Smoker recipies

Big Cliff

1 hour ago, misfish said:

Just herring hitting yesterday, so kept my 2.

Times have changed!  If memory serves me, the limit on them used to be 25..............not that anybody I knew ever actually caught more than a half-dozen or so in an outing...  But yes indeed every herring went into the smoker!  (And so did most of the whities and lakers......)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

Wouldn't want to tally up the herring I caught all on a treble hook with a pearl wired underneath the hook, just jigging.  Those were the good days.

Oh ya. Minets was a prime spot many moons ago.

Heck,I had 2 hit the spoon yesterday. LOL

20210214_092310.jpg.a3ac29dfdd4c66a05b87da38d2de9c99.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Brisket point and pork belly burnt ends, yum, also did home made beans but forgot to snap a pic. Burnt ends were butter tender and did not last long, also the wife made another batch of beef barley soup with the ojus and added lots of the brisket meat. Can ya'll see me getting fatter LOL

smoked brisket point and pork belly burnt ends.jpg

pork belly burnt ends.jpg

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Thanks giving weekend and I am not much of a turkey guy, but figured what the heck.

A couple of turkey breast that soaked in brine for 3 days. Smoke paprika,garlic,pepper, brown sugar and salt. Sure did smell good .

Smoked 3 pans and pulled , finished off in the oven, 200 for 3 hours. Reached 165, pulled,wrapped in foil. I basted with butter and savory.

One have for dinner,the other for sandwiches.

P8220002.JPG.85d47c6e9ea263683d1ffa79c6b5dd55.JPG

P8220003.JPG.648cbb72da9975dda81cab8b20bb9f8a.JPG

• Like 1

My wife and I attended another one of our God Daughters weddings yesterday, they both looked like they stepped off a wedding cake, handsome and beautiful. My brothers youngest, maybe the last in my lifetime. My wife and I aren't the only ones that gained weight in the last 2 years, 22 months since I saw one brother and S-I-L as well as many, many others. I asked him if he slept with his dogs the night before. I had to explain it to whom ever was within earshot. His hair is almost completly white now . It was a strange day. My wife pointed out we were all cramed into a small chappel, as we emerg from C-19  protocol there will be strange days ahead. I could not believe the number of morbidly obese kids under 40 that attended, most under 30. Not good. Of course there was bacon everywhere. 

• 1 month later...

Going t do a brisket in the morning. My issues is,it is cold,I will not get a heat of 250 deg with my original chief smoker, so, I will smoke 3 pans, then put in the oven wrapped in foil at 250 til I reach the tenderness . I may also try in the BBQ, charcoal .

Whats my best bet here ? Am I missing anything ? It will be a dry rub in to mustard base of Koshar salt,garlic and pepper .

Make sure you trim EXCESS fat first, I render mine down and use it later for other things. If I have little bits of solids after rendering I just salt them and make beef scrunchions 😊.

Instead of foil I just wrap mine in butcher paper, I don't know if it makes a difference or not, thats just the way I have always done it. I have found it is harder to get a good seal with foil and it springs leaks if you aren't careful. 

I did one on the Bbq to finish it, had a heck of a hard time regulating the temperature, the last few I finished in the oven and was quite happy with the results. 

I have always done mine Texas style, just a salt and pepper rub but almost any rub will work. What wood are you using? I did my last one with maple, 3 pans, and it was probably the best one I have made so far. 

56 minutes ago, misfish said:

Going t do a brisket in the morning. My issues is,it is cold,I will not get a heat of 250 deg with my original chief smoker, so, I will smoke 3 pans, then put in the oven wrapped in foil at 250 til I reach the tenderness . I may also try in the BBQ, charcoal .

Whats my best bet here ? Am I missing anything ? It will be a dry rub in to mustard base of Koshar salt,garlic and pepper .

52 minutes ago, misfish said:

Fat on top right ?

Yup, fat on top 😊

1 hour ago, Big Cliff said:

Make sure you trim EXCESS fat first, I render mine down and use it later for other things. If I have little bits of solids after rendering I just salt them and make beef scrunchions 😊.

Instead of foil I just wrap mine in butcher paper, I don't know if it makes a difference or not, thats just the way I have always done it. I have found it is harder to get a good seal with foil and it springs leaks if you aren't careful. 

