...Ontario Out of Doors as someone suggested as it has one of the largest circulations out there.

To take that even further, why not have him contact some editors to have them out for a day to display some of his tactics that could be used in an article. I think they call it advertorials when they are really cheesy, but with the right spin he'll appear helpful, successful and a good reference for people who get all hot and excited after reading the article, and as a bonus people can then see his contact info in print at the end of the article...

So many ways, yet there is not one magic solution that will work. Be creative, helpful, honest and make it fun, and word of mouth will take care of the rest.

I should be in marketing or something..sheesh lol

Tony

Advertising here was definately brought up in our chat, however experience has taught him that advertising on fishing sites like this do little to increase business. Folks that frequent here are far more likely to go out on their own than hire a guide. It's like trying to sell Bibles to the choir!

HH

I agree with your point about the folks that frequent here, but half the traffic at this site are not members. Some may be long time lurkers, but I'd think a good number would be "drive by" traffic. Long time contributing members probably wouldn't hire a charter too often...I agree with that, but the active posters are in the FAR minority considering the number of members there are.

I'll be honest with you...when I first came to this board, I was looking up the guides and charters on the ontario fishing network main page and then went to their websites to read up on them.

Whatever he decides, I hope he's successful in his business!

HH

I can't speak for everyone certainly but I know the advertising on OFC has coaxed more than a few dollers out of my wallet and certainly prompted quite a few inquiry phone calls. I think omitting fishing websites from a marketing stratagy would be a mistake and I can think of a few local charter guys that benefit greatly from this site and others by being active contributing members.

-Brian

it may be an incorrect observation but my opinion is that the vast majority of the membership here is new to or re-discovering the sport and would be the target your friend is looking at. sure there are quite a few 'experienced' people here who would not use his services but by and large this is a community of people new to the sport. :dunno:

Oh yeah...where does he fish out of? And how much for a day? See? OFC is already generating an inquiry...LOL.

Cliff he runs a GOLBY Charter.LOL J/K

My thoughts on the mag thing is, people look and trash.If it catch,s thier eye, then they will keep it around or say hey I remember seeing something about a charter,but the mag is in the trash.

Im thinking for the price to run banners on sites,is the way to go. WORD OF MOUTH AND THE INTERNET IS BEST.Just my opinion. Can I get a cut here too boss? :whistling:

Edited by misfish

Guest Trophymuskie

One thing about advertising on a place like OFC, yes the majority may not need what you are selling but there is a lot of avid fishermen on the site and I bet a lot of them get asked for recommendations by friends and co workers.

As well depending on what he's fishing for or where he is located there may be more specifics mags and sites to target for advertising. Like I'm not going to advertise on a walleye site or a bass mag etc etc.

He may also want to contact local lodges and Motels and let them know of his services, maybe even work out a deal and pay them for references.

The OSGA is a great step as well if he wants to operate a fully legit operation, an organization like that makes sure all their operators have the proper insurances as well as the safety equipment and keep up with the latest government regulations. I am one of very few inland operators belonging to the OSGA for over 5 years now.

One of the local Catfishin guides here in the states has joined the fishing community down here and he writes articles and reports on the areas around were we fish. He has a banner ad that he advertises on the site with but due to the input and the contributions he makes he is one of the first guides people call on for a great trip. It is a combonation that is tough to beat and it will cost less money but alittle more time on the internet. The good news is the people that charter him will feel like they know him and most will have some experiance in the fishing world. Besides you all are read here in the States and sometimes we don't have time to do a long trip so we charter while we are in the area on business. It is your call but talking to TJ wont cost you a dime and you might be suprised as to how many hits some of his other clients get.

Art

Not unlike many of on this board, I too have wondered what it would be like to operate as a fishing guide. Imagine fishing everyday, what a life...or is it? Anyhow, this has also lead to me thinking about where the business would come from. Advertising on boards such as this one certainly can't hurt, or OOD, various trade shows that run during the "off season". If you think "outside of the box" (starting to really dislike that phrase, but its true), then there are really a multitude of ways to get yourself known, and increase your business in this type of service sector. Try marketing to people who may not have considered a fishing adventure, or who did, but didn't know where to begin. With a little marketing creativity, he could be off the races in no time, the sky is the limit.

