Whats your Best or Favorite Line ?

ADC

I know this has probably been done to death.... but, you try searching "line" and see what comes up!

Im trying to learn from the more experienced fisher'folk and I was wondering what people think is the best 8-12lbs line for use on a spinning reel?

Whats your favorite? Whats your least favorite? Whats the best deal?

Im trying to find some new line and its pretty expensive to try them all so, Im hoping some of you can narrow it down for me as the spider wire just isnt cutting it for me.

I would like some nice long casting, low memory/tangle, very strong line (every single package of line has that on it so who knows?)

thanks

If you mean 8-12lb diameter line vs actual strength then I'll recommend 20lb powerpro. I've been using it on my spinning reels all year and have been very impressed with it (except for the constantly fading colour I suppose - I'm using the moss green). It casts nicely pretty much every time off my Shimano Sahara 2500 and has never broken and doesn't seem to have any/much memory. The 20lb is 6lb diameter so I guess you could go up to the 30 or 40 if you wanted but I haven't tried those diameters so won't speak for or against them. I've also used 8lb fireline crystal on my jigging/rigging setups with success but haven't really used it for casting so can't speak to that aspect of it.

I'm sure the experts will jump in as well, great question.

I don't claim to be any expert, but I used 6-8 lb Trilene XL for about 30 years, and have recently switched to 20 lb Powerpro.

I find the Powerpro more supple than the monofilament.

I found the mono cast better, but was more prone to coiling due to line twist.

Powerpro outperforms the similar diameter 8lb test mono by a landslide when it comes to breaking strength, you can reef on the rod, and not worry about line stretch, or breaking off! That I liked!

Walnow.gif

My favorite line is:

"Hey Baby! Yer face reminds me of a wrench...'cause every time I look at it my nuts tighten up!"

Ya gots to be a red neck. L M A O

P-Line floro clear here for me. CFX Floro for my leads. Used it this week and I was able to haul them out of weeds with no prob.

BTW,Im no expert either.LOL Just a heavy user.

I don`t play around changing brands or types of line much for me Stren since the early 70`s, even some of their products have been bad news (prime?) I also use a little trilene if the price is right. No opinion on the braid, tried spiderwire years ago and didn`t like it, bought some 65# power pro but no real chance to use it.

I tried about 15 different kinds and type of line in the last two years. Now I exclusively use RAVEN green mainline. It is the best bang for your buck in mono line bar none. I pay 16.99 for 1200 yds. I find it better than stren, trilene, spiderwire and a lot of house brand lines I tried. It is incredibily abrasion resistant, strong and has a low stretch. Most importantly is I can ALWAYS see where my line is. The other thing I like about it is that it is made in Japan, and so obscure that I have NOT seen or heard of the Chinese making counterfeits of it yet. Which might not seem like a problem but I have purchased some of the top named lines recently that were just complete crap making me wonder if it wasn't made on the third shift and sent out the back door....

Edited by Canuck2fan

Favourite lines for a spinning reel:

Mono: Excalibur SilverThread

Hybrid: P-Line Floroclear

Superline: PowerPro in 20lb

I use Raven 8lb on my centrepins and I would imagine it would also perform just as well on a spinning reel.

I doubt that I could choose just 1 line for all the conditions that I face in a season though.

My favorite line is:

"Hey Baby! Yer face reminds me of a wrench...'cause every time I look at it my nuts tighten up!"

Thats a good one, I think its too late for me to use that one on my wife though.

Fireline or Fusion, 6-8# diameter. From what I have seen, I don't like powerpro at all, its too limp, and gets too many nests, its very similar to first generation spiderwire, which was terrible.

Edited by Tackle Buster

Have used 8lb fireline for years. Still love it. Casts well, no memory. Gerritt gave me some 14 lb test powerpro to try out but have yet to spool it up. Perhaps in the next few days will give it a go. Tried some 20 lb powerpro on my pike rod and it seems to work very well but havent tried it out enough to give judgement yet.

Thanks,

When I would see that stuff in the store I would always cringe and think $20 my ass! hahahaha

I guess you get what you pay for...

My only problem is I have this knack for getting snagged and tangled and every trip I take I seem to lose a good length of line.

I wonder if it would be worth it for me to pay that much when Im just going to lose it anyways.

oh, the joys of fishing

Lose a few $10 lures on cheap line and you begin to see the value of the better stuff! I used 8 or 10lb Fireline for quite a while (and landed my biggest musky 45" on the 8lb with no leader), but once I got more into muskies and bassing in heavy cover, I switched to 30lb Powerpro (50 on the Musky only rods). You will break your rod, open the split rings or straighten your hooks before breaking this stuff on a snag. But as for lakes with Zebra mussels, it can slice thru your braid like nothing!!!!!

I just recently started with braided line, spiderwire stealth. Tho seems more ppl here prefer Fireline... making me thinking maybe I should pay the few more dollars for Fireline heh :) Tho later when I went to BPS (very rarely), i found it's actually cheaper there ><

ADC, what I do (from reading other old posts here and there) is tie a 2-4' leader of flouro or mono line of abit smaller lb test rating to the braided line. So if the line snagged to rocks etc, it'll break somewhere on the leader, not on the braider line. I've snagged many times fishing off shore... every single time the breaking point was on the leader. Also when be4 i spooled the braided line, I first spooled some cheap mono line so I ended up only needing 1/2 of the 150yard package of braided line. Fishing off shore, the chance of me needing to use the "deep" end of mono-line of the spool is just about nil anyway. So 1 $20 package becomes good for 2 spools. And then braided line, from what I read, usually last couple years or more... whilst mono u pretty much have to change once every season at least. At the end the cost may be more or less the same.

You cant go wrong with spooling up with braid (your choice) and you can tye on 4-6 leads of what ever floro or mono. It all depends on what yer fishing I guess. I run braid on all but my drop shot and one of my tube rods.The rest are braid.If I need to have a clearer lead,like I said I uninote some CFX.

You pay for what you get,and like said,once you lose a few of them 10+ dollars lures,you will spend the extra.