First Post

mj2112

Hello to everyone. I have been reading the posts here for several months and I wanted to share a trip that I just returned from in Ontario on June 23rd.

I took my 11 year old son to Lady Evelyn Lake Garden Island Lodge for 7 days. Not too much information is out on the web about Lady Evelyn Lake so it was a gamble on my part to take a first timer out on but I was happy I did. My friend posted a topic for me here several months ago asking for information on the lake but nobody ever fished it.

It is near New Liskeard and we had to take a long boat ride to the island but the the staff at Garden Island was very helpful once we got there. They take all of your gear and luggage to your cabin which was very nice. The boats were customized Lunds with a 25hp 4 stroke, extremely clean and maintained.

The food was ok, great breakfasts, lunch was pbj, tuna, or egg sandwiches, and dinners were average. Again, the staff was always willing to help out an 11 year old who didn't like the menu items.

The wind was very bad on the lake and for several days the waves for 1-2 feet consistent with a couple of 4 foot rollers that made you reach for your pfd.

Fishing was good but we had some drastic weather changes. The water temp on arrival was 75 degrees F. 3 days later it was 63 degrees F. We wanted to catch Pike but they weren't very active. The walleyes were and here are some pictures of my son catching his first pike and walleye's of his life. He did pretty much everything himself on his first trip. He only fished local ponds and rivers for an hour here and there so for him to make it through 7 days of fishing all day and some nights was great.

He caught a blue walleye which aren't supposed to get very big but his was 25 inches and very nice looking. He wasn't ready to hold it so I had to for the picture but he reminds me that it was his fish.

Bass season was starting the day we left so we couldn't fish for them but a few went after our baits and he ended up catching a nice one. A lot of smaller small mouth were caught but nothing huge.

I have more pictures but I could only post these ones for now. If anyone has any interest in going there in the future just let me know and I can answer any questions.

goodwalleyepicPicture_044.jpgbluewalleyePicture_042.jpgPicture_026.jpgPicture_048.jpgPicture_052.jpgpikePicture_065.jpg

Thanks....I am a Rush fan but that is not my reason for the screen name. I saw Rush a few years ago and they are also playing tomorrow in Pittsburgh where I am from. Can't go see them though.

Hey, that's a great first report mj2112.

By the look of your handle, I'd guess you're a Rush fan.

I'm happy to hear your son got his first walleye and pike.

Those are some good sized chunky walleye you caught.

Fishing with your kids is fantastic.

Welcome to our OFC Community.

Guest Johnny Bass

WOW! Those are some nice pickeral!Looks like you made the right choice! Your son looks peaceful on the boat. I fell asleep once on the boat floor too.The waves rocked me to sleep to!!!

Thanks for the reply's but after I read that post from Mepps on their trip to the Sportsman lodge and saw those pike pictures, I am deleting my fish pictures. Makes our fish pictures look like bait.

It was awesome for me since it was our first trip to Canada together and to see him catch those fish, I was a proud dad on Father's day to say the least.

Just a few more pics that I have to share.

Picture_054.jpgshorelunchPicture_028.jpgPicture_059.jpg

Picture_058.jpg

Great first report, welcome to the board. Glad your son had such a great time, I just caught my first Pike and Walleye last year...I still remember how good it felt :D

Looking forward to your future reports.

Maureen

Welcome aboard MJ

was the shorelunch at the rapids from Diamond Lake. I'm heading into Diamond next week and we always meet up with folks from LE there. Great swimming and lunch spot

Every year we see a few walleye in Diamond with very blue/grey color tinges

Hopefully this will be the start of an annual trip to Northern Ontario.

Welcome to the board....Well that was a great fishing trip with your son ,looks like you 2 had a blast,especially him getting to catch all those fish,too bad about the weather,at least not all the fish had lock-jaw,and congrats on the blue walleye they are very rare....thanks for sharing,and great pics as well....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Lol Marty..... no blind squirrell theory. Just a great guide who knows how to put his kid on fish!

I know they weren't 50+ inch musky but those fish will do until he gets a little more experience.

The shore lunch was near Franks Falls. We didn't make it down to Diamond Lake or Diamond Chutes???? I explored a lot of water but couldn't see everything in one week. There were a lot of nice shore lunch spots to stop and relax at. This one we picked had a bunch of snakes laying around for the kids to check out but they didn't bother us.

We caught the majority of the Walleye near Preacher's Point and Baggot's Bay. Preacher's has a nice sandy shoal with a lot of humps that go from 12 feet to 6 feet deep and around 8:30 p.m. they were in that 6 foot deep area.

I forgot about my trip already and have been showing everyone those Pike that Mepps caught at Sportsman Lodge on Little Vermillion Lake. Jeez, I gotta go there next year.

The wind was very bad on the lake and for several days the waves for 1-2 feet consistent with a couple of 4 foot rollers that made you reach for your pfd.

Great report, especially your little guy so happy. I will be going to Lady Evelyn in September. I am now a tad nervous reading about the waves,,,we will be in canoes. Your opinion please...is that smart or a bit duh of us.

Edited by Chrome Hen

Looks like we're gonna have to start some sort of tradition. You and your boys and me and my boy. Gotta warn you, he sleeps with a stuffed musky every night.

Great report and it's too cool that your son is enjoying it too.

Great report, especially your little guy so happy. I will be going to Lady Evelyn in September. I am now a tad nervous reading about the waves,,,we will be in canoes. Your opinion please...is that smart or a bit duh of us.

No I think it was just a bad few days of weather. I talked to the staff and they said that it is not usually this bad but they have said that it has been worse a day here and there.

I saw other canoes on the shore next to some cabins and there is a bay called "Bettie's Hole" ( don't know why they named it that and really don't want to know) but that is strictly for canoes no motors allowed.