Fishing is like that

jimmer

Over the last couple of weeks I dedicated 2 full days to muskie fishing. I had a follow/hit in the first 1/2 hour of one of those days. Never had another bite or follow.

I went out for about 1 1/2 hour on Sunday for bass. Decided to flip some milfoil for bass and ended up catching a muskie on a flipping extreme craw. Go figure, I catch one fishing for bass, but can't tie into one when targeting them.

One of my favourite stories of all time. A buddy of mine and I are fishing out of Mitchell lake, taking the Trent to Balsam and back. He says he wants a Muskie. I just want action. So he is tossing huge lures, I'm tossing a 2 inch drop shot minnow on 4 pound fluro.

Guess who ends up landing a nice 36 inch Muskie? He was so mad. I thought for sure I was swimming home.

I've had those days. I find that muskie give you an hour or two window when they bite most days. I never know when that window is, I've caught them at all different times of the day. If I'm not casting on the right spot during the 1-2 hour window, I'll be skunked that day. But, I've caught 3 all within an hour or each other. Right place, right time, right presentation. They don't make it very easy for us do they...

been on multiple musky trips with my buddy dave...hes been skunked every single time.

In 12 years the family has caught one g bay musky...dave goes fishing off of the dock last weekend with a texas rigged OSP 3 inch crayfish...just dragging it along the bottom...yup he catches a musky lol

Edited by AKRISONER

. It actually seems to happen often; the bass have bigger eyes than their stomachs.

Always found it crazy how often those silly bass would grab musky baits.

sun016.jpg

sun017.jpg

Cnv2182.jpg

Cnv2181.jpg

Cnv1569.jpg

Cnv1353.jpg

Cnv0069.jpg

Cnv0078.jpg

even little pickerel will get crazy some days

Cnv0603.jpg

Cnv0551.jpg

Never had much interest in bass fishing but always seemed to get them LOL

Edited by lew

Isn't that always the way. We fish in order out on Erie or Ontario for the monster Wally's and or Rainbow and Salmon. We go in order. Of course when you're up you have to go below to the head or aim in the bucket. That is usually when the rod fires. Post penile drip is a real thing. Nothing funnier than seeing a guy on the rod with his pants below his knees, actually I turn my head away, nothing like looking at a 60 something year olds saggy Gatchis (really a word?). Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

This past Sept. out in 25 to 30 feet of water dropshotting giant shiner's for Smallies, doesn't Dominic get a 11 pound Pic that is supposed to be in 90 feet of water. You never know.

OHIO - I did catch a bass on a muskie spinner on one of those previous outings. It actually seems to happen often; the bass have bigger eyes than their stomachs.

jimmer, I watched the bassmaster classics on youtube recently, a couple of guys were throwing muskie sized tubes for bass in California and Texas, one guy was throwing a 6-7 inch spoon for them on Kentucky lake.

Lew some great pictures over the years. I have definitely caught a lot of bass, but especially pickerel on big musky baits. But my all time favorite, early this summer my buddy caught a catfish....thats's right a dirty stinky catfish...while casting a hellhound glide bait

Always found it crazy how often those silly bass would grab musky baits.

sun016.jpg

sun017.jpg

Cnv2182.jpg

Cnv2181.jpg

Cnv1569.jpg

Cnv1353.jpg

Cnv0069.jpg

Cnv0078.jpg

even little pickerel will get crazy some days

Cnv0603.jpg

Cnv0551.jpg

Never had much interest in bass fishing but always seemed to get them LOL

Always nice to see that smile on ya big guy. I can't imagine when you do get angry.

I as well have caught a few big Smallies using the only Musky lure I have. A 24 year old steel/tin 10" Floating Rappala Perch. I use it when I know the Bass are feeding out back and bet those that it will actually catch a Bass with a plug that ridiculously big. I usually win or fish until I do.

Edited by Old Ironmaker