I did one on the Bbq to finish it, had a heck of a hard time regulating the temperature, the last few I finished in the oven and was quite happy with the results. 

I have always done mine Texas style, just a salt and pepper rub but almost any rub will work. What wood are you using? I did my last one with maple, 3 pans, and it was probably the best one I have made so far. 

Yup, fat on top 😊

Thanks BIG GUY

I have rubbed and will let sit in the fridge to morning, then in it goes. Figured I will have 3 pans of mixed apple and hickory, done by 9 am . Put in the oven til done.

Well big guy,for my first attempt, I am very happy. I smoked like I said, 3 pans of apple and pecan . Pulled,wrapped and in the oven for 7 hours at 250 deg. Talk about mouth watering. Ya,well before it was done. The fragrance was over powering the condo once it reached the 4 hour mark. I was not going to open the door til that 7 hour mark. Pulled and let rest for 1 hour. Then it was time to get a cut,n and serve up with some home made shoe string fries.

Delish is mild to say. I can not wait to do this again, on the grill next time I hope.

PA130022.JPG.03d147e6badcebc6ea45a913f2a02c04.JPG

PA130023.JPG.510782e41a080ad4ac35b53e8bbbcd8e.JPG

PA130024.JPG.e557b5c2fcc0beda55735c576982a47e.JPG

PA130025.JPG.254193454b64048993a786f0039d918b.JPG

PA130027.JPG.1566e9ccac17bcb4c3aa3eb54fd67c82.JPG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

One thing I have learned through experience is temperature is critical for the best results. I use a digital remote thermometer so I can monitor the internal temperature without having to open the oven door. 

Best piece of equipment in my kitchen. Without it, a lot of things just wouldn't be the same. I use it for everything, and it makes such a huge difference. I'm totally lost without one now lol 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

This thread is painful to those who don’t have a smoker...such amazing sounding recipes. I’m definitely going to get one

Thing is there's no need to go fancy either. I've been using a Big Chief electric smoker since the 80's, I'm on my third one now, but have one older one that still works and the original one needs an element, pot and tray. Sure it's fixed temp at 160° but it's all I need for most of the things I smoke and for larger chunks of meat I just finish the cooking process in the oven where I have perfect control. Brian is using the same thing and technique in his condo. They're real handy to use too, mine is on the back porch so I just pick it up and carry it into the kitchen where I load the racks, close the door and carry it back out to the porch plug it in and load the pan. No propane, no moving parts, no controls needed, all in a compact size that holds a fair amount with 5 racks.
Quick story. A while back I ran out of smoked paprika, I started doing my own a few years back and it's all I use now for the most part. So a week back I remembered to stop at a small natural products store in CP where I get my bulk spices and picked up a half pound of Hungarian for just over $5.  I always want to try and fill the smoker as much as I can when it's going. With that in mind I had a half price frozen sourdough loaf that I thawed out, chunked and dried. Just so happens I had recently picked up a generic full pepperoni chub at a price I couldn't refuse. I've had real good results enhancing cured sausages in the smoker already too so that worked as my last rack. So then it's planned for the weekend and best hydro rates too. Smoker was plugged in for four hours yesterday with five smoke sessions. The result for $10 was three racks of golden sourdough pieces for bread crumbs, two glass pie pans of the best real smoked paprika you can get, it was actually quite sticky on the outer edges of the glass after I let it cool, and a darker skinned great smelling sausage that I vacuum sealed and froze half.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, smitty55 said:

