DanD

A week ago we were up at Elk Lake for our annual fishing trip. We knew that the camp we were staying at didn't have minnows; so we stopped in New Liskeard and picked up a couple dozen.

Man the walleye went nuts for them; but when we ran out, none of us wanted to make the hour and half round trip to get more.

That's where the idea of making a bait tank out of a used apartment sized chess freezer.

I've found a 5 cu' one on Kijiji for 60 bucks. Amazon has a temp controller for 55 bucks and Lowes has an aerator/filter assembly for about 65. I know there's cheaper aerators; but I want the filter and the 250 gph.

So for under $200.00 I can build a portable bait tank; that could hold 10 or 12 dozen minnows.

The new truck has a built in inverter; but it's only rated for 150 watts (1.36 amps) which is all but useless. I have another 2000 watt inverter installed in the ice hut; I could scoop that to run the freezer while travelling.

The freezer has a 1.8 amp draw rating and the aerator's draw is less then a 1/4 amp. Not sure what the start up draw is in the freezer's compressor?

What pitfalls does anyone see with this idea?

Dan.

I just put them in a cooler with a bubbler and change the water daily. If its too warm, add ice. That seems like a lot of work, and a lot of weight to carry around on a fishing trip. You must have a lot of room, because every time I go fishing, my ride is loaded lol

S.

The weight to move it in and out when full of water and minnows. However the idea is a good one

The tank would live in the back of the truck, while in use; empty it only weighs 150.

I have no idea what those look like inside, but I doubt if they are designed to hold water on a regular basis? isn't there a possession on minnows? The fish laws people might not care for your logic?

Friends have a fish pond in their back yard; for the winter months, they transfer all the fish into a freezer in their garage. They been doing that for years and the tank/freezer has held up well. Mind you it's sitting stationary.

As for possession limit; you're allowed 120 bait fish, per-person. I don't think it would be an issue having 2 bait limits in one tank; as long as there are 2 receipts and 2 people claiming them.

Wouldn't it be the same as having 2 limits of walleye in one live-well and 2 people to claim them?

I'll check with the ministry.

5 cubic feet of water is over 300 pounds, I doubt the freezer liner is designed for that kind of load and the inertia of that water may be a problem when braking, most water tanks are baffled.

Yes I'm thinking of putting a few baffles in; that can be removed when not travelling.

I was also thinking of having 2 banding straps put around the outside of the freezer's shell. The type of banding they use to strap a lift of lumber together.

Thanks for the input people; it's all food for thought.

Dan.

Dan, possibly something like these instead of banding? They can also be used to secure the load in the truck?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-in-x-12-ft-Ratchet-Tie-Down-4-Pack-FH0829/206802316

No idea on the lake, is it possible to trap your own minnows there? It might be less work?

Edited by OhioFisherman

My thoughts on your idea. Take them for what they're worth.

Rather than the aerator I might look at getting a used canister filter from an aquarium. An aerator actually does not add oxygen to the water, what it does is break the surface tension and allow CO2 out and oxygen into the water. The same can be accomplished using a canister with a spraybar, plus you'll have some massive filtration capacity. If you're planning on keeping the minnows alive for for a couple weeks you'll also need to learn about biological filtration, as the ammonia and nitrogen will begin to build up from the fish waste and cause deaths.

If you get me the make and model of the freezer or compressor I'll see if I can dig out the starting amps for you. You'll need to keep an eye on the compressor temperature on your first run, a lot of compressors rely on a ~65F return gas to keep the motor cool, I'd imagine that your return gas will be warmer than that depending on what you set your temperature controller at.

Strength could be an issue, but I think you're on the right track with the banding. Keep those sides in compression and you'll probably be ok.

Dan, possibly something like these instead of banding? They can also be used to secure the load in the truck?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-in-x-12-ft-Ratchet-Tie-Down-4-Pack-FH0829/206802316

No idea on the lake, is it possible to trap your own minnows there? It might be less work?

Yea that could work and I already have a bunch of ratchet straps.

We've tried trapping our own minnows, all we were getting was two or three overnight. That's until someone stole our trap.

My thoughts on your idea. Take them for what they're worth.

Rather than the aerator I might look at getting a used canister filter from an aquarium. An aerator actually does not add oxygen to the water, what it does is break the surface tension and allow CO2 out and oxygen into the water. The same can be accomplished using a canister with a spraybar, plus you'll have some massive filtration capacity. If you're planning on keeping the minnows alive for for a couple weeks you'll also need to learn about biological filtration, as the ammonia and nitrogen will begin to build up from the fish waste and cause deaths.

If you get me the make and model of the freezer or compressor I'll see if I can dig out the starting amps for you. You'll need to keep an eye on the compressor temperature on your first run, a lot of compressors rely on a ~65F return gas to keep the motor cool, I'd imagine that your return gas will be warmer than that depending on what you set your temperature controller at.

Strength could be an issue, but I think you're on the right track with the banding. Keep those sides in compression and you'll probably be ok.

The pond aerator that I'm looking at, draws in air from a floating hose and it has an internal filter.

That filter should look after the fish crap; I just need to research what chemicals I need to break down the ammonia from the urine.

Not sure of the make and model of freezer; I haven't bought it yet.

My son is using the same temp controller, i'm getting. He has hooked up to his home made Keezer; three years now, with no refrigeration issues. The beer coming out of the keg's tap is at a constant 38°

Dan

The pond aerator that I'm looking at, draws in air from a floating hose and it has an internal filter.

That filter should look after the fish crap; I just need to research what chemicals I need to break down the ammonia from the urine.

Not sure of the make and model of freezer; I haven't bought it yet.

My son is using the same temp controller, i'm getting. He has hooked up to his home made Keezer; three years now, with no refrigeration issues. The beer coming out of the keg's tap is at a constant 38°

Sounds like that aerator will do the job. Best biological filter is actually getting bacteria to populate the tank, but that takes 1-2 months to establish. You may be able to look at a cut-to-fit ammonia pad that could be installed in your filter.

Dan the answer to your water is Carbon. It will filter and neutralize the ammonia and other by products. Bulk Carbon( 40 to 60 mesh) can be bought from plumbing supply houses cheaper than anywhere else and 50 lbs will be around $ 110.00 bucks. You will need around 1 lb per excursion. Pre rinse the carbon and put it in a pair of pantyhose with a knot and drop in the water. Temperature is the critical thing the cooler they are the slower they process food and oxygen.

Art