Edited by Tackle Buster

There's one great reason to advertise here. Traffic. Tons of it and most of it is not by the members. 25 to 30,000 page views every Monday and Tuesday.

This gives a link to your website, which if it is well laid out, gives you the chance to bring in clients.

A huge chunk of web business for fishing comes through sites like OFC Community, Quebec Peche, Walleye Central and the other bigger sites.

Message boards are great advertising tools because of their dynamic nature. There is always rest content and always new people coming in.

I have to believe anglers have taken to the internet better than most other hobbyists.

Most of our regulars use advertisers and then report about their success. We certainly can't make someone's business a success, but we can give someone the chance.

Hey HH, I have helped set up few folks in the business whether writing or guiding or TV, although earning a living on the water has been the way the bills get paid, networking and business networking has been a behind the scenes affair for me. From setting up sponsorships for TV shows or getting tv shows across North America in with the various provincial Tourism offices acrross Canada to immigrations issues and work permits for various shows and Provincial Tourism offices from all provinces has somewhat led to my success I suppose and some of what you see today around as far as banner advertising and visbility on various sites

Banner adds, definitely OFC is the highest vise you will get on the net today

it may take some time for folks to acclimate themselves to him but over time and following and support will build

Niagara board might be good also, Walleye central to name a few as Rick has

as many mentioned some reports from him or his guest goes along way

Tourist site listing also a good place to be located, most salmon or charter sites are very good also

Articles in magazines 6 times or more with pics keep your image out there with consistency

be sure to invite outdoor writers

As far as advertising in mags, my success is none, as misfish mentioned most don’t pay attention to the adds in mags, somewhat like news paper adds or jobs advertising, unless your are in tourist or destinational magazine his add will only get lost in the shuffle

Today’s travelling angler uses the net and tv the 2 most powerful media vehicles around

Word of mouth, the most power tool one possesses, learn it and master it, although years of this will build a steady and stable clientele

Belonging to any club or organisation, well to be honest, its not needed although some use it as it launching platform or leverage to their credibility, its nonsense and really does not put food on the table, no need to belong to any association, just because you belong to a charter or guide association does not make one credible or hard working, Transport Canada follows up and inspects all boats that are commercially used and you don’t need to be part of any association to be on the up and up, they simply call you when your in the business because you must comply to federal laws its not a leverage to credibility ,its a standard all guides and charters must follow for you and you guests safety

TV, the most powerful media tool today, I suggest he gets film crews in throughout the season, some bring in clients, and some build credibility. Using both for what they bring is a plus, a major launching pad in my observation and experience, I grew up in TV as my father worked for CTV/CFCF for 46 years, I also worked a few years for the station, once you understand TV and differentiate the shows for booking and shows for credibility, you use em accordingly

I think I wrote up something in the past in reference to guiding also

Please feel free to call me or email me and I can point your friend in the right direction as far as media is concerned

Try to set up several day packages,instead of single days,less clients more several days and conistent trips

Understanding the difference between the canadian market and U.S.A market is a must

Best advice I can give to lead to many years of success is everyday when your days is done,most cant wait to go to bed,your attitude must be I cant wait to get up

everyday is the experience of a lifetime within the excitement of the moment

I dont consider myself an marketting know all but I have been surrounded by the best in the business in which I leanrt much from them and inturn have helped others

Keeps this in mind,the preacher preaches to his parishioners from beneath his steeples and the parishioners spread the good word ;)

The church has been using this for centuries as a marketting tool,it works

be well and good luck

marc

Edited by marc thorpe

I'd buy an ad in the new MRN regs. Probably cost a couple of grand.

Then I would use the internet and maybe some American mags since tourists are a great market for charters - even the harcore will get a guide if they are coming from out of town.

I hope not Roy! Thanks to all who have replied here and via PM's. My goal was not to start any bickering, just poll the group for their ideas.

Thanks again all... some good stuff here! ... especially the Gobie Chartering! LOL

HH