Thing is there's no need to go fancy either. I've been using a Big Chief electric smoker since the 80's, I'm on my third one now, but have one older one that still works and the original one needs an element, pot and tray. Sure it's fixed temp at 160° but it's all I need for most of the things I smoke and for larger chunks of meat I just finish the cooking process in the oven where I have perfect control. Brian is using the same thing and technique in his condo. They're real handy to use too, mine is on the back porch so I just pick it up and carry it into the kitchen where I load the racks, close the door and carry it back out to the porch plug it in and load the pan. No propane, no moving parts, no controls needed, all in a compact size that holds a fair amount with 5 racks.
Quick story. A while back I ran out of smoked paprika, I started doing my own a few years back and it's all I use now for the most part. So a week back I remembered to stop at a small natural products store in CP where I get my bulk spices and picked up a half pound of Hungarian for just over $5.  I always want to try and fill the smoker as much as I can when it's going. With that in mind I had a half price frozen sourdough loaf that I thawed out, chunked and dried. Just so happens I had recently picked up a generic full pepperoni chub at a price I couldn't refuse. I've had real good results enhancing cured sausages in the smoker already too so that worked as my last rack. So then it's planned for the weekend and best hydro rates too. Smoker was plugged in for four hours yesterday with five smoke sessions. The result for $10 was three racks of golden sourdough pieces for bread crumbs, two glass pie pans of the best real smoked paprika you can get, it was actually quite sticky on the outer edges of the glass after I let it cool, and a darker skinned great smelling sausage that I vacuum sealed and froze half.

Cheers

Thanks for that Smitty, I’ll look into this. Might be ideal for using at my trailer if I’m allowed. This is really when I’d like to use one as it’s when I have the most time. Not sure how much smoke they give off but surely if campfires are allowed... Nice portable size too for bringing back and forth.

6 hours ago, smitty55 said:

three racks of golden sourdough pieces for bread crumbs

I have been meaning to ask, do you FREEZE the smoked bread crumbs, or just leave them in the pantry?  I plan to do some for a family member that does not have a lot of freezer space.

Doug

3 hours ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

Thanks for that Smitty, I’ll look into this. Might be ideal for using at my trailer if I’m allowed. This is really when I’d like to use one as it’s when I have the most time. Not sure how much smoke they give off but surely if campfires are allowed... Nice portable size too for bringing back and forth.

You can buy a mini chief. Princees auto sometimes has them.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, akaShag said:

I have been meaning to ask, do you FREEZE the smoked bread crumbs, or just leave them in the pantry?  I plan to do some for a family member that does not have a lot of freezer space.

Doug

Doug we put about 1 1/2 C in a sandwich zip lock and then vacuum seal them in pairs and store in the freezer just as a precaution more than anything. Seeing as they are perfectly dry I doubt it's really necessary and I've found an old bag in the back of the breadbox that was still quite fine. I've never seen store bought ones go bad either. In your case I would use a freezer quality ziplock for pantry storage.

25 minutes ago, smitty55 said:

Doug we put about 1 1/2 C in a sandwich zip lock and then vacuum seal them in pairs and store in the freezer just as a precaution more than anything. Seeing as they are perfectly dry I doubt it's really necessary and I've found an old bag in the back of the breadbox that was still quite fine. I've never seen store bought ones go bad either. In your case I would use a freezer quality ziplock for pantry storage.

Perfect, thanks!
I also have a vac sealer, so I could do the same as you do with yours.

Doug

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

When a pan gets going they can smoke pretty good for a while. I've just started using pellets the last few years after my daughter gave me some Jack Daniels brand ones for Christmas one year. Now I buy Pitmaster pellets by the 40 lb bag. I've definitely noticed pellets provide a much thicker and stickier smoke than shavings for sure, it shows on the inside of the smoker, the racks and the front door edge big time.

Here's another idea for you that I mentioned in the cooking thread somewhere. I've been doing spiced and smoked pork chops for a long time now, they are usually a staple in my freezer. When those family size variety pack of chops go on sale I grab two of them which is just right for the 5 racks. I've played with many Clubhouse spice mixes over the years, often with a different flavour on each side. Funny enough I decided to try Curry on one side of a half batch just because it was in my spice cabinet and I love to play with flavours. Well go figure I became an instant fan and now it's always on a half batch. At 160° for 3 hours, with maybe a rack switch at 2 hours they end up just starting to stiffen up and take a nice colour on. To me they're like half cooked at this point, 3 to 4 minutes on a hot grill or cast iron leaves a touch of pink, just right. We always have the best ones fresh for dinner, and the ones my girls don't hear about get vac sealed in pairs usually and frozen. When I want a special treat for dinner months later I can just take a pack or two out knowing that I can bring it to room temp and in 5 minutes at high temp I get to enjoy a treat no restaurant could even offer.  ;)

Cheers

• Like 1