Water ski behind a 8hp?

Rizzo

ya I was thinking about weighing down the bow. Years ago I had a 12 year old waterskiing behind a 9.9 on a jon boat. This is a smaller engine, slightly heavier boat, but smaller kid as well. I'm thinking might be close! If they knew how to ski I bet it could be done. Since this is there first shot I am not sure

when I was a kid (yeah a LONG time ago) I could ski on kids/trick ski's but the best thing to use was those big styrofoam surfboards and we used a 12' springbook with a 7hp Johnson. So if the two in the boat are light then yes give it a go!

Usually, for kids learning too water ski, there is an adult spotter holding the ski rope in his / her hands. The rope is not attached to the boat until they get the hang of it. This is because the first few times they go down, kids tend to have a death grip on the rope's handle and end up getting dragged. As soon as they go down, the spotter should drop the rope immediately. I've gotten close to 10 kids up on skis in the past 3-4 years, just this past year did I buy an actual ski rope to hook onto the boat.

nice! 7hp Johnson is pretty small. This is a 8hp Nissan on a 12 footer. I imagine the second child in the bow as spotter should be enough to way bow down

and it was a 60's to 70's unit... so label could have been over or under powered.

Usually, for kids learning too water ski, there is an adult spotter holding the ski rope in his / her hands. The rope is not attached to the boat until they get the hang of it. This is because the first few times they go down, kids tend to have a death grip on the rope's handle and end up getting dragged. As soon as they go down, the spotter should drop the rope immediately. I've gotten close to 10 kids up on skis in the past 3-4 years, just this past year did I buy an actual ski rope to hook onto the boat.

I did the 'underwater drag' with the bowrider when I was a kid going from the tinner to the big boat. 1 and only time and then the very next try i was up and skiing. However your post is a great idea to not have the rope secure to you don't drag a child like I was as a kid. In the 70's we didn't think of those extra safety steps to be honest... Hey I'm still here however and I got right back at at try 2 right after that cause I was a kid and willing to prove I can do it. Man I miss wakeboarding and skiing

I learned to ski behind an old 14 ft cedar strip with a 33 1/2 johnson. It seemed like it flew back then....lol

Then we upgraded to a 14ft glass runabout with a 50....it seemed like such a hot rod....lol

Boy the times have changed, eh?

S.

Well apparently Dad was more excited than the kids about this....they each gave it a couple of half hearted tries (and only because they were bribed with promises of ice cream). Neither got up but I would think it was more due to lack of interest than speed of boat